Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM

54 posts, read 247,334 times

Advertisements

hello,
i failed the NJ written test which is done on the pc at DMV, they have asked me to come again after a week, just wondering, would that be the only chance i will get to pass the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,501 times
No, you can take as many test as needed to pass the written test, however, it is better that you study hard and get it passed as soon as possible...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM

136 posts, read 751,772 times
I thought it was once every 2 weeks? I maybe wrong. But you have unlimited times to try it. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:03 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymon View Post
hello,
i failed the NJ written test which is done on the pc at DMV, they have asked me to come again after a week, just wondering, would that be the only chance i will get to pass the test.
No, as far as I know, you can take it once every 7 days.

Dude... I failed it 3 or 4 times!

My first time I studied for it while waiting on line for 2 hours and it was only 2 or 3 wrong too many. The next few times I studied at home and failed miserably.

I then got lazy for a YEAR and went again... FAILED! I then got mad as hell and studied diligently... and finally passed.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 86,889 times
Default Some Tips

1. Read thIs boring manual Motor Vehicle Commission - Driver Manual atleast once start to ending. Dont skip any page.

2. Though the manual is boring, it has a lot of useful information

3. Many things you may not be aware even as a seasoned driver

4. Learn the Blood Alcohol Concentration facts thoroughly

5. Use the following links for free practice tests. Best to just take these practice tests and then read the manual. You will know how much you dont know! That is the trick to pass the exam.

Online Drivers License Study Guide - Good animated stuff too!
NJ DMV Written Practice Test-3 (http://www.visiondrivingschool.com/page10.html - broken link) - Good reference - Look and feel Multiple Choice
Carrs Driving School help for the NJ DMV written test. - Pretty Good and quite close to the actual test
Mister Poll: Driving Test - Nice questions
English Practice Exam : Safety First Driving School (http://www.safetyfirstdriving.com/exam/english.shtml - broken link)
Online Test : Edison Driving School, New Jersey (http://www.edisondriving.com/test/online.shtml - broken link) - The regular Edison Tests
Quia - Driving Quiz - New Jersey - Very good one
Motor Vehicle Commission - Driver Manual - Chapter by Chapter - MVC Manual based questions -Useful
Online NJ dmv sample permit test- Skillful driving school sample practice test - A very comprehensive one

6. The whole excercise requires a planned 4 hoours study. 2.5 hours of peavceful reading of manual and rest of the time ofr taking the practice tests.

7. I did the above and passed the test right first time. Score 40 correct out of 41. The computer just stops and congratulates you once you have 40 right answers. I just completed the test yesterday and it took me all 2 hours start from my home till I returned. It ws on a week day. I preferred it that way as, I wanted to be there in less crowd. The office I went was to Edison MVA and all are very effecient guys there.

8. For vision, listen to the officer carefully. They wont repeat what they say and if you keep irritating them with questions it may not act`in your favour. Just do exactly what they ask you to do. The vision is a critical one and read all the letters on the 2nd line very quickly and accurately if you dont have any ey problems. The color blindness test is easy. Just mention the colors all dark and neatly visible ones.

9. International Driving Permit from India or other countries are not needed unless you are a short stay visitor who wants to drive say for a few days. For permanent residents including H1, you must have a valid Driving Licence that shows atleast 3 years of driving experience for you to skip the Road Test. This is not a rule, but a rule of thumb they follow. I did not have the road test. This saves a lot of time. Else, it is a big process.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited by RAMSHA; 03-25-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
So many people fail that stupid test! They ask the most ridiculous questions IMO.

Anyhow; unless things have changed (which they may have) I was told that if I failed it the second time, I had to wait two months. For all I know this could have been a scare tactic...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Wait.
I cannot believe that people actually fail this test.
What questions are they asking that you cannot answer?
Do they still ask about the 50' before you turn to turn on your directional?
Do they still ask girls from Northern Jersey how to hold up a can of Aqua Net and not get it all over the dashboard?
Do they still want to know where to put the empty McDonalds wrappers while you are driving and have special sauce dripping down your chin and your spouse calls your cell while you are flipping the bird at the guy in the Chevy truck behind you with the NASCAR bumper sticker???
Geez...

Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojoe315 View Post
I thought it was once every 2 weeks? I maybe wrong. But you have unlimited times to try it. Good luck!
Back when I took mine, it was something like that. I remember because I failed the first time by missing one question from the cutoff. I think I got a 23/30.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I dont want to berate anyone here who has failed the written test but IMO, if you cannot learn the rules of the road enough to pass the first try then I really dont want you driving next to me. I'm sorry if this offends some of you but it is just WAAAAAY to easy to get a drivers license in this country. Someone who fails the test more then once is not stupid, they are lazy or uncaring to really study and LEARN the rules. If its that hard for you maybe you dont deserve to drive.

I would love to see a similar system to the one they have in England. If you are a new driver you do not get a license right away. You get something like a learners permit for 2 years. You MUST keep some sort of sign on your vehicle (I think its a big L) letting everyone else on the road know your still on your learners permit. If you have any accidents or tickets in those 2 years you lose your license and you have to start all over again.

I think this is a brilliant idea and will GREATLY reduce the number of idiots on the road.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
If the driving test asked questions about traffic regulations only, I think people would do better. I moved here from AZ; and the only questions on the test had to do with knowing traffic laws.

Absolutely I was stupid not to read the manual for NJ; but I figured, how hard can it be? I have been driving for over ten years! But the questions they ask have to do with DUI or how many points you get for a certain violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey