Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 11:35 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Moses forced car-friendly down NYC people's throat!
When Robert Moses built his highway system, American families were bigger. Traveling around a city with two, three or four pre-school kids on public transportation is hellish. It is much easier to load the kids into a car and drive to any location. Grocery shopping for a large family is so much easier with a car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 12:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Then carry on
You're doing a fine job cleaning house. Maybe YOU should run for Mayor. Most of the members of this forum already complain about you a little bit, so why not do something that makes them complain a bit more.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:24 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvainraider View Post
By the time of the late 1950s and early 1960s, American families were nuclear. Two parents and two kids was the average. Big families were a rarity. The bigger families were mostly in rural areas, but in cities and suburbs it was that typical pair.
Moses had already wreaked his havoc onto the city.

In Europe, Korea and Japan, grocery shops are within walking distance of peoples homes except for that rural areas so they don't have to use their car for every grocery trip. It's actually easier cause people just walk and less hellish than getting everyone into the car, strapping the kids, all the shouting from the kids, etc. In many cases the people I saw had cars, but used them for weekend trips into the countryside.
Well, tell that to the baby boomers. As our generation's name suggests, we remember the late 1950's & early 60's differently from you.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:49 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
You're doing a fine job cleaning house. Maybe YOU should run for Mayor. Most of the members of this forum already complain about you a little bit, so why not do something that makes them complain a bit more.
Haha, thank you for the compliment.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-09-2023, 04:28 PM

193 posts, read 104,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic50 View Post
I lived here nearly my whole life with a couple years in Florida and another couple in Jersey.

This city sucks ass and I hate it. I can't freaking drive anywhere and on top of the congestion pricing and bike lanes, bus lanes, and whatever in my area, I am done.

Nearly everyone in my neighborhood in Queens is gone and all these people from wherever moved in. It was great when it was just white and black, but even the new generation of whites are not like the old ones. They don't have car or if they do, they never drive them and just use the bus or subway. I got nothing in common with them.

I was hoping our city would get rid of all these subways and bike paths, and we could be like Texas with their big freeways, but instead we are almost like Europe. I tried to get people to stop reactivating the Rockaway Branch and some pro-transit guy punched me in the head and spat on me last month.

I been looking at homes in Texas or Tennessee cause I want to be around people that look like me and people that want to be like America not like Europe or Asia. The homes are beautiful especially in Tennessee and I get a ton of space as well.
who cares? why are you announcing your departure. just leave. lol

you lot kill me with these announcements as if someone's goin to say "oh please run-of-the-mill racist.. dont dont leave!"
*insert Rick Astley.. Please Dont Go soundtrack here*

Old 11-09-2023, 05:25 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Leaving NYC is the greatest feeling, especially when:

1. They still have to pay you and,
2. You get a second job siphoning money from it.

That's all NYC is good for: making money.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Leaving NYC is the greatest feeling, especially when:

1. They still have to pay you and,
2. You get a second job siphoning money from it.

That's all NYC is good for: making money.
I can't argue that
The problem is when the money becomes more important than anything else

Old 11-09-2023, 06:09 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I think that’s why so many overlook the negatives. The money is too good.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I think that’s why so many overlook the negatives. The money is too good.
Can you blame anybody

The only resource is money

Old 11-09-2023, 07:05 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hm, I don't know about that. I have two books on Robert Moses (one damning him, the other praising him, lol) and the guy was car friendly alright. He is responsible for the creation of many of the highways crisscrossing New York City. Maybe today there is a greater emphasis on public transportation and I think Manhattan is the least car friendly part of NYC. But to say what you have said I don't think holds true for NYC when Robert Moses was the major.

PS. I was surprised to learn that he was actually a native of New Haven, Connecticut. Until I started to read "The Power Broker" (the author didn't like Robert Moses, lol) a few years ago, I thought he was born and raised in NYC. Perhaps that he was native of the suburbs explains his friendliness towards cars.

Fun Fact: Robert Moses never learned to drive a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City