Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 12:54 PM

3,367 posts, read 1,755,277 times

Advertisements

It's a huge waste of taxpayer money because it just anything the Dems can use to go after their opponents while Biden is sending billions to Ukraine and reports of huge corruption and unaccountable money being transferred to Ukraine government workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 02:04 PM

11,388 posts, read 16,774,644 times
For those who aren't bankers, you need to know that the bank appraises the property and base their loan decision on that value. No bank will lend money based upon what the owner says is the value.

This is nothing more than going after the big bad orange man.

Old 11-09-2023, 02:58 PM

34,181 posts, read 47,478,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
For those who aren't bankers, you need to know that the bank appraises the property and base their loan decision on that value. No bank will lend money based upon what the owner says is the value.

This is nothing more than going after the big bad orange man.
So no bank ever made mistakes?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-09-2023, 04:33 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,346,634 times
The whole thing is nonsense, My house is worth 1.4m, I am assessed on LI at 768k, I fought the township went to the supreme court and got it reduced to 768k from 882k. I got a heloc when rates where cheap based off 1.35m. I'm not committing a crime, I showed evidence of a lower taxable value and the Supreme court mediator agreed. For the Heloc the banks appraiser said it was worth 1.35m, the county says one price, the bank says another. This is normal and know one will know the true price of a property until it sells. My insurance Co says house is worth 1.3m and land 400k because it means they can extract a higher premium. Is my ins co being charged a crime? I assure you I can't sell for 1.7m

Old 11-09-2023, 04:40 PM

1,506 posts, read 782,240 times
Perfect case was this on Long Island. Newsday did a little article. Almost 50 percent reduction in assessment. This is done everyday in real estate.

“ Nassau County will pay more than $632,000 to the owner of an eight-acre Old Brookville estate, and cut the nearly $25 million assessment by $13 million, in one of the largest residential tax settlements in recent memory, legislative and state court records show.

In December, the Nassau County Legislature approved settlement of an "excessive assessment" claim filed in 2020 by a company known as “Old Brookville Residence South Dakota LLC.â€

Ironically few years before this was settled they listed the house for 60 million but it never sold.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The whole thing is nonsense, My house is worth 1.4m, I am assessed on LI at 768k, I fought the township went to the supreme court and got it reduced to 768k from 882k. I got a heloc when rates where cheap based off 1.35m. I'm not committing a crime, I showed evidence of a lower taxable value and the Supreme court mediator agreed. For the Heloc the banks appraiser said it was worth 1.35m, the county says one price, the bank says another. This is normal and know one will know the true price of a property until it sells. My insurance Co says house is worth 1.3m and land 400k because it means they can extract a higher premium. Is my ins co being charged a crime? I assure you I can't sell for 1.7m
How do you know your house is worth 1.4M, because that's what you started your post with.

Old 11-09-2023, 06:03 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,346,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How do you know your house is worth 1.4M, because that's what you started your post with.
Because a home in my neighborhood that is 700 sq ft smaller that sits on a lot that is 4k sq ft smaller than mine sold for 1.45m last week. They have about 100k of upgrades I don't have nor do I want. A fair assumption is 1.4m as someone may like those upgrades of that home and someone may prefer my larger home and bigger lot. shocking it was a family from queens that bought it.

Old 11-09-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Because a home in my neighborhood that is 700 sq ft smaller that sits on a lot that is 4k sq ft smaller than mine sold for 1.45m last week. They have about 100k of upgrades I don't have nor do I want. A fair assumption is 1.4m as someone may like those upgrades of that home and someone may prefer my larger home and bigger lot. shocking it was a family from queens that bought it.
You sure those upgrades were only 100K? Prolly 500K is more like it when factoring in materials, contractors, electricians, plumbers, and thats why it sold for what it did

But it appears you live in an area with high property values. That is a good thing, isn't it?

Old 11-09-2023, 07:14 PM

1,506 posts, read 782,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You sure those upgrades were only 100K? Prolly 500K is more like it when factoring in materials, contractors, electricians, plumbers, and thats why it sold for what it did

But it appears you live in an area with high property values. That is a good thing, isn't it?
What if the homeowner did it themselves ? Or were their own general contractor. I know people who renovate their entire house inside out with family and or friends in trades for no money in labor.

My handy man did 2 marble bathrooms complete gut moving 2 walls and gutted my entire upstairs and redid everything plus floors and including 7 custom closets for 15k in labor. My plumbing and electrical were free from friends who are licensed and insured. A company wanted 60k for labor alone (yea disgusting but this is what reputable companies wanted 2 years ago) . Easy 100k in value for my house for 50k all in. And I got heated floors in my bathroom. Best thing I did was steal my handyman from a major company during Covid that was doing work around the corner from me.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 11-09-2023 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-09-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
What if the homeowner did it themselves ? Or were their own general contractor. I know people who renovate their entire house inside out with family and or friends in trades for no money in labor.

My handy man did 2 marble bathrooms complete gut moving 2 walls and gutted my entire upstairs and redid everything plus floors and including 7 custom closets for 15k in labor. My plumbing and electrical were free from friends who are licensed and insured. A company wanted 60k for labor alone (yea disgusting but this is what reputable companies wanted 2 years ago) . Easy 100k in value for my house for 50k all in. And I got heated floors in my bathroom. Best thing I did was steal my handyman from a major company during Covid that was doing work around the corner from me.
And this is normal?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City