Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 12:36 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Fun Fact: Robert Moses never learned to drive a car.

We can deduce that getting limo’d around took precedence over driver’s ed. It’s an easily acquired taste…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 12:20 PM

5,510 posts, read 3,943,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hm, I don't know about that. I have two books on Robert Moses (one damning him, the other praising him, lol) and the guy was car friendly alright. He is responsible for the creation of many of the highways crisscrossing New York City. Maybe today there is a greater emphasis on public transportation and I think Manhattan is the least car friendly part of NYC. But to say what you have said I don't think holds true for NYC when Robert Moses was the major.

PS. I was surprised to learn that he was actually a native of New Haven, Connecticut. Until I started to read "The Power Broker" (the author didn't like Robert Moses, lol) a few years ago, I thought he was born and raised in NYC. Perhaps that he was native of the suburbs explains his friendliness towards cars.
Jane Jacobs and others led the charge against Moses' plan to build an expressway across lower Manhattan. Would've decimated East Village, Greenwich Village, etc. Here in Western New York, the Robert Moses Parkway in the Niagara Falls area was recently renamed the Niagara Scenic Parkway due to Moses' racism. His legacy is mixed at best. My childhood friend, now a lawyer, knows that I read books on an everyday basis, and he strongly recommended 'The Power Broker' to me, but I've yet to follow through on my assurance to him that I would in fact read it....

Old 11-13-2023, 07:36 AM

16,133 posts, read 6,881,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It is well documented. Look it up.
Diversity and GDP go hand in hand as long as diversity does not get out of hand.

Races and cultures can compliment or oppose your unique upbringing. Some blend well into diversity others don't.
The individual posting is in opposition to congestion Eurpoean and Asian assimilation. I am not offended. Fine by me.
Leaving the city for Texas might be the right move for this person. I can not pass judgement for the way this person feels
unless the actions of this person directly has an affect on me,my family and my property. All I can say is

Best wishes.........

Well done...
I hope the person moving to Texas has read your information.
I am under the impression that more rural areas of the country are
more lenient towards elderly drivers. Less population equating to less
accident related encounters .Not that all elderly are incompetent drivers
but under normal circumstances, aging and reaction time go hand in hand.
In addition, elderly vewhicle ownership can mean the difference between
life and death especially in remote regions of the country. I understand more
rigid driving requirements and enforcements in larger populations. Reduce the
chances of vehicle related death by elderly. Plus, with great access to public
transporatation, the elderly can continue independent living.

Old 11-13-2023, 05:13 PM

860 posts, read 1,340,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Good, good don't need racist people here.
Don't let the subway door hit you on the way out.
And yet all the Indians can spam the forums asking where they can move to be around other Indians, and no one calls them racist.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:46 AM

860 posts, read 1,340,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolobrick View Post
You can go **** yourself and move to one of those **** states. I am actually glad because NYC needs less people like you around that want to drive everywhere. We had enough of dealing with people like you.

I am glad someone jumped you and you got beaten like the subhuman you are. More car centric idiots like you deserve a good beatdown cause you all are pussys. You are lucky they didn't break your teeth.

Go move to your **** states, get bitten by a rattlesnack, and die. Hell has spots still open last I head for people like you.
Wow, you are a nut. Might want to think about how you’re representing this city you love so much.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:51 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,109,898 times
OBVIOUS troll post...

Old 11-14-2023, 12:25 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
You post the most opposite of what is reality.

3rd worlders are pro car? What 3rd worlders grew up driving cars? Numnutz.

The people that love cars in NYC come from the outer boroughs where their families have lived for 100+ years. Numnutz.
Yeah, lol. 3rd worlders are lucky if they can afford a motor scooter they can load the whole family on.

Or a decrepit bus full of goats and chickens.

That poster will LOVE Texas, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City