Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:29 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times

Advertisements

Credit card fees are too outrageously high, we're servicing so many middle man just to give what is essentially cash from one hand to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 07:36 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,007,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Credit card fees are too outrageously high, we're servicing so many middle man just to give what is essentially cash from one hand to another.
Agreed. It adds up to thousands of dollars every year, and I'm a very small business owner. THOUSANDS, just for the "convenience" of swiping a card, which is what 99% of my customers use. Those costs are just built into my pricing. I offer cash discounts but almost no one goes for it.

I think I mentioned upthread or elsewhere that one of the card processors is owned by the founder of Twitter. We're making them endlessly rich simply by shopping and swiping.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:18 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
FYI I’ve started using PayPal a lot for my online buying. In many cases I can even Pay in 4. No interest is charged. It’s like using a debit card.

Other than Amazon for a few household things, I hardly ever use a credit card anymore.

I used to buy a couple of outfits every year from J Jill. I used their credit card which gave me 5% off. Recently, they raised the interest rate to 31%. They are dead to me now.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:49 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Agreed. It adds up to thousands of dollars every year, and I'm a very small business owner. THOUSANDS, just for the "convenience" of swiping a card, which is what 99% of my customers use. Those costs are just built into my pricing. I offer cash discounts but almost no one goes for it.

I think I mentioned upthread or elsewhere that one of the card processors is owned by the founder of Twitter. We're making them endlessly rich simply by shopping and swiping.
Square is owned by Jack Dorsey who founded Twitter. Square ain't as evil as visa/MC/Amex. Square made CC a lot more accessible for small biz. Before Square, you had to register with a big bank and have a substantial amount of money and credit for any bank to approve you for CC acceptance. The problem with Visa/MC/Amex is that you're essentially paying for all the bank and money settlements between different banks when your card is used and they need to determine all of the funds, risks, and transfer of money.

Supposedly the Central Bank in the future will get rid of all of these by making it easier to receive your refunds, pay your taxes, and receive pensions without having so many hands.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:35 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
FYI I’ve started using PayPal a lot for my online buying. In many cases I can even Pay in 4. No interest is charged. It’s like using a debit card.

Other than Amazon for a few household things, I hardly ever use a credit card anymore.

I used to buy a couple of outfits every year from J Jill. I used their credit card which gave me 5% off. Recently, they raised the interest rate to 31%. They are dead to me now.
Paypal charges roughly 3.5%, almost double standard credit card rates.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:52 PM

As a merchant I have to pay the swipe fee whether it's a credit card or debit card. Makes no difference.
If I have to key in a card that won't swipe the rate is even higher.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Paypal charges roughly 3.5%, almost double standard credit card rates.
I’m not talking a credit card. There is no charge to pay through PayPal, which takes the money from my bank account. The merchant pays.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:17 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
I’m not talking a credit card. There is no charge to pay through PayPal, which takes the money from my bank account. The merchant pays.
That's the whole point of this thread - the merchant fees

I've also used the pay in 4 feature! I like it for pre-orders

Old 11-03-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
And that's built into the price you pay for the product. The consumer ends up paying for these fees.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
And that's built into the price you pay for the product. The consumer ends up paying for these fees.
I understand that. What I object to is when there is a 4% charge on my receipt. It should be treated as a cost of doing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: