Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 05:21 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
May be true for the Diocese run HS's but Xaverian and Fontbonne are run privately but are Catholic. I.e. the Bishop of Brooklyn doesnt run them.

St. Edmund was a HS run by the parish but has gone private with a Board of Trustees.
In so many ways it really no longer matters if something is run by or under the diocese, reports straight to Rome or whatever. RC church and many of its institutions are in trouble, this is happening not just in USA but Canada, Europe and elsewhere.

St. Vincent's nor any of the other RC hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare were run by archdiocese of NYC or Brooklyn, yet they all have pretty much closed. IIRC St. Vincent's has something in Westchester still open, but since the founding order; Daughters of Charity are now winding down themselves who knows how long that will last.

Problem began years ago when Catholics no longer felt obliged to send their kids to parochial or Catholic high schools and colleges (which explains why St. John's on SI is closing). Nor for that matter choose RC affiliated hospitals or whatever. People on North Shore avoided St. Vincent's and Bayley Seton like the plague. Preferring to go across the SIE to Staten Island or Richmond Memorial hospitals (now Staten Island University hospital), if not to into Manhattan or Jersey for care.

There are many moving targets to this but prime among them is USA no longer has huge waves of Catholics from Germany, Italy, Poland, Ireland and other parts of Europe emigrating, this includes bringing along their huge families. Those that are here aren't having large families like they used to either.

What was propping up many Catholic schools at primary and secondary levels where huge numbers of blacks and others who may not have been RC, but saw those schools as a better option than local public schools. Then came Charter schools which are *free* so that was that.

Even so you still have large numbers of non Catholic kids at RC schools who often come from households that cannot afford tuition. In past the parish and archdiocese carried those kids, but that's simply not a tenable option any longer. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 07:46 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In so many ways it really no longer matters if something is run by or under the diocese, reports straight to Rome or whatever. RC church and many of its institutions are in trouble, this is happening not just in USA but Canada, Europe and elsewhere.

St. Vincent's nor any of the other RC hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare were run by archdiocese of NYC or Brooklyn, yet they all have pretty much closed. IIRC St. Vincent's has something in Westchester still open, but since the founding order; Daughters of Charity are now winding down themselves who knows how long that will last.

Problem began years ago when Catholics no longer felt obliged to send their kids to parochial or Catholic high schools and colleges (which explains why St. John's on SI is closing). Nor for that matter choose RC affiliated hospitals or whatever. People on North Shore avoided St. Vincent's and Bayley Seton like the plague. Preferring to go across the SIE to Staten Island or Richmond Memorial hospitals (now Staten Island University hospital), if not to into Manhattan or Jersey for care.

There are many moving targets to this but prime among them is USA no longer has huge waves of Catholics from Germany, Italy, Poland, Ireland and other parts of Europe emigrating, this includes bringing along their huge families. Those that are here aren't having large families like they used to either.

What was propping up many Catholic schools at primary and secondary levels where huge numbers of blacks and others who may not have been RC, but saw those schools as a better option than local public schools. Then came Charter schools which are *free* so that was that.

Even so you still have large numbers of non Catholic kids at RC schools who often come from households that cannot afford tuition. In past the parish and archdiocese carried those kids, but that's simply not a tenable option any longer. .
Actually Diocese became too inept at running them because it became a bureaucracy.
Moving it to be "private" with a Board of Trustees enabled the schools to only focus on themselves.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Why indoctrinate your children into a cult?

Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Actually Diocese became too inept at running them because it became a bureaucracy.
Moving it to be "private" with a Board of Trustees enabled the schools to only focus on themselves.
Yeah, it's a good move. Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains, NY is an all boys school. It takes scholarship boys from southern Westchester - Yonkers, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle as well as from the Bronx. It's a private school now with a Board of Trustees.

My own theory without any proof - as the Catholic Church sells off land/churches, these schools are protected by their board of trustees. Real estate developers would pay a lot of money for these school campuses. It's no longer up to the Church to decide the future of these schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why indoctrinate your children into a cult?
I loved Archbishop Stepinac. It was worth every penny! There was Jewish and Muslim students too. It was more about learning how to behavior, to be respectful, how to focus and work hard. Any student who started fights or brought in drugs was expelled within 24 hours - unlike public school's turning a blind eye or a slap on the wrist. If you really knew how bad public schools are, you wouldn't ask the question.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-14-2023 at 08:55 AM..

Old 09-14-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yeah, it's a good move. Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains, NY is an all boys school. It takes scholarship boys from southern Westchester - Yonkers, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle as well as from the Bronx. It's a private school now with a Board of Trustees.

My own theory without any proof - as the Catholic Church sells off land/churches, these schools are protected by their board of trustees. Real estate developers would pay a lot of money for these school campuses. It's no longer up to the Church to decide the future of these schools.

I loved Archbishop Stepinac. It was worth every penny! There was Jewish and Muslim students too. It was more about learning how to behavior, to be respectful, how to focus and work hard. Any student who started fights or brought in drugs was expelled within 24 hours - unlike public school's turning a blind eye or a slap on the wrist. If you really knew how bad public schools are, you wouldn't ask the question.
Much depends on who owns land in question and or how said Catholic institution (or affiliated) came to be.

In instances where a religious order themselves bought land and or reported directly to Rome local archdiocese may not be able to get their mitts on property. When each of the Catholic hospitals in NYC including finally St. Vincent's in GV wound down funds from sale of land went to the order, to pay off debts, etc...

OTOH churches and their attached or affiliated parish schools are often owned by the archdiocese which is a whole other ball of wax.

In any even with so many RC hospitals, schools, colleges, and other RC institutions closing nationwide there are some bitter fights between religious orders and local authorities over who owns what.

Katy Perry was involved in a nasty and bitter fight over a convent in Los Angeles that local RC church wanted to sell from under the nuns. Latter had other ideas and whole thing was played out in court.

https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...aramour-estate

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-dies-in-court

https://www.insider.com/katy-perry-n...imeline-2019-6

Old 09-15-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Much depends on who owns land in question and or how said Catholic institution (or affiliated) came to be.

In instances where a religious order themselves bought land and or reported directly to Rome local archdiocese may not be able to get their mitts on property. When each of the Catholic hospitals in NYC including finally St. Vincent's in GV wound down funds from sale of land went to the order, to pay off debts, etc...

OTOH churches and their attached or affiliated parish schools are often owned by the archdiocese which is a whole other ball of wax.

In any even with so many RC hospitals, schools, colleges, and other RC institutions closing nationwide there are some bitter fights between religious orders and local authorities over who owns what.

Katy Perry was involved in a nasty and bitter fight over a convent in Los Angeles that local RC church wanted to sell from under the nuns. Latter had other ideas and whole thing was played out in court.

https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...aramour-estate

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-dies-in-court

https://www.insider.com/katy-perry-n...imeline-2019-6
The Katy Perry thing was so sad. She doing it again. "Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom caught in legal battle over contested purchase of $15 million home" https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-santa-barbara

One bad real estate deal is unfortunately, two bad real estate deals makes her look crazy

OP, you'll want your kids closer to home and have friends in their area. Ask your neighborhoods and your church secretary where neighborhood kids go. My son attended Archbishop Stepinac which was 30 minutes from home. One day, his school nurse requested I pick him immediately. Well, she was not happy when I said I was thirty minutes away - can't say I blame her! There will be emergencies so closer is better. Besides which, I'm not sure I would want my kids on the subways alone, so stay local.

Old 09-15-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Having the order or local church in question run things isn't always best either.

St. Vincent's went under in part due to disastrous mismanagement.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:09 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
OP, you'll want your kids closer to home and have friends in their area. Ask your neighborhoods and your church secretary where neighborhood kids go. My son attended Archbishop Stepinac which was 30 minutes from home. One day, his school nurse requested I pick him immediately. Well, she was not happy when I said I was thirty minutes away - can't say I blame her! There will be emergencies so closer is better. Besides which, I'm not sure I would want my kids on the subways alone, so stay local.
My personal opinion is that if a school is a good fit, it can be worth the commute. I started taking the subway to school in 7th grade. For High School, I commuted to the Upper East Side from Queens and had classmates commuting in from all five boroughs (including Staten Island), New Jersey, Westchester and Long Island. The opportunities available were well worth the extra effort, and I ended up with lifelong friends from across the metro area.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
My personal opinion is that if a school is a good fit, it can be worth the commute. I started taking the subway to school in 7th grade. For High School, I commuted to the Upper East Side from Queens and had classmates commuting in from all five boroughs (including Staten Island), New Jersey, Westchester and Long Island. The opportunities available were well worth the extra effort, and I ended up with lifelong friends from across the metro area.
I agree with you. Many Westchester County boys go to Fordham Prep and Regis. However, MetroNorth is a lot safer than the NYC subway system. Honestly, I don't know if my daughter cope with subway crime/harassment. YMMV.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-16-2023 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-05-2023, 10:04 AM

27 posts, read 17,033 times
Thank you all. I’m still in the midst of searching but I like all the ones mentioned. And yes, we want to live close to the school. There are so many schools over $40K per year! I can’t believe private schools cost btw $55K - $65K per year in NYC.

I don’t want our children commuting on the subway for long periods of time. I talk to parents who have children that commute 45 minutes or more one way. They are totally fine with it but I’m a little worried. Hoping to live within a 20 minute radius of the school but this seems tough.

I can look into the two catholic schools in Park Slope, St Saviour K-8 and the all girls high school. Xaverian has a bus which is great. Fontbonne is farther south in Brooklyn. Notre Dame and St Joseph(k-8) in the west village. Epiphany on the east side. Maybe Loyola in UES?… assuming it’s a completely different vibe and it is more than our budget.

The school doesn’t necessarily have to be catholic but paying more than $40K will be tight. We’d love to pay btw $15-30K per year but not finding much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City