Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 07:55 PM

1,505 posts, read 780,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
No one is asking them to close down because they can't afford credit card fees. If a business cannot afford the fees, then it shouldn't accept credit cards in the first place. If so, the business should factor the fee into the price, provide an upfront statement of what the charge will be, or simply offer a discount if cash is used.
What I'm against is businesses pulling out of their arses what the fee is without the consumer knowing what it will be. It gives me the impression that if they think you are made out of money, that they will charge you a higher fee.

What if the business stopped taking cards and only accepted cash ?

Would you complain that they don’t take card ?

Nyc business must accept cash. You can avoid all of this by paying cash. There are thousands of atms. You can pay in cash or use another business?

When you get a paycheck or deposit into your account you can withdraw it as cash at your banking institution. What’s the issue?

What if a family can’t afford the items at the time and the business stopped taking credit cards as you suggest ? What do they do then?

I believe in capitalism but look at Amex profits. Don’t blame the small business for passing the fees onto to consumer. Some business accepting cards technically contribute to Amex profits by letting Amex collect on the interest from the card charged.

Amex 2022 13.15 billion in revenue
September 2023 14.15 billion in revenue

Higher interest rates because of this horrible inflationary economy contribute to this.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 10-25-2023 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 10:41 PM

6,699 posts, read 6,075,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
What if the business stopped taking cards and only accepted cash ?

Would you complain that they don’t take card ?

Nyc business must accept cash. You can avoid all of this by paying cash. There are thousands of atms. You can pay in cash or use another business?

When you get a paycheck or deposit into your account you can withdraw it as cash at your banking institution. What’s the issue?

What if a family can’t afford the items at the time and the business stopped taking credit cards as you suggest ? What do they do then?

I believe in capitalism but look at Amex profits. Don’t blame the small business for passing the fees onto to consumer. Some business accepting cards technically contribute to Amex profits by letting Amex collect on the interest from the card charged.

Amex 2022 13.15 billion in revenue
September 2023 14.15 billion in revenue

Higher interest rates because of this horrible inflationary economy contribute to this.
You’re not getting my point. I don’t care if a business charges to use credit cards but be upfront about what the fees are before providing the service. That way, many of us can decide whether we want to pay it or not. If one business is going to charge me 2 dollars to use a credit card and another 10 dollars and another zero, then guess which one I’ll go to? It isn’t my business whether a business stays afloat. But it’s my business for ME to stay financially afloat!

Old 10-26-2023, 05:50 AM

29 posts, read 9,218 times
Restaurants are ripping New Yorkers off more than ever before:
[url]https://nypost.com/2023/10/25/lifestyle/tipping-is-becoming-mandatory-but-service-is-terrible/[/url]

My response:
stop going to restaurants.
Stop this foodie mania already.
Stop rewarding bad businesses.

Shut down restaurants with staff that are unauthorized to work and working under the table because it is New Yorkers who pay more for the restaurants crimes.

They steal.

Generally, NYC can survive if we forced 50% of restaurants to close down.
Let the greedy real estate operators eat the missing revenues from rent.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:00 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,733,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol @ the conspiracy theories
How is it conspiracy theories? Its literally what happened:
https://www.newsweek.com/banks-have-...rotest-1680649
https://apnews.com/article/alex-jone...b7c6497d1ce1ae

Old 10-26-2023, 08:23 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Honestly, even though I’m against it - I can’t wait until we ALL go CBDC (digital currency) so that everyone can be just as effed as those of us who require bank accounts to get paid. Sorry, but there I said it. I literally don’t work with cash - why should those of us who get paid electronically be taxed and watched while the rest of the cash paid be set free from taxes, credit card payments and lord knows what else?
"Thank you sir, may I have another"

Old 10-26-2023, 08:43 AM

34,180 posts, read 47,478,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I'm calling it a conspiracy theory because it happened in Canada, not here. And I think it's worthwhile for discussion's sake to bring up what exactly was happening in Canada at that time. This wasn't some innocent peaceful protest with handmade signs and a catchy slogan that the truckers chanted while marching in a circle. They blocked Ottawa and some border crossings with a convoy of their trucks and disrupted business for almost a month, that's why the govt responded by freezing their accounts.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-26-2023, 09:09 AM

6,159 posts, read 2,919,401 times
It's about time that businesses start adding the card fee on top of the total bill. It was completely unfair to build the card fee into the price of the product because it forces cash consumers to pay an inflated three percent to cover a fee for a service they're not utilizing.

Also, I think this is bringing the fact that a card fee exists to a lot of people. I often read: "I pay my bill every month. The card companies don't make a dime from me!" Think about that. Why would the card companies keep your account open if they aren't making money from you? It's because they are making money from you.

For example: If you get $1000 back in "rewards", which equals getting 1% back, and the merchant fee charged is 3%, that means you paid $3000 in credit card merchant fees. If you only get $1000 back, that means the card companies made $2000 off of you. But, realize that everything you purchased was inflated by $3000 just for the convenience of using a card. Is it worth it? Not to me. But, then again, almost all of my in-person transactions are done with cash and most of my bills are paid with a check in the mail.

In my short twenty-three years on this Earth, I've come to realize that nothing good comes conveniently...

Old 10-26-2023, 09:12 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They blocked Ottawa and some border crossings with a convoy of their trucks and disrupted business for almost a month, that's why the govt responded by freezing their accounts.
Completely false.

The truckers followed Ottawa police instructions on where to park. Intersections were kept clear and an emergency driving lane was kept open at all times on every street. They even organized trash collection and soup kitchens for the homeless. Ottawa was ironically cleaner that it's been in the past 10 years.

The reality of the matter is that the truckers were allowed to take over the city because it was politically expedient, just like the politicians in the US on Jan 6 allowed and instigated the riot and storming of the Capitol as an excuse for a massive crackdown (police & National Guard were told not to guard the Capitol and the FBI had several agents in the crowd egging them on, 99.9% most likely Ray Epps one of them)

Old 10-26-2023, 09:55 AM

5,760 posts, read 2,662,828 times
I'm getting a massage, I'm paying cash because it's cheaper!

Old 10-26-2023, 11:20 AM

34,180 posts, read 47,478,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Completely false.

The truckers followed Ottawa police instructions on where to park. Intersections were kept clear and an emergency driving lane was kept open at all times on every street. They even organized trash collection and soup kitchens for the homeless. Ottawa was ironically cleaner that it's been in the past 10 years.

The reality of the matter is that the truckers were allowed to take over the city because it was politically expedient, just like the politicians in the US on Jan 6 allowed and instigated the riot and storming of the Capitol as an excuse for a massive crackdown (police & National Guard were told not to guard the Capitol and the FBI had several agents in the crowd egging them on, 99.9% most likely Ray Epps one of them)
How could they take over the city while following police directions at the same time, what you're saying is contradictory

"For weeks, hundreds and sometimes thousands of protesters in trucks and other vehicles clogged the streets of Ottawa, the capital, and besieged Parliament Hill, railing against vaccine mandates for truckers and other COVID-19 precautions and condemning Trudeau’s Liberal government.

Members of the self-styled Freedom Convoy also blockaded various U.S.-Canadian border crossings. And police arrested 11 people at the blockaded border crossing at Coutts, Alberta, opposite Montana, after learning of a cache of guns and ammunition."

https://apnews.com/article/canada-go...e69f7794637e7f

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: