Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support moving the school year start until the third week of September
Yes - Move the school year until later in September 4 16.67%
No - Keep it the same 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 02:02 PM

19,144 posts, read 25,364,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
instead of giving them sooo much time off at once, there should be longer breaks throughout the year to allow families to travel more, vacation, and visit relatives. For example, there should be 2 weeks off for Christmas, 2 weeks off for Spring Break, a week off in Nov for teachers convention, maybe a couple weeks off in July, and another week off in August (but NOT the entire summer at once). Students forget way too much and teachers have to waste the first 2 months re-teaching everything forgotten over the summer.
Speaking as a veteran of 35 years in education, I think that your idea is a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Teacher Conventions???
The annual NJEA Convention is held each year for 2 days in November, and it is a good source of educational seminars and--sometimes--free books and other materials from various publishers and suppliers. The convention is held on the Thursday and Friday of the week when election day falls, so most school districts choose to close for the entire week, rather than heating the buildings on Monday, then shutting down the furnaces on Tuesday, firing them up again on Wednesday, and then shutting them down again on Thursday and Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 02:07 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,684,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Speaking as a veteran of 35 years in education, I think that your idea is a good one.

The annual NJEA Convention is held each year for 2 days in November, and it is a good source of educational seminars and--sometimes--free books and other materials from various publishers and suppliers. The convention is held on the Thursday and Friday of the week when election day falls, so most school districts choose to close for the entire week, rather than heating the buildings on Monday, then shutting down the furnaces on Tuesday, firing them up again on Wednesday, and then shutting them down again on Thursday and Friday.
Not a veteran of 35 years but I thank you for your service and being a Teacher is a service to the Country. I do however have a Wife of 44 years who has taught for 37 of those add in two daughters who are also Teachers , one in NC 8 years and one in Md. for 9 and CA. for 7. I can't speak for all but none I know of go to "conventions" now maybe Administrators and such attend I don't know.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:09 PM

19,144 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Not a veteran of 35 years but I thank you for your service and being a Teacher is a service to the Country. I do however have a Wife of 44 years who has taught for 37 of those add in two daughters who are also Teachers , one in NC 8 years and one in Md. for 9 and CA. for 7.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:34 PM

1,152 posts, read 864,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

My district gives Election Day off too (it always falls the same week as the Convention). There has always been talk about just giving students off that entire week. But, they haven't done it yet.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:12 PM

4,032 posts, read 3,650,147 times
Quote:
LOL, again not the way it works. Teachers and others some Union some not get paid for an 8 hour day or 40hrs a week same with healthcare or pension payments they are based on the work week of that employee, 5 hours overtime comes from where?

Not sure where you got 5 hrs overtime from. But anyway, teachers should be overtime exempt employees anyway so it’s a moot point.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Not sure where you got 5 hrs overtime from. But anyway, teachers should be overtime exempt employees anyway so it’s a moot point.
You keep talking about Teachers but there are other employees evolved.Teachers are pad for a 40 week but your example makes it a 45 hr OT^ per year. That's a problem.

It’s a basic math problem. 15 minutes x 180 school days = 2700 minutes

2700 minutes = 45 hrs

45 hrs = ~ 7 School days

Yes I realize you're talking about a full year but my objections point out the problems. 15mins a day is 1.15 a week 5 hours a month at 9 months is 45hours of OT(a year) per employee when the pay scale is a 40 hour work week.

Thing is we are also talking utilities . Many schools bills are less in the summer months as is Insurance due to lack of students and others in the building also is the time of year the maintenance on the building can be done without interrupting school in progress.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:55 PM

1,216 posts, read 541,926 times
180 days. Figure it out so it benefits the most people (and not just the teachers' preferences).

Old 08-25-2023, 05:05 PM

4,032 posts, read 3,650,147 times
Quote:
You keep talking about Teachers but there are other employees evolved.Teachers are pad for a 40 week but your example makes it a 45 hr OT^ per year. That's a problem.

It’s a basic math problem. 15 minutes x 180 school days = 2700 minutes

2700 minutes = 45 hrs

45 hrs = ~ 7 School days

Yes I realize you're talking about a full year but my objections point out the problems. 15mins a day is 1.15 a week 5 hours a month at 9 months is 45hours of OT(a year) per employee when the pay scale is a 40 hour work week.

Thing is we are also talking utilities . Many schools bills are less in the summer months as is Insurance due to lack of students and others in the building also is the time of year the maintenance on the building can be done without interrupting school in progress.

If you don’t like the suggestion that’s fine. But let’s not pretend that extending the school day by 15 minutes is some huge undertaking with all sorts of financial and logistical challenges. It’s pretty simple. The hardest part is getting enough people to agree.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
If you don’t like the suggestion that’s fine. But let’s not pretend that extending the school day by 15 minutes is some huge undertaking with all sorts of financial and logistical challenges. It’s pretty simple. The hardest part is getting enough people to agree.

No one is pretending anything. That's the point it is just that. People can agree until they see the mess it will cause.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
180 days. Figure it out so it benefits the most people (and not just the teachers' preferences).
LOL, so you think BOE's and State BOE's really take into considerations of Teachers and what they want? Parents, Administrators, Unions Boss's, students and then way in the back..............................Teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey