Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 09:12 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
It’s like taxes. Do people who pay zero taxes complain about taxes? If someone isnt complaining about taxes, you know they ain’t paying no taxes.
So with that logic, everybody that pays taxes complains about paying taxes then?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 04:18 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Whenever someone tells me how expensive NYC is, I said it only depends on who.. If you're getting free stuff, this is the cheapest city to live on earth.
Let them know the following as well.

Are you taking into consideration that you would be cramped into living among the poorest of the poor in the most crime infested neighborhoods witrh the Highest risk of becoming a victim of violent crime ?

Ummmmm. No thanks.
Not for all the tea in China.
Keep your free govt. benefits.
I'd rather figure it out on my own.

Greater chance for survival and actually making something of myself.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 321,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So with that logic, everybody that pays taxes complains about paying taxes then?
I’ve never encountered any adult that I’ve had more than a few months relationship (colleague/business/friendship) with that hasn’t complained about taxes. Especially in NY.

If you have, you’re around a lot of people who don’t pay any..

What do you do for work that people complaining about taxes is so foreign to you?

Old 03-15-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
I’ve never encountered any adult that I’ve had more than a few months relationship (colleague/business/friendship) with that hasn’t complained about taxes. Especially in NY.

If you have, you’re around a lot of people who don’t pay any..

What do you do for work that people complaining about taxes is so foreign to you?
Maybe I just worked around people that didn't complain about it. What do you do for work that everyone's complaining? How much taxes do you think you should be paying?

Old 03-15-2024, 07:06 AM

8,372 posts, read 4,382,688 times
I strongly dislike Trump on a personal basis (his manner of speech about people with whom he doesn't identify is repulsive - in fact, substantially the same as the manner of AOC. Is the imbecile smug snarkiness now some kind of social fashion trend that transcends political opinions and positions?) - so, I don't like Trump and find it hard to even look at him while he speaks, but I will probably suppress the vomiting reflex, and will vote for him this year (I didn't vote in two previous elections, since I thought there was nobody to vote for) - and I will do that largely because Trump has proposed a plan which seems to make homelessness a federal (ie, not local) issue. He has not always acted on his speech (eg, despite all the posturing about some kind of a wall, he has failed to secure the southern border), but hopefully he will indeed, as promised, create shelter areas remote from the cities for people who do not work and do not have their own resources to live in the cities.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe I just worked around people that didn't complain about it. What do you do for work that everyone's complaining? How much taxes do you think you should be paying?
It is not an issue of how much, but for what. Taxes are supposed to fund common services that everyone uses, not personal luxury decisions of select people, like the decision to not work but pop out 5 kids.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:11 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,216,282 times
I complain more about the spending, than I do taxes. Hell tax me more, but quit wasting my damn money!!

Old 03-15-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
It is not an issue of how much, but for what. Taxes are supposed to fund common services that everyone uses, not personal luxury decisions of select people, like the decision to not work but pop out 5 kids.
What is the amount of additional taxes you're currently paying that you believe should not be part of your tax obligation?

Old 03-15-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
What is the amount of additional taxes you're currently paying that you believe should not be part of your tax obligation?
I am retired, and my current taxes are small. When I worked (in multiple states, incl NY), I paid about $140k to $170k in total IRS+state taxes per year for many years, which was almost one half of my taxable income. ONE HALF of what I earned with my VERY hard and stressful work - let that sink in.

About a half of NY State tax revenue is spent on freebies including Medicaid and "other assistance", while a quarter is spent on public schools (I don't have kids). If no additional public assistance were given for having kids, and if the uniform housing units of 1.5 bedrooms were provided on inexpensive land (ie, not in NYC) to people who do not work, and if people on Medicaid were asked to make health insurance contributions from their social assistance, I think state taxes could be reduced by at least a quarter:

https://openbudget.ny.gov/overview.html

Re federal taxes, social safety net for majority of the population should be funded by universal contributions (ie, everyone pays to participate, as it is now with Medicare and Soc Security retirement income) - those who cannot participate get a 1.5 bedroom housing unit on inexpensive federal land, basic food, basic medical care, free Internet, free public library, and nothing else. Especially no extra money or bigger housing for having kids. That should reduce federal taxes by at least a quarter, and ideally by about one half (the only indispensable federal obligation, and the main reason why federal government exists, is national defense. That consumes 20% of federal taxes. Social spending (not counting participatory programs like Medicare and SS pensions, to which people contribute all their working life, and continue contributing to Medicare til death) should not exceed spending for defense. Political positions should be largely voluntary, ie, should only pay a minimum wage (the fastest way to decrease federal deficit and assure that politicians have honest motivations!). Those measures should decrease the IRS tax by at least a quarter too, probably more.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am retired, and my current taxes are small. When I worked (in multiple states, incl NY), I paid about $140k to $170k in total IRS+state taxes per year for many years, which was almost one half of my taxable income. ONE HALF of what I earned with my VERY hard and stressful work - let that sink in.

About a half of NY State tax revenue is spent on freebies including Medicaid and "other assistance", while a quarter is spent on public schools (I don't have kids). If no additional public assistance were given for having kids, and if the uniform housing units of 1.5 bedrooms were provided on inexpensive land (ie, not in NYC) to people who do not work, and if people on Medicaid were asked to make health insurance contributions from their social assistance, I think state taxes could be reduced by at least a quarter:

https://openbudget.ny.gov/overview.html

Re federal taxes, social safety net for majority of the population should be funded by universal contributions (ie, everyone pays to participate, as it is now with Medicare and Soc Security retirement income) - those who cannot participate get a 1.5 bedroom housing unit on inexpensive federal land, basic food, basic medical care, free Internet, free public library, and nothing else. Especially no extra money or bigger housing for having kids. That should reduce federal taxes by at least a quarter, and ideally by about one half (the only indispensable federal obligation, and the main reason why federal government exists, is national defense. That consumes 20% of federal taxes. Social spending (not counting participatory programs like Medicare and SS pensions, to which people contribute all their working life, and continue contributing to Medicare til death) should not exceed spending for defense. Political positions should be largely voluntary, ie, should only pay a minimum wage (the fastest way to decrease federal deficit and assure that politicians have honest motivations!). Those measures should decrease the IRS tax by at least a quarter too, probably more.
What you're calling for is pretty much what the US Government did to Native Americans. Majority of the time the land was not arable.

Why can't we ever identify the conditions that create welfare? If we don't need it, then why does it exist?

As to the bolded, nobody is going to agree with you on that. I know City Councilpersons get paid $112K a year, but in NYC there's some districts where that's going to be hard to live on, and you have to live in your district.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City