Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 07:40 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,206,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
I ran a quick search in Zillow. From the last 90 days this apartment seems
Closest to yours https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...82382002_zpid/ .

If your apartment isn’t as renovated and if the building has less amenities then at least a $50K haircut isn’t out of the question.
The monthly fee is nearly $1000 less in your comparison.

The OP should follow your advice and find a better hassling agent?

The only open house I would do is for agents - and solicit their comments?

The staging of OP’s place may help to draw actual buyers who are looking to buy for the same reason OP bought originally.

Hope the OP’s listing has emphasized that. Good description is the key! Pun intended- make sure it hits all the keywords when people/agents search.

More keywords could be better.
Nothing about prestigious schools nearby mentioned - unless I missed it.
That is one of the reasons the OP bought it.

Not sure about the exact location and the quality of the building itself differences but the place below shows better in photos

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare

The OP should scrub the bathroom grout, ceiling and stain the vanity. Cheap and not time consuming.

The buyers may renovate, but you can’t show the dirt in photos while selling in a nicer part of NYC
With high financials as a drawbacks, dated kitchen, etc - at least have clean surfaces.

Oh, yeah - be patient.
With the school added to description- people may start to bite after the school year comes to an end and people plan relocating.

I would remove the emphasis on luxury in the description - the buyers are not stupid, there is no luxury here and could be a turn-off for the wrong target buyer in this case.

The Op and their agent should target a different category of buyers; it is a discrepancy now that may explain the lack of interest.

I know of a wealthy family living for several years in a small 2 bedroom house with 1 bathroom so their 2 children could go to a particular school.
Nothing was for sale in the area at the time, so they endured the inadequacy of the house.

The same could be at play here for a correct type buyer and money isn’t the issue

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-11-2024 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 10:39 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times
OK, maybe I missed something, but your listing doesn't seem to mention the doorman that you do mention in your post here. $2300/mo. in maintenance would be a LOT for a non-doorman building. I imagine that might be putting people off?

Old 03-12-2024, 07:19 AM

1,075 posts, read 552,376 times
I think the problem is that the main #1 photo of the living room doesn't look that nice. This can be solved with virtual staging. I think the rest of the apartment shows well.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I think the problem is that the main #1 photo of the living room doesn't look that nice. This can be solved with virtual staging. I think the rest of the apartment shows well.

That's my 2 cents.
They have a virtual staging photo in that listing
They have a few competitors nearby - with a bit better appeal, but people are looking at the OP’s listing and a few are considering it by “saving”.

It should sell.

Maybe the concern is a fire escape running right by the apartment? Perceived safety?
It may help someone who is afraid of fires actually?

Old 03-12-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
They have a virtual staging photo in that listing
They have a few competitors nearby - with a bit better appeal, but people are looking at the OP’s listing and a few are considering it by “saving”.

It should sell.

Maybe the concern is a fire escape running right by the apartment? Perceived safety?
It may help someone who is afraid of fires actually?
ok, I didn't see it. The front photo I clicked on looks a little not nice, like not cozy, not spacious. Even very small rooms can look nice if decorated right. Maybe I clicked on the wrong listing - there might be more than one in this thread

One thing I've observed over years of owning and coop and seeing others put theirs on the market is that you're right about selling over time.

Sometimes people put theirs on the market and it doesn't sell and then a few months later it does - to someone who just started looking and wasnt in the market to buy at the time the intial listing went

Old 03-12-2024, 10:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 345,601 times
Everyone should relax. It’s only been 3.5 weeks. The market everywhere is soft. It’ll sell as long as it’s competitively priced , it may just take up to 6 months. As long as the OP has time, time is on their side when it comes to NYC RE.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
ok, I didn't see it. The front photo I clicked on looks a little not nice, like not cozy, not spacious. Even very small rooms can look nice if decorated right. Maybe I clicked on the wrong listing - there might be more than one in this thread

One thing I've observed over years of owning and coop and seeing others put theirs on the market is that you're right about selling over time.

Sometimes people put theirs on the market and it doesn't sell and then a few months later it does - to someone who just started looking and wasnt in the market to buy at the time the intial listing went
The virtual staging of the OP’s living room - the one with the green painted walls and geometric colorblocks carpet
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on marketing coop apattment in this difficult market-screenshot-2024-03-12-21.44.49.jpeg  

Old 03-13-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
The virtual staging of the OP’s living room - the one with the green painted walls and geometric colorblocks carpet
Thanks and yes I had clicked on wrong link so never saw that

Old 03-13-2024, 01:34 PM

2,457 posts, read 1,227,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
Also, on the horizon is the heat/cooling improvements the city is putting on the books. If you have an older building and are buying for more than a quick investment or short term place to live, significant costs could be coming to your maintenance overcoming any savings from buying.
Yep that's a total s**t show dreamed up by the green commies. Middle class must be destroyed at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City