Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 06:06 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of a child's soul being forever ruined by the image of a pantless junkie masturbating into a flower pot on 7th Avenue.
If we are going to be honest here, there was always a possibility of that occuring in Midtown, no matter who was in charge. Have you ever had the pleasure of walking around the vicinity of Port Authority, ever?

I get what you're attempting to say; I just think you're making a bad analogy to express the fact that you don't feel as safe. And expressing that is ok. But at some point, we need to realize that we can only depend so much on other people for our peace of mind. That has to come from within yourself, and not by hoping someone will eventually do the right thing.

Everything is a business. If you don't like the way your tax money is being spent here (and I think it's safe to say that you don't), then choose another municipality to pay your taxes to, it's that simple. Or, you can make change another way, and run for City Council.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 06:16 PM

14 posts, read 4,132 times
The illegals all need to be deported. And deport all of them harshly.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:11 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
"In the last 50 years, the federal government budget has run a surplus five times, most recently in 2001."

But you feel wealthy? Lol.

What is the national deficit?
Yes. I feel wealthy. I shop on Temu.
Shop like a billionaire................without being one.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:21 PM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchyou View Post
Not sure if you're referring to Trump - but if you are, the fact that he's been indicted 90 times and is still not in prison should tell you something.

Meanwhile Hunter Biden's laptop which has pictures and videos of him smoking crack and ****ing hookers is acceptable.

They are after Trump because he is dangerous to establishment scumbags who are screwing over the American people. If you can't see that, then you're beyond help.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:24 PM

12 posts, read 7,159 times
If Biden was indicted 90 times it would not help his popularity at all, but 90 indictments on Trump is different because everyone knows Trumps opponents are obviously cheaters of the worst magnitude imaginable.

People are beginning to see through it all for what it is, and they are slowly figuring out who is behind it all:

9/11, Covid lockdowns, George Floyd riots, Black Lives Matter, Antifa, Vaccine Mandates, LGBTQ insanity, Ukraine receiving billions upon billion, the opening of our borders for millions of invaders, terrorists, gangs, drug dealers, human traffickers and child trafficking, the weaponizing of America against Americans, Defunding the Police, inserting corrupt and racist DA’s into big cities, and recently everyone has learned the Covid Vaccines just might have been a nefarious assault upon billions of people around the world, and now Israel receiving billions upon billions.

The same group of people has orchestrated all of this disaster.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:56 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,679,883 times
Working off the books will catch up. Social security is one way that hurts people who didn’t pay enough taxes.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:53 PM

427 posts, read 155,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If we are going to be honest here, there was always a possibility of that occuring in Midtown, no matter who was in charge. Have you ever had the pleasure of walking around the vicinity of Port Authority, ever?

I get what you're attempting to say; I just think you're making a bad analogy to express the fact that you don't feel as safe. And expressing that is ok. But at some point, we need to realize that we can only depend so much on other people for our peace of mind. That has to come from within yourself, and not by hoping someone will eventually do the right thing.

Everything is a business. If you don't like the way your tax money is being spent here (and I think it's safe to say that you don't), then choose another municipality to pay your taxes to, it's that simple. Or, you can make change another way, and run for City Council.
By that logic, everything is matter of odds isn't it? Yes, there was a non-zero possibility of witnessing horrors ten years ago. I certainly saw them in the 80s. But we didn't want to go back there, right? Like, that was a *bad time* by most people's estimation. Not an enviable time. Not something we want to chalk up to "business".

And things are way worse now. Not just the odds of seeing human misery, but also palpably, for virtually every American. What wasn't in the odds back then was random, unsolicited crime in a once "safe" area. I knew what areas to stay away from. Now? It can happen anywhere.

Interesting factoid - victims of drunk drivers feel worse about the crash than the drunks do. Why is that? Because drunks can rationalize it. They can say, well, I was driving drunk, I shouldn't have done that, and I won't do it again. The victim though - they were sober. They were obeying the rules, and some random bad thing happened to them. This sort of free floating anxiety is an absolute killer. It's why victims of senseless violence like school shootings are in far worse mental shape than someone who was robbing a house and got shot by the homeowner. These details MATTER.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:14 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
By that logic, everything is matter of odds isn't it? Yes, there was a non-zero possibility of witnessing horrors ten years ago. I certainly saw them in the 80s. But we didn't want to go back there, right? Like, that was a *bad time* by most people's estimation. Not an enviable time. Not something we want to chalk up to "business".

And things are way worse now. Not just the odds of seeing human misery, but also palpably, for virtually every American. What wasn't in the odds back then was random, unsolicited crime in a once "safe" area. I knew what areas to stay away from. Now? It can happen anywhere.

Interesting factoid - victims of drunk drivers feel worse about the crash than the drunks do. Why is that? Because drunks can rationalize it. They can say, well, I was driving drunk, I shouldn't have done that, and I won't do it again. The victim though - they were sober. They were obeying the rules, and some random bad thing happened to them. This sort of free floating anxiety is an absolute killer. It's why victims of senseless violence like school shootings are in far worse mental shape than someone who was robbing a house and got shot by the homeowner. These details MATTER.
It's all about perspective. There's people out there that think everything is great. What people tend to do is align with people who share their ideals and beliefs. If I were to wager, that's prolly how religion got started. I see politics in a similar light - believing, or having faith, in someone or something to make things right. Only your humble mod's opinion. Be well.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-05-2023, 08:42 PM

1,467 posts, read 761,476 times
Censorship sometimes has a lot to do with it. Many facts get censored or deleted.

Old 11-06-2023, 04:33 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Migrants Living Large On City's Dime While Working Off Books

To much diversity creates confusion, too little bias.
It worked for the Roman Empire until it got out of control
and has worked for the Unites States for over 200 years.
However, we must keep watch not to cross that fine line.

Simply put:
Diversity and GDP work hand in hand unless diversity get's out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City