Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 02:49 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,558,383 times

Advertisements

My concern is that they seem unable to forcast properly anymore.

They say snow event and then say 1-2 inches -- because at the LAST MOMENT, they will change it to 5-7 inches. They have NO IDEA what will come out of the snow storm and want to claim they were "right"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 03:33 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

They say snow event and then say 1-2 inches -- because at the LAST MOMENT, they will change it to 5-7 inches. They have NO IDEA what will come out of the snow storm and want to claim they were "right"
Maybe they should be a little more specific in your opinion, i.e. by saying major or minor snow event? Maybe using the word "event" gives the impression to people that something significant will happen. When most people hear the word event, they think concert, lol

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2024, 04:23 PM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

I once read that the average correct prediction rate for meteorologists is 60%. Nice gig, right? How many jobs continue to keep you on and pay you when you do your job right a little more than half the time?

Old 01-26-2024, 04:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 762,949 times
I don’t think anyone can predict the future.

If the news doesn’t report a major storm possibly coming you’ll blame them. If they make mention of it ahead of time and it’s nothing you’ll blame them.

Lose lose for them.

Don’t forgot the flooding deaths a year or 2 years ago from ida I believe it was. Government blamed communication.

It’s weather it’s not easy to predict. I don’t see people dying from a snow event article. Let’s be real here.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,953 times
Doing hurricane season in fl the weather Channel go hysterical with every developing storms in the Atlantic!

Old 01-27-2024, 06:46 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/weather/w...y-nyc/5074795/

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/nyc-weat...-weekend-12524

I'm tired of these agencies calling wolf about a "SNOW EVENT" then details "little to no accumulation."

This is the kind of news that will get people killed and distrust of forecasts.

They are not only giving bad delivery of forecast but causes schools lots of expenses and child care cost for families that are struggling and may miss work if the schools closes early due to failed weather forecasts.
I agree. The weather part of the news forecast went from about 30 seconds to about 3 minutes. It's too much. All I want to see is the 7 or 10 day forecast and I wait for that but I don't watch the entire weather segment. So much drama.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:38 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,224,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I once read that the average correct prediction rate for meteorologists is 60%. Nice gig, right? How many jobs continue to keep you on and pay you when you do your job right a little more than half the time?
Sports.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:37 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,685,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I don’t think anyone can predict the future.

If the news doesn’t report a major storm possibly coming you’ll blame them. If they make mention of it ahead of time and it’s nothing you’ll blame them.

Lose lose for them.

Don’t forgot the flooding deaths a year or 2 years ago from ida I believe it was. Government blamed communication.

It’s weather it’s not easy to predict. I don’t see people dying from a snow event article. Let’s be real here.
I don’t think they couldn’t. 10-15 yrs ago the weather segment on the news were generally short and reliable with just Doppler radar. But today they have access to even better weather data. They have computer modeling that can help forecast weather and still getting it wrong worse than before. With hurricane Sandy. They were pretty accurate until the last few hours they pretended it wasn’t gonna be a hurricane but calling it tropical storm but it was a category 2-3. They purposely reduced it to change the insurance claims.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:44 AM

418 posts, read 232,054 times
TV news needs to cover a wide swath more than 60 miles in diameter. Local and internet is better for where you are or where you're going.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:49 AM

5,526 posts, read 7,120,303 times
Tired of the ten day forecast when they can't even get the the next four days right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City