Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd say even more so than Trump supporters. It is the only way Bernie's agenda would have come close to working to the slightest bit. Have you seen the population in Vermont?
Have you ever been to Burlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 04:08 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you ever been to Burlington?
Yes. Like most of, if not all, of New England it is whitemansland. New England has gotta be the most racist region of this country. Real progressive with their 90% plus white population.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:09 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
That they are - just as ALL of the housing projects in NYC - terrible! Ain't nothing new there though LOL
They're going in because its the Bronx. But when you really look at it, it doesn't matter, I treat all NYCHA the same. I personally don't care to live more than 10 minutes walking distance from a train station, so a lot of Northeast would never work for me, if I ever wanted to move there. But to me Wakefield/Williamsbridge is the same like East Flatbush and the 90s in Brooklyn. So no secrets there.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-29-2017, 05:48 PM

175 posts, read 134,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
the biggest immigrant groups from the Caribbean to New York are Dominicans and Guyanese. It seems that all other groups are moving to the south (Jamaicans to South and Central Florida, Jamaican Americans to Atlanta by way of New York or South Florida, Cubans to Florida and Texas, Puerto Ricans to Florida and Texas, Trinidadians to Florida and Maryland, etc.)

I'm not sure of the migration patterns of Haitians though we all know Florida is the number one destination; i do know that many are going to Canada now
yeah I never knew much PR's moving to Texas,

I know a lot of African Americans in NYC moved or moving to Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston etc

I know a lot of Jamaicans are in Philly now, Chicago have a decent amount and even Delaware have Jamaicans, Jamaicans are the most mobile group of West Indians, they are likely to move almost ANYWHERE

A good bit of Trinidadians moved to Baltimore, DC, Dallas & Houston

Belizeans never had a stronghold in NYC, they live more out in LA, west coast area because of geography.

Another thing I should add for the decrease in Caribbean immigrants to the US, there is a lot of intra Caribbean migration where a lot of Jamaicans migrate to other Caribbean islands now, particularly Antigua, Trinidad, Barbados, Bahamas etc

a lot of Guyanese go to Trinidad, Barbados, VI, Antigua etc

Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post

I know a lot of African Americans in NYC moved or moving to Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston etc

I know a lot of Jamaicans are in Philly now, Chicago have a decent amount and even Delaware have Jamaicans, Jamaicans are the most mobile group of West Indians, they are likely to move almost ANYWHERE

Belizeans never had a stronghold in NYC, they live more out in LA, west coast area because of geography.

Another thing I should add for the decrease in Caribbean immigrants to the US, there is a lot of intra Caribbean migration where a lot of Jamaicans migrate to other Caribbean islands now, particularly Antigua, Trinidad, Barbados, Bahamas etc

Large number of Guyanese live in Trinidad and plenty of afro Guyanese are moving back to their ancestral land of Barbados since large number of blacks in Guyana come from Barbados via immigration after the abolition of slavery.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-29-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post

Much of the increase in the black population in Philly is from Jamaicans, West Africans, and Dominicans.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yes. Like most of, if not all, of New England it is whitemansland. New England has gotta be the most racist region of this country. Real progressive with their 90% plus white population.
Just because a place is mostly white doesn't mean it's racist.

You can find places that are half white and half black, that are very racist.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM

152 posts, read 109,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Just because a place is mostly white doesn't mean it's racist.

You can find places that are half white and half black, that are very racist.
I agree with you. And there are also those areas where they don't like anyone from outside of the neighborhood. They know who doesn't live there and will question you if you are walking around. This happens in many different neighborhoods not specific to one type of background or pantone color.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM

152 posts, read 109,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They're going in because its the Bronx. But when you really look at it, it doesn't matter, I treat all NYCHA the same. I personally don't care to live more than 10 minutes walking distance from a train station, so a lot of Northeast would never work for me, if I ever wanted to move there. But to me Wakefield/Williamsbridge is the same like East Flatbush and the 90s in Brooklyn. So no secrets there.
haha yeah I get it. I guess because I don't take the train (usually the express bus or metro north) I didn't factor that in. I can definitely see your point. Funny most Bronx people I know who hang out in BK say BK is way worse...these are West Indian guys who have family in both areas. I don't spend too much time in Wakefield though so you might be correct on that too 90's BK wow yeah I remember in HS we didn't even trust the guys from BK who were into selling Polo gear, they would zoe people lol

Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
haha yeah I get it. I guess because I don't take the train (usually the express bus or metro north) I didn't factor that in. I can definitely see your point. Funny most Bronx people I know who hang out in BK say BK is way worse...these are West Indian guys who have family in both areas. I don't spend too much time in Wakefield though so you might be correct on that too 90's BK wow yeah I remember in HS we didn't even trust the guys from BK who were into selling Polo gear, they would zoe people lol
I dont buy into that boro hype haha. Every boro has an area where you gotta be careful at night time so it doesnt matter. Thats just people talking because they dont know how to move and are unfamiliar, so when they go to a different hood, they feel unfamiliar, so they look unfamiliar....all hoods are the same. I have love for them all. People would be surprised how similar BK and the BX are. IMO only thing Bronx got that Brooklyn doesnt is the hills. Otherwise a lot of neighborhoods in the two boroughs are mirror images of each other:

Co-op City = Starrett City
South Bronx = Brownsville
Williamsbridge = East Flatbush
Concourse = Flatbush
Country Club = Marine Park
Bay Ridge = Pelham Bay

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-30-2017 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City