Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 04:41 AM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times

Advertisements

Yes I have used care in Miami

There are places like going to manhattan I won’t drive

I take the lirr in from bayside
No subway if I choose not to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 04:51 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Haven’t seen a tangible case made for NYC. Interesting.
There isn’t one.

If I was speaking to a non-NY’er I’d start with, “well I left, so if you want someone to rah rah the place, keep looking.” Then if they still wanted my opinion I’d tell them all the reasons NOT to move there, starting with you’ll have to send your kids to private school or else you’re choosing to risk their safety and mental health. That alone is reason to stay away from NYC.

Only thing to consider if the job is good enough is whether it’s worth living outside the city. I just applied to a another great job in the boroughs. And both of my current jobs are city-based. Can’t deny the place is a cash cow. Living there? Hell no.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-08-2024, 05:11 AM

We were in Savannah

We took Uber to a tourist attraction

When it came time to leave there wasn’t one Uber or Lyft in the area We Called the hotel and they arranged a cab to get us

So you can have little choice sometimes getting around like we take for granted

Old 03-08-2024, 06:16 AM

75 posts, read 40,076 times
Grew up in NYC and have tried living elsewhere but I always regret it and come back. I love the energy of the city, freedom to be whoever you want to be, location near mountains and oceans, lack of extreme weather events, multiple cultural institutions, ability to walk or take public transportation to wherever you want to go, ability to find people interested in whatever you are, multiple parks, and having the opportunity to attend free cultural events.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:31 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Quote:
Top notch medical care. For anyone not in the final 2 years of their life (where 90% of medical expenses are spent) , I don’t think NYC has any tangibly better medical care than any other urban center in the US. In fact, outside of Manhattan, the city’s medical care caters to Medicaid recipients and is literally developing country level.

Public transport system. Unless one is literally poor and can’t afford car ownership even outside of NYC, I don’t see this as a major plus. Furthermore, are we still pretending that the MTA doesn’t suck the life out of and waste the time of its customers day in and day out?

Higher paying jobs? Maybe for certain sectors but my family member didn’t find that to be the case in his case. NYC offers weren’t significantly greater. They would basically cover the state/ city income tax.
My opinion:

I was a Blue collar. Never a suit. Some college.

If your family member was my son, in same position I would tell him to stay put.
Enjoy the slower pace of non NYC lifestyle. If NYC doesn't gobble you
up it will at least rip you to shreds. I know. I lived it. I survived it.
Parents right off the boat. Worked since I was 12 and didn't stop until I retired.
Never been on a real vacation in over 40 years. Enjoying a very humble retirement now.
About dang time.
If you want the same....don't say I warned you. NYC welcomes anyone with open arms.
Those willing to work to pay for the unwilling.
Buyer be ware. Only the strong survive.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 03-08-2024 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-08-2024, 08:57 AM

2,635 posts, read 1,231,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNative400 View Post
I lived in FL for years. Too hot. I love the 4 seasons in NYC. I like the beaches. Easy to drive out of NYC for a weekend in mountains. FL was too same-one note. Beaches could be nice except there were sharks, jellyfish, sea lice and the heat. I enjoy meeting intelligent, cosmopolitan people. In some places you find a somewhat less intelligent, more racist, homophobic, illiterate crowd. You'd really have to say where the choices were to say if NYC was better or not. I also like using mass transit (despite the issues of late). It's fast, convenient, doesn't use gas. I am a little caring about our environment.
Plenty of racism in NYC.

And the public schools in NYC are probably amongst the most segregated in the USA.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We were in Savannah

We took Uber to a tourist attraction

When it came time to leave there wasn’t one Uber or Lyft in the area We Called the hotel and they arranged a cab to get us

So you can have little choice sometimes getting around like we take for granted
NYC is great because it’s clogged by 100K+ Ubers who also abuse public assistance?

Old 03-08-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Plenty of racism in NYC.

And the public schools in NYC are probably amongst the most segregated in the USA.
Actually the schools are less segregated now because more of them are just plain terrible due to changing demographics.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yes I have used care in Miami

There are places like going to manhattan I won’t drive

I take the lirr in from bayside
No subway if I choose not to
Can you show us the data that people in NYC live longer than other urban areas in the US due to NYCs glorious healthcare system?

Old 03-08-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Can you show us the data that people in NYC live longer than other urban areas in the US due to NYCs glorious healthcare system?
can you show me the data they don’t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City