Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
For who? LOL
It is a great location if you work in Westchester county and you can get to the city pretty quick either by taking Metro North or the Express bus. You can actually own a car here because there is parking. And oh...the dollar vans! Plus the 2 and 5 train is right there.

yuh dun kno?...lol shhhhhhh
Careful now...all good things come to an end. Gentrifiers might head that way soon. Anything can happen in the city these days right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
Quote:
Wakefield is definitely not the greatest area and it also has more 6 story buildings etc. and there are housing projects in the nearby areas so yeah. However, there are still many working class West Indians who are great neighbors. A lot of people drive to work in Westchester from there and they do have access to Metro North and express bus directly to Manhattan. The prices aren't all that cheap actually (maybe the apartments but not the houses). Crime is definitely an issue (in the entire boro for that matter) but not as much as in some West Indian areas in Brooklyn or even Westchester (e.g Mount Vernon).

I do love many of the business and would not want to see them go. Lots of family owned spots that have been around forever. Also for the most part people are polite to one another and in the summer the area has some awesome block parties and backyard BBQ's. I don't see the community shrinking at all, that was my point....sorry I digressed LOL
Maybe I'll stop by as the summer peters out. I have friends in the Allerton projects (forget what they're called, Parkside?) and down in Pelham Parkway. I usually go west or east to Belmont (Arthur Ave area) or City Island to hang out up there.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
For who? LOL
It is a great location if you work in Westchester county and you can get to the city pretty quick either by taking Metro North or the Express bus. You can actually own a car here because there is parking. And oh...the dollar vans! Plus the 2 and 5 train is right there.

yuh dun kno?...lol shhhhhhh
Most of the Bronx is a pain to reach and those areas are no different, but do agree that Metro North and express buses help. However, those Metro North stops tend to be out of the way. The 2 and 5 may be *right there* but they can crawl in the Bronx and any so called *express* service can become local before you know it, not to mention the stairs! Those stations seem so high up. Stairway to Heaven.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Wakefield is definitely not the greatest area and it also has more 6 story buildings etc. and there are housing projects in the nearby areas so yeah. However, there are still many working class West Indians who are great neighbors. A lot of people drive to work in Westchester from there and they do have access to Metro North and express bus directly to Manhattan. The prices aren't all that cheap actually (maybe the apartments but not the houses). Crime is definitely an issue (in the entire boro for that matter) but not as much as in some West Indian areas in Brooklyn or even Westchester (e.g Mount Vernon).

I do love many of the business and would not want to see them go. Lots of family owned spots that have been around forever. Also for the most part people are polite to one another and in the summer the area has some awesome block parties and backyard BBQ's. I don't see the community shrinking at all, that was my point....sorry I digressed LOL
Cough cough edenwald projects are infamous. Across the street Bay Chester projects are no better.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Cough cough edenwald projects are infamous. Across the street Bay Chester projects are no better.
I went to high school across the street from the Edenwald projects (Catholic school to boot, so we were in uniforms that clearly identified us). The city provided special buses for the students so we wouldn't have to wait at the regular bus stop because so many kids were jumped over the years (anecdotally, anyway....not sure of actual stats). We were always cautioned that if we missed the special or were taking the bus at off peak times, to make sure we were never waiting at the stop alone.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM

368 posts, read 453,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
the biggest immigrant groups from the Caribbean to New York are Dominicans and Guyanese. It seems that all other groups are moving to the south (Jamaicans to South and Central Florida, Jamaican Americans to Atlanta by way of New York or South Florida, Cubans to Florida and Texas, Puerto Ricans to Florida and Texas, Trinidadians to Florida and Maryland, etc.)

I'm not sure of the migration patterns of Haitians though we all know Florida is the number one destination; i do know that many are going to Canada now
Florida and *Pennsylvania

Fixed that for you.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM

152 posts, read 109,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Careful now...all good things come to an end. Gentrifiers might head that way soon. Anything can happen in the city these days right?
Well its good but not all good and cities always change. It used to be a mostly Italian neighborhood and now it is not. It may change again and again and again. But for right now let me enjoy mi yard food and culture. I welcome all people....as long as you are a decent person....welcome to the neighborhood mine or any other in this city. ya dig?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Maybe I'll stop by as the summer peters out. I have friends in the Allerton projects (forget what they're called, Parkside?) and down in Pelham Parkway. I usually go west or east to Belmont (Arthur Ave area) or City Island to hang out up there.
If you are stopping by you must try food from either Dumplin shop (near Coop close to I95 in the valley), or Jackie's Bakery near 22nd shopping center (close to Edenwald) or Fish and Ting (Boston Rd near Connor Street). Man they are so good. They are not in Wakefield though :-( Just call first because you know how it goes ...you show up and ask for (such and such plate) and get ....we nuh have dat. LOL

Not to you Java but regarding this topic in general -
haha everybody going in about this area and the projects....I get it but it's NYC this ain't nothin' new friends. Take an Uber or drive, stay aware and use your smarts LOL

Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That they are - just as ALL of the housing projects in NYC - terrible! Ain't nothing new there though LOL

Old 08-29-2017, 02:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to characterize Bernie supporters as being anti-immigration
I'd say even more so than Trump supporters. It is the only way Bernie's agenda would have come close to working to the slightest bit. Have you seen the population in Vermont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City