Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 284,092 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Yesterday, when we went through a toll station on I-95, I took the wrong lane which only takes EZ-pass, however, my car doesn't have EZ-pass tag (since I thought the other lanes are for exiting out I-95, and I wanted to keep on the I-95, so I kept on the left side lanes which are only for EZ-pass). Thus, we didn't pay the toll fee, which was not on purpose. We just moved to NJ not long ago, and haven't got familiar with the roads and pay tolls yet.

Does anyone know how to correct the mistake? for example, whom I should contact with to make up for the fee?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,557 times
Based on what you describe, I assume you went through the final toll barrier on the turnpike northbound (as that's the only one where you go through the toll plaza even if you're not exiting). This is one with the express lanes where you go through at 55 MPH.

I'm not sure if you can proactively pay the NJ Turnpike Authority anymore - I would look on their web site at New Jersey Turnpike Authority- Official Guide to the Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway.. You used to be able to get an envelope at toll plazas to pay a missed toll fee but I don't know if they still do that.

If the camera on the EZPass booth captured your license plate (and it very likely did), you may get a letter in the mail asking you to pay the full turnpike toll ($9) plus a fine (something like $25 for the first offense).

Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
When you do get the letter from EZ Pass, follow the directions to have the penalty waived. I believe you will only have to pay the toll fee.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
That is correct. The letter you receive will ask for the toll plus a $25 fee. Just send the toll amount.

And get yourself an EZ Pass!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times
I did something like this on the Garden State Parkway. Way up north--you have to exit to avoid going through an EZ pass lane, and I didn't know, so didn't exit. First of all--the notice they sent was truly abusive, so don't get upset. It more or less accused me of being a law breaker in big black letters.

Secondly, I found it hard to talk to them, since the web site wanted me to list my EZ pass number, or be a member, before I could write to explain the situation. (I don't remember the details, but I remember that at every point I was barred from communicating, because I am not an EZ pass holder.)

The way around this is to call as if you want to sign up for EZ pass. As soon as you get a live person, explain the situation. They dropped my charges quickly and very nicely. I absolutely did not have to pay as soon as I explained it was a mistake and they were very nice--but hard to get through to.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
here's what I recommend for the future.

Get a can of black spray paint and on the license plates paint a large FU across the printed lettering.

That should stop any future problems....

/sarcasm

Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
here's what I recommend for the future.

Get a can of black spray paint and on the license plates paint a large FU across the printed lettering.

That should stop any future problems....

/sarcasm
lol wth. nice sarcasm

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

30 posts, read 295,777 times
I accidentally drove through an E-Z pass lane on the NYS thru way one night. Buy the time I saw it was E-Z pass there was nothing I could do, I couldn't get over. The first thing I did was pull over to the right and walk up to the tolls. This is one of those toll areas with a building connected to it, and troopers sitting there. I even sat in my vehicle waiting for a trooper to come up behind me. Nothing. So I go up and see a women walking to one of the toll booths, she asks if she can help me. I told her how I accidentally went through the E-Z pass lane and wanted to pay my toll. They wouldn't take it, told me she was not allowed to take it now. Troopers were within an ear shot no one seemed to care. I was just told it happens all the time and couldn't take my toll now because I was already in the "system" and a ticket would be mailed to me, just mail the ticket back with letter saying you stopped (they would be able to go back to the time and date and see on tape me pulling over) and just to write them explaining that along with my toll card and a check for the amount of the exit I went through. Well sounds easy enough I get a ticket for like $100-$200 so I just mailed what they told me to. A couple of weeks later I get all that stuff mailed back to me with a letter that pretty much stated no excuses pay the fine... Gotta love NY, the garden state sounds more flexible and understanding of simple MISTAKE.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 AM

1 posts, read 186,468 times
I recently traveled through New Jersey and missed to pay a toll fee of 75 cents, got the phone number from the post sign stated that if I missed to pay just call the phone number, followed all the instructions and sent in the toll fee but still got the ticket from the mail, what to do now! Can anyone help!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I have EZ Pass and borrowed a friend's car a few months ago, forgot it did not have an EZ Pass transponder and he got a ticket in the mail. The sure fire way is to have someone like myself or a friend with an account add your car to their account, which you can do online anytime, then fill out the violation form listiing the account number and enclose a check for just the toll. Worked every time for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey