Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsluva View Post
lol im in 8th grade in cranford schools. yeah the test scores arent good, the teachers bug us so much about them we all take them as a joke.
Oh no! My position as the youngest blogger in the NJ thread has been taken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM

22 posts, read 59,824 times
Good school systems close to Manhattan would be Millburn, Short Hills, Livingston, Nutley, Glen Ridge, Rutherford, Caldwells. In Bergen Cty Ridgewood, Northern Highlands, Glen Rock have nice communities and great schools.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymagda View Post
Good school systems close to Manhattan would be Millburn, Short Hills, Livingston, Nutley, Glen Ridge, Rutherford, Caldwells. In Bergen Cty Ridgewood, Northern Highlands, Glen Rock have nice communities and great schools.
Basically, the best school districts are located where the big bucks are also located, LOL.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,634 times
try Caldwell/west Caldwell. the bus can pick you up right from bloomfield avenue, or even willowbrook mall. not a bad commute. my boyfriend commutes to times square everyday, no problem. park and ride.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Oh no! My position as the youngest blogger in the NJ thread has been taken!

lol dw not hanging around here. looked sommin up on google and clicked on this.lol

Old 05-15-2008, 02:10 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily31 View Post
You might want to do a search for similar posts on this forum - there are some great discussions. Otherwise, I can tell you about the best school districts in Union and Morris county, which are the two areas I have done most of my research (both have towns with a short to medium commute to Manhattan):

Union:
- Westfield (shorter commute, higher housing costs)
- Summit (shorter commute, higher housing costs)
- New Providence
- Berkeley Heights
- Mountainside
- Cranford (although maybe not as strong as the others listed, at least based on test scores)

Morris:
- Chatham
- Madison

Also, Millburn/Short Hills and Livingston have top schools (Essex County?). Check out http://www.njmonthly.com/topschools/hssearch.html for the top NJ high school list - this is where I started. There are also several great school districts in Bergen County, which I don't know as much about.

Good luck!

Emily

Same list I had.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 42,232 times
Regarding test scores: please remember that test scores are those of the class of students from the year before and are affected by many factors, including: transient populations (including wealthy families in a district for 1-3 years, renters), non-native speakers of English, students with special needs (evaluated, classified or not), number of years in the district, cultural differences/considerations, test biases (more on that in another post), socio-economic status, family issues such as divorce, death; a bad day, student effort, teacher preparation, laws like No Child Left Behind that force teachers and districts to teach for tests rather than just having overall great programs and so on. Academically gifted students can also be left behind if not properly taught and consideration given to social -emotional needs.

Many students who are very bright and can do well in school have poor test scores due to carelessness, test anxieties, failure to fully read directions and comprehend instructions possibly due to learning disabilities or an arrogance manifested by an attitude of "I know this so I don't need to read the directions", improperly filling in a machine-scored answer sheet, failing to proofread an essay, spending too much time on questions they don't know rather than responding to questions they do know; and the list goes on...

Also, machines that score tests can have malfunctions and so on, human errors, technical issues, etc.

Please remember that there are many highly intelligent but uneducated or poorly educated people out there - for example girls from countries where formal education for females is not a priority, anti-intellectuals, refugees, and more...

I state this as an educator.

Test scores are merely numbers and are frequently unfair representations of either student potential or teacher effectiveness.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 16,388 times
OK. Look into Montclair schools. Short commute to nyc.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,384 times
Hi, I also need help. My husband has taken a promotion with his company which is located in Pitscataway, NJ. I am looking for areas close with the absolute best school districts for my child. I do not know where to begin. Please help. We thought about living in PA..

Old 08-27-2009, 08:02 PM

127 posts, read 544,870 times
Look into Bernards Twp. (a.k.a. Basking Ridge). It will take you appx. 25-30 min. to get to Piscataway from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey