Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 10:46 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not comparable.

Assuming a prostitute is not trafficked, they still have freedom of choice and there is a mutual exchange of goods and services among consenting adults.

Slaves (and the trafficked) had no choice, no freedom, and no compensation for their labor/services. Slavery in the form of human trafficking still is alive and well in this country. It exists in many forms of labor; not just sex services. Slaves of labor will cooperate with authorities to enforce labor laws. Prostitutes will not cooperate with authorities to enforce prostitution laws.

The best way to eliminate street prostitution, provide better and safer access to the market without subjecting themselves to the territorial control of gangs and organized criminal organizations that control the streets. Treat prostitution as a labor issue rather than a sexual issue.
Prostitution is illegal just about everywhere in the USA except in some counties in Nevada. Plus, I think street prostitution is illegal even in Nevada. You are referring to this as if this was happening in most countries south of the border, where it is legal. In most of the USA buying prostitution can get you in trouble with the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 06:17 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Prostitution is illegal just about everywhere in the USA except in some counties in Nevada. Plus, I think street prostitution is illegal even in Nevada. You are referring to this as if this was happening in most countries south of the border, where it is legal. In most of the USA buying prostitution can get you in trouble with the law.
I wasn't talking about legality. So are you arguing that when slavery was legal it is ok? Right vs wrong and illegal vs legal are completely different things. Do not confuse the two. It is still not comparable to slavery.

A prostitute working on her own free will is not comparable to a slave who has no free will. It doesn't matter that prostitution is illegal.

A farm worker, nanny, or hospitality worker who is human trafficked into this country also has no free will. It doesn't matter that those jobs are legal.

Long time advocate for the legalization of prostitution. I was more active years ago. Many of my friends are or were sex workers. I am aware of the legal status. However, I am NOT a supporter of street prostitution neither are most advocates that I know.

Last edited by usayit; 01-24-2024 at 06:33 AM..

Old 01-24-2024, 06:22 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
In the 1980s they were called 'tunnel bunnies' because they would approach cars headed to/from the Lincoln Tunnel. Pretty low rent hookers too.
And a lot of them were men dressed as women. A PA cop told us once he saw a woman get thrown out of a car on the NY side of the LT, then speed into the tunnel. He radioed the Jersey side with the vehicle description and went to the help the woman, who turned out to be male. The hooker said s/he was doing oral services when the john realized he wasn't with a female and threw him out of the car.

Working at the PABT in the early 80s was interesting and a learning experience for a young woman from the Jersey burbs!

Old 01-24-2024, 06:56 AM

333 posts, read 153,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poi098 View Post
i have nothing against the act itself as the modern woman is by definition a prostitute
Strange take. Does this make modern men rent boys in your opinion as well?

Old 01-24-2024, 07:06 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Slavery's been around longer than 2500 years but we still did a decent job at getting rid of it, at least in the West.
Hahahaha, that's hilarious! There are still many slaves today in "the West":

https://www.walkfree.org/global-slav...ings/americas/

Old 01-24-2024, 09:22 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Prostitution has many forms, high level to low level ones. At the upper level you have women who have arrangements with high priced clients like Donald Trump. Low end ones you have Johns pimping their girls around the street.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Hahahaha, that's hilarious! There are still many slaves today in "the West":

https://www.walkfree.org/global-slav...ings/americas/
That is correct! Some of the most offending job types are hospitality services, agricultural, nanny services, housekeeping, and agricultural. A lot of these slaves work/exist right under a lot of people's noses without them ever noticing. However, rarely is there any attention (or threads here) dedicated to the subject. But sex slavery always gets attention here and in the media. Even worse, they imply that ALL prostitutes and sex workers are slaves which is also untrue.

Of all those job types, only prostitution only treats the victim as a criminal.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:53 AM

528 posts, read 711,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
another one approached me by 9th Ave and 40th,

Old 01-25-2024, 01:30 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,356 times
Isn't there app I think its called tinder there's alternatives out there!

Old 01-25-2024, 02:01 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
It was bound to happen since this was announced a couple of years ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ostitutes.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City