Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 93,081 times

Advertisements

Just want to hear from people who are living in new jersey, but commute to Manhattan for their job. Is this doable? I'm relocating and considering this option. Any resources you can recommend for finding housing within a commutable distance of NYC? Realtor.com asks you for city/state, but I'm not sure which town I should type in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,789 times
You can go to the NJ Transit Website (www.njtransit.com) and look at the train map. You can see where the trains stop and how long it takes to get from a particular stop to Manhattan.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Living in Jersey and working in the City is very do-able. Hundreds/thousands??? of people do it everyday. Commuting isn't always fun or easy but if you have a great job, than it can be worth your while. However, you will be double taxed (NY & NJ). There are also many transportation options to and from the City. Train, bus, cab or drive your own car, bridge/tunnel, you name it. If you want to live near the transportation, Hoboken is good (very busy town, my idea of a mini NY). Rutherford and Lyndhurst have lots of city transportation and are very nice towns (a little more "suburb" than Hoboken). Pretty much anywhere in eastern Essex, Bergen and Hudson (maybe even Passaic) counties is a good commute to the city, as you can see on any map, they're rather close already. As for which towns, it really depends on what type of lifestyle you're looking for. There are some websites that may help you determine that (i.e. URLs removed) and you can also do a search on any particular town you choose (wikipedia gives good statistical info). Regarding schools and such if you have children, I did a search on a pretty good website but now I can't recall what it was (it's not in my history)...if I think of it, I'll let you know....hope I've helped some!!

Last edited by Yac; 05-24-2006 at 03:36 AM..

Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 93,006 times
Yes indeed, it's doable. Lots of people from NJ commute daily to NYC. As far as how long your commute would be... this of course depends on how close you want to be to Manhattan. Hoboken, Jersey City, Weehawken are a few popular areas closer to the city. But there're also many towns further away that are serviced by NJ Transit (train & bus). This means that you get suburban living with easy access to the to the city.

A resource I recently found that might help you is removed They list properties in the Tri-State area located near NYC transportation. It's dedicated to commuters just like you. It's a new site, but they might have something that interest you. Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 05-24-2006 at 03:35 AM..

Old 05-31-2006, 09:25 AM

37 posts, read 214,009 times
Jersey City is the best, affordable and most convenient location. Depending on the price ranges, you can be a nice area and have an entire floor to yourself or be in a little more congested, noisy area, which is cheaper, however not that 'clean'.

You can be in NYC within 10 minutes via car or 25 min. during rush hours. Be closer to Kennedy Blvd.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 100,576 times
Hi

I have been doing it for over 15 years. It is doable and can be enjoyable. My commute is 30 -45 minutes and the cost is very reasonable to. I pay $99.00 for my monthly pass.

If you interested I can help you find a great location. MOD CUT
Thank you - Evelyn

Last edited by Yac; 06-18-2006 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-18-2006, 07:12 AM

145 posts, read 849,609 times
If you like the beach, consider Sea bright, Highlands, Monmouth Beach and Red Bank.
There are a number fast ferries [ 37 min ] and train service.
Many people who work in NY live in these areas.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:42 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Default Those areas are the most expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiv
If you like the beach, consider Sea bright, Highlands, Monmouth Beach and Red Bank.
There are a number fast ferries [ 37 min ] and train service.
Many people who work in NY live in these areas.
You guys are all suggesting the most expensive areas. Those parts are a minimum of $2,000 - $2,500 a month in rent (much more if they decide to buy) for a small one or two bedroom, or Jersey City (which is grossly overpriced along with Hoboken) which is almost as expensive as Manhattan. Condos in JC start at $400,000, and rentals start at near $2,000 with broker fees averaging 15% of annual rent paid by the renter (if they ultimately beat out other applicants and get the apartment).

I don't know why any one in their right mind would move to the NYC metro area these days unless they have a household income of over $250,000 and can devote thousands of dollars every month to just basic expenses like housing & commuting

Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 AM

145 posts, read 849,609 times
Rents in Sea Bright {I live there] run from 850- 1400 for 1 bd, 1 ba [850-1132 sqft]
For 1500-2200- you can rent a townhouse or small cottage. Many of the complexes have marinas, pools and the beach is across the street.
Restaurants all within walking distance.

If you are relocating, many companies will reimburse you for the ferry service.
Otherwise, Many take the bus or train.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiv
Rents in Sea Bright {I live there] run from 850- 1400 for 1 bd, 1 ba [850-1132 sqft]
For 1500-2200- you can rent a townhouse or small cottage. Many of the complexes have marinas, pools and the beach is across the street.
Restaurants all within walking distance.

If you are relocating, many companies will reimburse you for the ferry service.
Otherwise, Many take the bus or train.
I don't know what you are smoking, but you are not living in reality. Whats next?? Will they also 'reimburse' gas costs from Sea Bright to Midtown?? How about Parking???

You won't find anything for less than $1,400 in that area , and at that price you are looking at a tiny studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey