Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 05:58 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I’m fed up with NYC, too, just from reading all the negative stuff on these threads; and I don’t even live there. Lawl
Lol don't let these posers fool you
This is still the greatest city on the planet
Nothing is perfect

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 06:07 AM

87 posts, read 25,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It is well documented. Look it up.
Diversity and GDP go hand in hand as long as diversity does not get out of hand.

Races and cultures can compliment or oppose your unique upbringing. Some blend well into diversity others don't.
The individual posting is in opposition to congestion Eurpoean and Asian assimilation. I am not offended. Fine by me.
Leaving the city for Texas might be the right move for this person. I can not pass judgement for the way this person feels
unless the actions of this person directly has an affect on me,my family and my property. All I can say is

Best wishes.........
GDP and government spending go hand in hand. Take a look into the details of the quarterly GDP numbers.

Diversity benefitted this country for the longest time when it was a mix of closely related European ethnicities. Today’s diversity will bring this country closer to being some ass backwards Central or South American country.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:10 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol don't let these posers fool you
This is still the greatest city on the planet
Nothing is perfect

Don't mind me. I'm a big fan of NYC, and of its diversity, in all its forms, colors, shapes, sizes.

Mind you, I do sympathize with the frustrations, when they are justified…. That said, yes, it is the ultimate city in a lot of ways, in others not so much.

Part of the interest of NYC is the imperfections, the contrasts are starker than some of the other large metropolises of the world. It is refined, but not in the way Paris and London are, and nowhere as slick and safe as Tokyo, but that is part of its charm, once you get over the perils of living 24/7 in the cosmopolis.

As far as living goes, the rat race is what attracts a lot of people to NYC, to me, it is the least attractive thing about it.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:18 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Don't mind me. I'm a big fan of NYC, and of its diversity, in all its forms, colors, shapes, sizes.

Mind you, I do sympathize with the frustrations, when they are justified…. That said, yes, it is the ultimate city in a lot of ways, in others not so much.

Part of the interest of NYC is the imperfections, the contrasts are starker than some of the other large metropolises of the world. It is refined, but not in the way Paris and London are, and nowhere as slick and safe as Tokyo, but that is part of its charm, once you get over the perils of living 24/7 in the cosmopolis.

As far as living goes, the rat race is what attracts a lot of people to NYC, to me, it is the least attractive thing about it.
The way I feel, I am the rat race
So let's see who gonna out run me
That's the NYC mentality
It's an energy that is unmatched
Energy is reciprocated
What you put in, you get out of it

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-08-2023, 07:19 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
New York City has never been car friendly.
Hm, I don't know about that. I have two books on Robert Moses (one damning him, the other praising him, lol) and the guy was car friendly alright. He is responsible for the creation of many of the highways crisscrossing New York City. Maybe today there is a greater emphasis on public transportation and I think Manhattan is the least car friendly part of NYC. But to say what you have said I don't think holds true for NYC when Robert Moses was the major.

PS. I was surprised to learn that he was actually a native of New Haven, Connecticut. Until I started to read "The Power Broker" (the author didn't like Robert Moses, lol) a few years ago, I thought he was born and raised in NYC. Perhaps that he was native of the suburbs explains his friendliness towards cars.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hm, I don't know about that. I have two books on Robert Moses (one damning him, the other praising him, lol) and the guy was car friendly alright. He is responsible for the creation of many of the highways crisscrossing New York City. Maybe today there is a greater emphasis on public transportation and I think Manhattan is the least car friendly part of NYC. But to say what you have said I don't think holds true for NYC when Robert Moses was the major.

PS. I was surprised to learn that he was actually a native of New Haven, Connecticut. Until I started to read "The Power Broker" (the author didn't like Robert Moses, lol) a few years ago, I thought he was born and raised in NYC. Perhaps that he was native of the suburbs explains his friendliness towards cars.
You could argue every place was car friendly when cars exploded onto the scene. But NYC was never car friendly and the design of the city isn't friendly to cars.
Moses was a scumbag and the reason why so many areas like the South Bronx became crime ridden. All his highways plans never fixed anything and just made things worsse. His dream was to make us into Los Angeles or Dallas which probably is what the OP wants. Ironically, those cities that happened their light rail systems have brought them with even some heavy rail. Nothing like NYC but still something to get changes going.

To make highways inside large cities you either stop them at the entryway and just have ring roads like in many European cities or you bulldoze them through neighborhoods which means massive loss of housing. Clearly obvious which direction Moses took.

This is different from constructing subways which never require bulldozing homes as they take less width even at three or four tracks even when elevated.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 4,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic50 View Post
I lived here nearly my whole life with a couple years in Florida and another couple in Jersey.

This city sucks ass and I hate it. I can't freaking drive anywhere and on top of the congestion pricing and bike lanes, bus lanes, and whatever in my area, I am done.

Nearly everyone in my neighborhood in Queens is gone and all these people from wherever moved in. It was great when it was just white and black, but even the new generation of whites are not like the old ones. They don't have car or if they do, they never drive them and just use the bus or subway. I got nothing in common with them.

I was hoping our city would get rid of all these subways and bike paths, and we could be like Texas with their big freeways, but instead we are almost like Europe. I tried to get people to stop reactivating the Rockaway Branch and some pro-transit guy punched me in the head and spat on me last month.

I been looking at homes in Texas or Tennessee cause I want to be around people that look like me and people that want to be like America not like Europe or Asia. The homes are beautiful especially in Tennessee and I get a ton of space as well.
You can go **** yourself and move to one of those **** states. I am actually glad because NYC needs less people like you around that want to drive everywhere. We had enough of dealing with people like you.

I am glad someone jumped you and you got beaten like the subhuman you are. More car centric idiots like you deserve a good beatdown cause you all are pussys. You are lucky they didn't break your teeth.

Go move to your **** states, get bitten by a rattlesnack, and die. Hell has spots still open last I head for people like you.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:04 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolobrick View Post
You could argue every place was car friendly when cars exploded onto the scene. But NYC was never car friendly and the design of the city isn't friendly to cars.
Moses was a scumbag and the reason why so many areas like the South Bronx became crime ridden. All his highways plans never fixed anything and just made things worsse. His dream was to make us into Los Angeles or Dallas which probably is what the OP wants. Ironically, those cities that happened their light rail systems have brought them with even some heavy rail. Nothing like NYC but still something to get changes going.

To make highways inside large cities you either stop them at the entryway and just have ring roads like in many European cities or you bulldoze them through neighborhoods which means massive loss of housing. Clearly obvious which direction Moses took.

This is different from constructing subways which never require bulldozing homes as they take less width even at three or four tracks even when elevated.
Robert Moses was born and lived in the USA, not in Europe or anywhere else. In the USA it's quite normal to have highways inside large cities. NYC was not the exception.

The fact that highways were created within NYC (in large part due to Robert Moses) is indicative that vehicles, traffic and increasing their mobility efficiency through the city was central in their priority scale. Much of New York City was built before the age of the private car was in vogue and that explains why much of the city wasn't built thinking about cars. A perfect example of this is that while Manhattan is the least friendly to cars section of NYC, Staten Island is the complete opposite of that. When was much of Manhattan and much of Staten Islans built? Before or after cars became a central figure in American urban design?

As for was Robert Moses a douchebag, that way became popular of seeing him once "The Power Broker" was first published and mostly because he is disparaged in that book to a degree that is unbelivable. That was due to precisely he was so car friendly during his years as major of NYC. Many years later came out "Robert Moses and the Modern City" and there he is given a more balanced view (I would say the correct one.) Despite many don't want to recognize this, but moving about NYC to different long distance points within the city would not had been as efficient without the highways he created. Think not just of the cars, but also many of the goods to supply stores citywide and transported in trucks and they hop on highways crisscrossing NYC whenever they can.Tourists that visit NYC more often stay in Manhattan, but the three major airports of NYC are outside Manhattan. Guess what the taxis/Ubers/rentsl cars/etc use to go from the airport to Manhattan or vice versa? They do the entire trip on local roads? Why? No one is forced to use the highways. Not a "douchebag" by any stretch.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-08-2023 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-08-2023, 09:11 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:

Moses forced car-friendly down NYC people's throat! He won in the beginning and middle years. But in the end, folk started fighting back. For anti-car folk, also doesn't hurt to have a Rockefeller take Moses's power away in the end!

Old 11-08-2023, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 1,048 times
Quote:
Robert Moses was born and lived in the USA, not in Europe or anywhere else. In the USA it's quite normal to have highways inside large cities. NYC was not the exception.

The fact that highways were created within NYC (in large part due to Robert Moses) is indicative that vehicles, traffic and increasing their mobility efficiency through the city was central in their priority scale. Much of New York City was built before the age of the private car was in vogue and that explains why much of the city wasn't built thinking about cars. A perfect example of this is that while Manhattan is the least friendly to cars section of NYC, Staten Island is the complete opposite of that. When was much of Manhattan and much of Staten Islans built? Before or after cars became a central figure in American urban design?

As for was Robert Moses a douchebag, that way became popular of seeing him once "The Power Broker" was first published and mostly because he is disparaged in that book to a degree that is unbelivable. That was due to precisely he was so car friendly during his years as major of NYC. Many years later came out "Robert Moses and the Modern City" and there he is given a more balanced view (I would say the correct one.) Despite many don't want to recognize this, but moving about NYC to different long distance points within the city would not had been as efficient without the highways he created. Think not just of the cars, but also many of the goods to supply stores citywide and transported in trucks and they hop on highways crisscrossing NYC whenever they can.Tourists that visit NYC more often stay in Manhattan, but the three major airports of NYC are outside Manhattan. Guess what the taxis/Ubers/rentsl cars/etc use to go from the airport to Manhattan or vice versa? They do the entire trip on local roads? Why? No one is forced to use the highways. Not a "douchebag" by any stretch.
Except cars never increased any efficiency in any large cities. Even the cities today in America that revolve around cars had robust transit systems. Trucks helped in bringing in goods/freight deliveries but every individual car with 1 person driving versus 10 subway cars is inefficient.

Moses was a garbage planner and the reason why the city has the problems it has today. NYC was destined to go the direction of Paris, Tokyo, or London, but Moses pulled NYC towards the direction of Atlanta.

As for Staten Island, you don't know NYC city very well. Staten Island was supposed to have an extension of the subway and it was already populated before the car even came on the scene. Complication was building the tunnel from Manhattan to Staten Island. Even when the Verrazano-Bridge was being constructed Moses refused to allow the subway to run onto the bridge so he intentionally built the bridge in a way that the subway can never be run on it unlike GWB between NJ and Manhattan that has capability.

Houston for example expanded to 26 lanes three years ago borrowing Moses's concept and it failed in three months. Even when car design was adopted in certain cities in Europe like Amsterdam, within a decade they reversed course and went back to mass transit and bikes.

Last edited by chatspicy; 11-08-2023 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City