Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 PM

116 posts, read 528,274 times

Advertisements

The criteria for becoming the top 100 schools has nothing to do with any teams. The criteria is based on many things. I can't remember what they were, but I'm sure if you search, you can find the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,298,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
because a couple of excellent students who excell in a narrow field does not make a whole school good. this kind of thinking is as foolish as people who pick colleges based on how well their sports teams perform. there is more to the equation than winning a competition that involves a handful of kids
You must not have thought about why Edison could educate MANY, not just a couple, excellent students that won #1 in Chemistry Science League Competition of hundreds of high schools. (ok, each team need to have 5 students, not just one)

Or, may be you need to answer the question, why these top students came from JP Stevens High of Edison, NOT the so-called Top 100 schools from NJ Monthly ?

I think people are NOT foolish to pick college of the TOP area. e.g. if you want to play NBA, you want to pick a college like NC with top NCAA teams.

So, if you want to be good doctor, you pick Harvard Univ, and Harvard Univ will look at your Biology and Chemistry competition. So, if your so-called top 100 schools did very poor in competition, your kid will not have chance to get into good college like Harvard or MIT.

e.g. One team member of FBLA #1 on Business Plan, whose sister also graduated from Piscataway High School and went to Harvard Univ.

So, you can't just AVERAGE everyone in the high school and rank them. You want to see if talent students can go to the top schools of their interest. I would say, top students in Piscataway High can go to Harvard Univ, Columbia Univ, U Penn, MIT ...etc and top football players can go to top sports colleges, and top basketball player could play at NBA. That would be a good school and good education.

Besides, I am providing the "real time" data that just came out of competition. NOT the so-called 100 top schools that came out of their alumni's mouth or very out dated info. They may be good 20 years ago when they had their glory days, and the alumni did well, but we are talking about NOW and in the near future.

e.g. I was just invited to Piscataway Schor School Promotion Ceramoney today, and I was very impressed with the improvement of the schools and students. So many students never missed a day, nor tardy, so many students got straight A's. You see the quality of these 8 grade students making speech, one after each.

And you look at the top students, 2 Patels, 1 Lee, and many Asian last names, even black students made a speech like Secretary of State. Many parents said they were thinking to move to so-called top schools, but when they heard Piscataway won #1 competition on business, economics, and many sciense subjects, they changed their mind.

So, next year, you will see Piscataway High School even MORE tough on NJ State wide competition. Why? Piscataway educated good students will not represent many other so-called top students when go to high school, they will represent Piscataway High School.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:16 PM

116 posts, read 528,274 times
Yes, you can average everyone in a high school. How do you think colleges are rated. They're rated among other things on the average SAT scores of incoming freshman. Even the "School Report Card" averages. When you apply to a college, you can then mention that you were on a winning team.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
here's the NJ Monthly School ranking methodology:

Data for New Jersey Monthly’s biennial ranking of the state’s high schools were obtained from the state Department of Education’s most recent New Jersey School Report Card (covering the 2004–2005 school year). Only public high schools were included. Special-education and vocational-technical schools, as well as schools with no report card data, were excluded.

Monmouth University’s Polling Institute analyzed the data by first standardizing scores for individual statistics so that small differences did not have a disproportionate impact on the rankings and large differences were not minimized. These statistics were grouped into three categories. Each category was given equal weight in the rankings.

The categories used in the rankings are:

1. School Environment: The sum of the standardized scores for average class size; student-to-faculty ratio; student-to-computer ratio; percentage of faculty with advanced degrees; and number of AP tests offered compared to the total number of juniors and seniors (a calculation designed to avoid penalizing smaller schools).

2. Student Performance: The sum of the standardized scores for average combined SAT score; percentage of students achieving advanced proficiency on HSPA; and students scoring a 3 or higher on AP tests as a percentage of all juniors and seniors.

3. Student Outcomes: A single combined score of graduation rate multiplied by the percentage of graduates going on to post-secondary education. Those going on to a 4-year college were given a weight of 1.5, those going to a 2-year college were given a weight of 1, and those going to other colleges or post-secondary schools were given a weight of .67.

Other New Jersey Report Card statistics that were not part of the ranking calculation include the percentage of students taking the SAT; the two-year change in SAT scores; the percentage of all eligible students taking an AP test; and the percentage of graduates going directly into a job or the military after high school.

============

and please, spare us the "jimmy's kid took AP Physics at Piscataway but xferred to Mountain Lakes for senior year so now mountain lakes takes credit for jimmy jr's achievements, now going to Harvard at 150% scholarship."

i quite frankly fail to understand the piscataway love on this forum. it's an average town with average houses, a lot of which are not kept up properly. public services in that town, most noticibly snow removal, is abysmal. i worked there for 15 years and would be quite content if i never had to go back. please don't hype it up to be something it's clearly not. you could do worse, but you could do much, much better all things being equal.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and please, spare us the "jimmy's kid took AP Physics at Piscataway but xferred to Mountain Lakes for senior year so now mountain lakes takes credit for jimmy jr's achievements, now going to Harvard at 150% scholarship."

i quite frankly fail to understand the piscataway love on this forum. it's an average town with average houses, a lot of which are not kept up properly. public services in that town, most noticibly snow removal, is abysmal. i worked there for 15 years and would be quite content if i never had to go back. please don't hype it up to be something it's clearly not. you could do worse, but you could do much, much better all things being equal.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.
But you failed to realize that his 15 year experience was of the past, not the current experience. Ever since after 911, many things changed in Piscataway and things moving upward drastically as so many data and real time data I quoted you seemed to purposely ignore, why?

I have no need to promote Edison or Piscataway. Edison's Chemistry Science League competition won #1 this year in NJ, and it is a fact! And Piscataway's FBLA Business Plan competition won #1 of NJ, and this is fact as well.

If you know both Edison and Piscataway real estate have been selling very fast, you know they are popular for reasonable living cost and nice and getting best school districts.

I have many first hand score data, and I do not have to convince you. You went to the excellience of the past, and we will move on the the excellient of the moment and future.

Piscataway is like the United States, when you average everyone up, you don't get the best, but it has the best football team in the State, best Orchestra, and best of many competitions, same as Edison area. If you sum it up, it is like the United States, got the most power and future.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
here's the NJ Monthly School ranking methodology:

Data for New Jersey Monthly’s biennial ranking of the state’s high schools were obtained from the state Department of Education’s most recent New Jersey School Report Card (covering the 2004–2005 school year). .
You seemed to also point it you by yourself that NJ Monthly ranking is based on OLD data of 2004 to 2005, and the info I provided is 2007 and RIGHT NOW!!!

Edison JP Stevens High got #1 at Chemistry Science Competition this year 2007 out of hundreds of high schools in NJ. Each team is 5 students ( not just one ).

Middlesex County Academy of Science at Edison won #1 at Physics Science League competition this year 2007.

Piscataway High School won #1 on NJ FBLA Business Plan Competition, and it is this year 2007 too ...

Maybe when we wait till NJ Monthly's ranking based on 2007-2008 data, then we will be on the same page.

In the mean time, savvy parents would base data on 2007, not 2004.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
But you failed to realize that his 15 year experience was of the past, not the current experience. Ever since after 911, many things changed in Piscataway and things moving upward drastically as so many data and real time data I quoted you seemed to purposely ignore, why?
uh..how about until last year?

Quote:
I have no need to promote Edison or Piscataway. Edison's Chemistry Science League competition won #1 this year in NJ, and it is a fact! And Piscataway's FBLA Business Plan competition won #1 of NJ, and this is fact as well.
are you saying these schools should be ranked #1 in the state? oh, i'm sure sure i'd want my kid to go to a school where Dr. Wanko is the principal - former principal of Bayonne High: shudder::::::::::

Quote:
If you know both Edison and Piscataway real estate have been selling very fast, you know they are popular for reasonable living cost and nice and getting best school districts.
gary's son gary jr. went to piscataway schools and needed to be pulled out because the education was horrendous, safety was a factor, and the faculty didn't seem to give a damn. they sold their house off plainfield avenue and build a house in southern hunterdon county. they couldn't be happier.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,360 times
Does anyone know where there are blue ribbon schools in New Jersey that are not also located in such heavily populated and polluted cities? My daughter's education is extremely important but not at the detriment of her health. I am looking at Washington Twp. in Morris County...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,949,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillC33 View Post
Does anyone know where there are blue ribbon schools in New Jersey that are not also located in such heavily populated and polluted cities? My daughter's education is extremely important but not at the detriment of her health. I am looking at Washington Twp. in Morris County...
When you say "heavily populated & polluted", what do you mean?
Some of the very best schools in the state are in Somerset County, in Basking Ridge, Bridgewater, Bernardsville and Warren. Most people would agree that these places are not heavily populated or polluted. I would have to admit, however, that they are probably more populated than most places out in Washington township.
As far as Morris county goes, Mendham & Chester have very good schools, and Long Hill kids go to high school at Watching Hills Regional, which is the same high school that serves Warren, Watchung, & Green Brook, of Somerset County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey