Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 08:53 AM

126 posts, read 42,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Do you have any evidence of that that you can present ?
Yes, the buses I see picking them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 11:41 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Have they given you any idea as to why ?
No, I don't see them that much or discuss politics with them when I do, but I see their posts on FB. But it's not necessary to speak to them. They still live in the environment in which I grew up--very closed to outsiders or new ideas, a stifling and restrictive form of cultural Christianity that is sin/hell/death-centric and does not allow for questioning of those ideas, a belief that things can all be categorized as good/evil, right/wrong, black/white, no room for nuance. THIS is the way things should be and there will be no discussion outside of those lines.

That said, they are basically people of good intent who would do anything to help out their own. They truly believe that the way they view the world is the only right way. They've just never expanded their minds too much beyond their smallish worlds. I think to them, Trump brings them hope of a return to a world that never existed, but that they thought did and should. They are uncomfortable with change, and Trump will make the changes go away.

ETA: I did include a sister of mine in that group. She I do speak to regularly. She has always been very intolerant of others who are different in whatever way and even though she is no longer religious, she shares the beliefs of my cousins that things should be a certain way and that change is threatening. I love my younger sister, but I avoid certain topics of conversation with her to keep our relationship from deteriorating.

Old 04-20-2024, 04:53 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Nah, you're wrong. The Ds see to it that their base gets out there and votes.
You can easily find the statistics for voter turn out in places like Camden, and other poor cities it is very very low. They are easily found, I have posted them before on other threads.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:29 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I don't see them that much or discuss politics with them when I do, but I see their posts on FB. But it's not necessary to speak to them. They still live in the environment in which I grew up--very closed to outsiders or new ideas, a stifling and restrictive form of cultural Christianity that is sin/hell/death-centric and does not allow for questioning of those ideas, a belief that things can all be categorized as good/evil, right/wrong, black/white, no room for nuance. THIS is the way things should be and there will be no discussion outside of those lines.

That said, they are basically people of good intent who would do anything to help out their own. They truly believe that the way they view the world is the only right way. They've just never expanded their minds too much beyond their smallish worlds. I think to them, Trump brings them hope of a return to a world that never existed, but that they thought did and should. They are uncomfortable with change, and Trump will make the changes go away.

ETA: I did include a sister of mine in that group. She I do speak to regularly. She has always been very intolerant of others who are different in whatever way and even though she is no longer religious, she shares the beliefs of my cousins that things should be a certain way and that change is threatening. I love my younger sister, but I avoid certain topics of conversation with her to keep our relationship from deteriorating.
I don't see any changes for the good the past 3 plus years. Maybe you could enlighten me.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I don't see any changes for the good the past 3 plus years. Maybe you could enlighten me.
Huh? Not sure what you're talking about here. I didn't say anything about changes for good or bad in any specific period.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-21-2024 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 11:29 AM

10,464 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:

Can you elaborate more on this? What is small minded about people who like Trump? What are these new ideas that the right doesn't agree with being pushed onto people?

Old 04-21-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Can you elaborate more on this? What is small minded about people who like Trump? What are these new ideas that the right doesn't agree with being pushed onto people?
Don't assign words to me that I did not say.

A poster asked me why I thought my relatives in NW Bergen and Sussex County like Trump. That was my answer. I cannot know why all the other people who like Trump do.

Pretty sure a lot of people who voted for him back in 2016 were fed up with the same old same old politicians in DC. Pretty sure others only knew him because he had a TV show and liked the character he presented (I never saw his show.) But honestly, you'd have to ask individuals what they see in him. I am sure the answers vary.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:34 PM

10,464 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
Don't assign words to me that I did not say.

A poster asked me why I thought my relatives in NW Bergen and Sussex County like Trump. That was my answer. I cannot know why all the other people who like Trump do.

Pretty sure a lot of people who voted for him back in 2016 were fed up with the same old same old politicians in DC. Pretty sure others only knew him because he had a TV show and liked the character he presented (I never saw his show.) But honestly, you'd have to ask individuals what they see in him. I am sure the answers vary.
TV show? Oh man, you haven't a clue why people like Trump.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
TV show? Oh man, you haven't a clue why people like Trump.
Of course I do, lol.

But I do swear that a lot of people outside the NY metro area never heard of him or knew anything about him until he had that show. I was shocked recently to find out it went seven seasons. I had no idea. I thought it was on for a year or two.

So what they saw was some sort of businessman and thought that would be better than a career politician, and I can't say I can really argue with that rationale. I didn't like Hillary and I didn't like Biden even when he was VP, both lifer political types.

But...Donald TRUMP? I don't hate him. I worked in the city all my life, and he was part of the entertainment fabric of New York. Liked to get his face in the paper, had no problem bragging about his sex life on the front pages of the tabloids. Nothing to hate, just entertainment, a NYC character, in love with himself and the image he creates. But I don't want that character as my President.

I spoke with him on the phone once, back in 2014, a business matter. (Met Ivanka, she's as tall as I am, but gorgeous and smart as hell.) He said I was :terrific", so it's not that he's completely without good judgment.

He was smart enough to understand that there was a huge swath of Americans who felt unheard and ignored by their government, and he listened to them and he said what he knew they wanted to hear, and I think establishment DC did not understand until it was too late that they had made a big mistake not paying attention to middle America and its concerns. The problem is that it's all Trump the character. He doesn't actually care about anyone else besides himself, and the people trusting and believing in him to restore a way of life that no longer exists don't seem to understand that it's only their adoration and worship that is of value to him.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Huh? Not sure what you're talking about here. I didn't say anything about changes for good or bad in any specific period.

They are uncomfortable with change and Trump will make the changes go away. Like twerking on the WH lawn trans whatevers exposing themselves you know stuff like that. Things haven't been all that good for some time but the speed at which we are swirling around the bowl has increases exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey