Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,602,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Well, since I will most likely be in the market for a Kitty Cat soon - where do all you animal lovers suggest I go?

I'd love a dog too, but not while we're all working FT (which will probably be until the day I die...lol)
Petsmart has adoptions on saturdays... they let the pet rescue people use their facility and they are huge supporters of animal rescue groups. Or any local pound as those kitties are slatted for the needle if no one takes them . The rescue group I work with has some adorable kitties at the moment..Pet Adoption League (PAL). We fell in love with a kitten last week..supposedly ferrel as they found him in the woods...but talk about lovable! Belly rubs are his favorite. He's a long hairded black kitten..absolutely adorable! I find my long haired kitty sheds the least out of my 3 boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:31 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,932,541 times
We adopted our youngest kitty from a Petsmart adoption day last summer. The organization running it was K.I.S.S. (kitties in need of someone special), they are out of the Hopatcong area. Lydia ia a tuxedo cat, you can see her and my other two in my pet album. She came with all of her shots and was already spayed. $100 was the donation.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
We adopted our youngest kitty from a Petsmart adoption day last summer. The organization running it was K.I.S.S. (kitties in need of someone special), they are out of the Hopatcong area. Lydia ia a tuxedo cat, you can see her and my other two in my pet album. She came with all of her shots and was already spayed. $100 was the donation.
Same fee with PAL and believe it or not..people complain about the $100! The last kitten we adopted..we paid the $100 and told them not to worry about the spay/neutering as we would take care of that ourselves. $100 barely covers the cost of the shots... and not to mention feeding these guys everyday and taking care of them... the $100 they ask for doesn't even cover their costs! May be heading over to see the kitties again today..we love hanging out and playing with them on our saturdays..it's even better when you help find them a great home .

Old 08-16-2008, 05:42 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,932,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Same fee with PAL and believe it or not..people complain about the $100! The last kitten we adopted..we paid the $100 and told them not to worry about the spay/neutering as we would take care of that ourselves. $100 barely covers the cost of the shots... and not to mention feeding these guys everyday and taking care of them... the $100 they ask for doesn't even cover their costs! May be heading over to see the kitties again today..we love hanging out and playing with them on our saturdays..it's even better when you help find them a great home .
I agree that $100 is extremely reasonable. I know these organizations get reduced fees from local vets on shots and spaying, but they also need to make a little extra to feed and care for all the little ones. I always make cash and food donations a local shelter every year. Even if you can't give cash, they are always in need of food, cat litter and cleaning supplies and are more than willing to accept even generic brands.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
thanks for all the support, little OTTO is great!! I am getting more bonded each day!!! I love him so much. I am totally mommy to him he cries like alittle baby when I leave the room. I never experienced such love from a little hungarian guy!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:24 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks for all the support, little OTTO is great!! I am getting more bonded each day!!! I love him so much. I am totally mommy to him he cries like alittle baby when I leave the room. I never experienced such love from a little hungarian guy!!!
How cute!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,949,108 times
It's funny, we were out and about today and my daughter & neice (the BIG BIG animal lovers of the family) were sad to see that 2 pet shops that we knew of had closed. I guess in these hard times, no one is going to be paying top $$ for animals at a store. Which (IMO) is good, because I'd rather they go to a shelter or rescue than the store. $100 is nothing considering that the petshops charge REDICULOUS prices and most done even take care of the animals so much.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM

180 posts, read 701,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Well, since I will most likely be in the market for a Kitty Cat soon - where do all you animal lovers suggest I go?

I'd love a dog too, but not while we're all working FT (which will probably be until the day I die...lol)
Petsmart is great but also go go petfinder.com. Most, if not all, of the listings are for rescue groups or shelters. you can search by geographic area and also by breed, size, age, sex, etc. cats & dogs. lots of these are likely in foster homes, but they schedule a home visit with you or you can meet at a petsmart or wherever the group does their weekly visits. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I saved two lives. I got one when I moved to North Country, a 2 year old with 6 fingers on each hand. IT looks like she is wearing oven mitts!!!! Then I figure we settled back in NJ, got the house got the cat settled and then had an urge to go get a kitten! Thanks all, I got Polly and Otto!!!

AWWWW you have a "Hemingway" cat.....

Hemingway Cats - Amazing Cats with Many Toes

Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
AWWWW you have a "Hemingway" cat.....

Hemingway Cats - Amazing Cats with Many Toes
I had a Hemingway cat...Emma. She was laid to rest lat new years eve . What a lovable girl and she would always use that extra thumb to pull your hand to her face so that you would pet her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey