Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM

185 posts, read 755,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
every publix shopping center in florida sells taylor ham. that was one of the first things i scouted out when i moved to fl.
can't get hard rolls...
I used to drive to Mendoker's bakery in Jamesburg to get them and their rye bread is to die for!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,909,896 times
Smile Central NJ

I pick:

The Portugese Fisherman or the Ria mar both located in South River.
Both have outstanding food. I feel that the atmosphere at Portugese Fisherman is much nicer. Quiter & more romantic. The bar is not within ear-shot of the tables like at the Ria Mar. We all know how LOUD those guys & gals can get after a few pitchers of Sangria. We dined at P.Fisherman Friday. Stuffed shrimp-huge & delish' Had the Picahdino? as appy.

Evelyns in New Brunswick.
Very good authentic Lebonese food. Family owned. Very nice people. Ask for "Garlic Paste". If you love garlic like I love Garlic, then you will devour this whipped puree'.

Panicos in New Brunswick.
Great food plus they really kiss your......ahh. You know. They cater to your needs.

The Hearth in North Brunswick
Never had a bad meal there. Chicken dish with ham, asparagus & cream sauce is outstanding plus their stuffed flounder is good as well.

The Washington Inn in Cape May
Rated very high in the romantic catagory in NJ magazine. Wonderful food, fantastic service and a to-die-for wine list.
and finally..........
The Seville Diner on Rt. 18 East Brunswick. Stay away unless you are wearing a bullet proof vest.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I pick:

Both have outstanding food. I feel that the atmosphere at Portugese Fisherman is much nicer. Quiter & more romantic. The bar is not within ear-shot of the tables like at the Ria Mar. We all know how LOUD those guys & gals can get after a few pitchers of Sangria. We dined at P.Fisherman Friday. Stuffed shrimp-huge & delish' Had the Picahdino? as appy.

It's a lot better at the Ria Mar since they re-did the inside. I do like the atmosphere at the Portuguese Fisherman better though too.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,712 times
And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Grease Trucks at Rutgers in New Brunswick. Do they count as restaurants? If they do, I vote for the Fat Moon....disgusting to look at but oh so delicious!!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM

467 posts, read 1,490,050 times
Smile Favorite restaurants

I see some of my favorites have already been mentioned, ie., Arthur's in
Hoboken, Iberia in Newark....here's one El Cid on Paramus Rd in Paramus...
great Spanish food...it's next door to where the "old Mill swimming place"
used to be...great paella, lobster, chorizo..excellent...crowded especially on
the weekends...If you like seafood you can't compare the Seafood Buffet at
the Manor in West Orange, on Prospect Ave..beautiful place... and don't know
if this place is still open, Callahan's hot dogs (I think it was Fairview)? deep
fried hot dogs..they had another place called Hiram's right next door...now
I'm dating myself..used to go to those last two places in High School in the
60's....

Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM

34 posts, read 159,316 times
Freshwaters In Plainfield On South Ave. One Of The Best. You Must Try

Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 AM

11 posts, read 34,106 times
The Lobster House in Cape May, just over the bridge from the Garden State Parkway (Exit Zero!!). You MUST go to their market out front.....the boats dock about 100 feet away, talk about fresh!!!!! And they have a web site, you can get your food overnight packed perfectly. I send it to friends in Florida for Christmas!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,636,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
I see some of my favorites have already been mentioned, ie., Arthur's in
Hoboken, Iberia in Newark....here's one El Cid on Paramus Rd in Paramus...
great Spanish food...it's next door to where the "old Mill swimming place"
used to be...great paella, lobster, chorizo..excellent...crowded especially on
the weekends...If you like seafood you can't compare the Seafood Buffet at
the Manor in West Orange, on Prospect Ave..beautiful place... and don't know
if this place is still open, Callahan's hot dogs (I think it was Fairview)? deep
fried hot dogs..they had another place called Hiram's right next door...now
I'm dating myself..used to go to those last two places in High School in the
60's....
The original Callahan's in Fort Lee shut down last year, I always preferred Hiram's anyway. I think the Callahans on 46 is still open and I think the one on 17 has closed as well.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,636,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I pick:

Evelyns in New Brunswick.
Very good authentic Lebonese food. Family owned. Very nice people. Ask for "Garlic Paste". If you love garlic like I love Garlic, then you will devour this whipped puree'.

Panicos in New Brunswick.
Great food plus they really kiss your......ahh. You know. They cater to your needs.

The Hearth in North Brunswick
Never had a bad meal there. Chicken dish with ham, asparagus & cream sauce is outstanding plus their stuffed flounder is good as well.

The Washington Inn in Cape May
Rated very high in the romantic catagory in NJ magazine. Wonderful food, fantastic service and a to-die-for wine list.
and finally..........
The Seville Diner on Rt. 18 East Brunswick. Stay away unless you are wearing a bullet proof vest.
Tried the Portuguese Fisherman twice and was disapointed both times. Regarese is right, the dinning room at Ria Mar is now well insulated from the bar area, (thanks for the new rest rooms as well). If you go with a party of eight or ten you may really luck out and get the new private room off of the main dinning room. There is hardly any outside noise in that room, and you can actually talk to the other people at your table without shouting. The best part is if you have lots of big eaters in your party there is actually room on the table to put all the food on.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:00 PM

467 posts, read 1,490,050 times
Smile Callahan's

Exhdo1...Someone e-mailed me today right after I posted about Callahans'
and told me they closed......I am really surprised..the place was a gold mine.
always busy especially in the summer.....Hiram's was ok....I liked the
Stewart stands on the way down the shore....also a cold frosty mug of root
beer, dogs and burgers..not fine dining but it was mighty tasty......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey