Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,945 times

Advertisements

recently, i moved to an apartment building in manhattan, and shortly thereafter, a couple moved in after me, from the time they moved in they would park their strollers in the hallway outside the elevator during the times they didn't use it. this started a trend which inspired the other neighbors now store their strollers in the hallway too!

tonight since it's raining the hallway is crowded with not only strollers, but open umbrellas cluttering the hallway. it is a very odd sight.

Over the weekend, I went to another floor to do laundry and saw two strollers parked next to each other as well, so it's not only on my floor where the strollers are being stored. is this a common occurrence in your building as well?

I thought it was against code to store strollers, bikes, furniture in the hallways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organizedjen View Post
recently, i moved to an apartment building in manhattan, and shortly thereafter, a couple moved in after me, from the time they moved in they would park their strollers in the hallway outside the elevator during the times they didn't use it. this started a trend which inspired the other neighbors now store their strollers in the hallway too!

tonight since it's raining the hallway is crowded with not only strollers, but open umbrellas cluttering the hallway. it is a very odd sight.

Over the weekend, I went to another floor to do laundry and saw two strollers parked next to each other as well, so it's not only on my floor where the strollers are being stored. is this a common occurrence in your building as well?

I thought it was against code to store strollers, bikes, furniture in the hallways.
It's considered a fire hazard. I would report it to the super, management or landlord and say exactly that.
Last thing you want to be doing is dodging stroller people should have in their apt when trying to get outside fast.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:05 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Yes, it is normal, but no it isn't legal.

People have been leaving prams, baby carriages, strollers, etc... in hallways, near staircases for long as multi-family housing has existed in NYC or elsewhere for that matter.

Comes down to two things; in non elevator buildings hauling the things up (or down) several flights of stairs. This and or lack of space inside apartment to keep the things.

That being said NYC zoning/laws in particular regarding fire safety forbid storing, leaving or placing items in common hallways. It is a fire hazard because occupants and or first responders could trip over and harm themselves in an emergency. More so in a building that is darkened with smoke and or electricity is out.

You can complain to landlord/building manager about the condition reminding them it is against the law, and their obligation to keep common hallway areas clear. But that might get you branded as a busybody and trouble maker.

Alternative is to file an anonymous complaint with 311 that will be forwarded to DOB and or FDNY for investigation. Depending upon findings at inspection building will be issued a notice to correct issue, and maybe a fine.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Yep a ton of strollers, toys etc in hallways

Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:

When I travel and stayed in luxury apartments I saw this all the time. Now me growing up in the projects i have the mentality someone was someone was going to steal the stroller, umbrella or rain boots that were left out in the hallway by the persons door. Strangely, nope. everything stayed and management said nothing. Someone was even bold enough to park a double wide stroller in the hallway and I ended up complaining because I had to turn sideways to pass by it. Management took too long to respond so every morning on my way to work I moved the stroller directly infront of their door. After about a few days of this the stroller never came back.

It is completely inconsiderate to leave things in the hallway blocking egress. When I lived in a 5 floor walk up we had one of those end of the hallway apartments where there were only 2 doors facing each other. the neighbor instead of taking their trash downstairs like everyone else, would put their trash out against the wall between the 2 doors and we would wait till night time and take their trash and lean it up right in front of their door. When they opened the door in the morning the bag would fall towards the inside of their apartment.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:31 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Yes it is common. No it's not supposed to be done.

Every once in awhile people will start doing it again and my building will get on top of it.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:38 PM

461 posts, read 555,873 times
It’s illegal, but it doesn’t bother me, and who the hell wants to be THAT neighbor who snitches on a family with young children? Provided it’s not making it impossible to move in the hallway, of course. And if it is, try talking to your neighbor about it first.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
It’s illegal, but it doesn’t bother me, and who the hell wants to be THAT neighbor who snitches on a family with young children?
It's not snitching its caring about people and their safety.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
It’s illegal, but it doesn’t bother me, and who the hell wants to be THAT neighbor who snitches on a family with young children? Provided it’s not making it impossible to move in the hallway, of course. And if it is, try talking to your neighbor about it first.

Well, aside from the fact that I don't want the coop to get fined (which would trickle down), it really grows and turns into something else. There was someone down the hall from me that started off with a carriage. Then they added shoes. Then they added whatever RANDOM CRAP they felt like leaving outside. I never said anything but come on---why does anyone have to talk to them? We own shares here and we ALL are sent notices all of the time from management who sees there is a problem.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Aside from it being a fire hazard, I think of the poor porters who clean the building. How can they properly mop and keep the floor clean?

In my last building we couldnt keep anything in the hallway but they accepted door mats. Every other day when they floors were mopped all the door mats would be at the end of the hall. Porter moved them to properly clean the floors. My current building we cant have anything, even door mats since they are considered a fire hazard as well. I don't mind. I prefer a safe hallway for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: