Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 05:46 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Absolutely I can't believe the cop even gave her a ticket. Most women I know might have been able to talk the cop out of issuing. I don't know what court costs these days. Last time I went in it was something like $35. That would be a fair fine for the prosecutor to allow. Any more than that is extortion.
In reality, in NJ courts and fines have been at least double and more that for many years.
Many people call these things fundraisers.

If not totally dismissed, which usually means they have to bring the issuing officer in, and that iften costs them money, they very often offer the expensive approx $475 dollar no point unsafe driving deal.

Keep in mind court is all on online Zoom meetings these days.

I recently had a BS ticket, the Prosecutor offered me and many others the expensive unsafe deal,,,, before the judge got online he offered a chat window to anyone requesting a review, I opened a chat with him, explained what happened and he settled for the $75 to $100 delaying man or beast no ponter.

That's about the cheapest option to get outathere without going back into any trial.

Years ago when court was in person often the prosecutor would greet everyone with "I can make that no points for you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 08:54 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
OP - i was thinking about this thread while out driving this morning.

On the road the citation was issued - is it commonplace to turn right into the businesses from the shoulder - and did she make the turn from the right hand lane? Just trying to somewhat justify why it was written.

Old 06-10-2023, 10:10 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
You're getting some good advice here, but on the overall matter initially I was upset that the cop gave a ticket (again, understanding that we only have one side of the story). But I think I need to know more about the layout of the area (and whether there are any blind spots leading up to where your wife was driving slowly, OP) before reaching a conclusion. Under the right circumstances, it's possible that your wife was a danger to traffic even if there were no vehicles observable behind her.

Old 06-10-2023, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 19,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
OP - i was thinking about this thread while out driving this morning.

On the road the citation was issued - is it commonplace to turn right into the businesses from the shoulder - and did she make the turn from the right hand lane? Just trying to somewhat justify why it was written.
Yes, as per her, she turned from right lane. I went to the place and checked. It was an internal road, much like downtown (but not) with shops on both sides of the road. There is no way anyone can go above 25 due to people crossing at multiple lights on the road.

Old 06-10-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You're getting some good advice here, but on the overall matter initially I was upset that the cop gave a ticket (again, understanding that we only have one side of the story). But I think I need to know more about the layout of the area (and whether there are any blind spots leading up to where your wife was driving slowly, OP) before reaching a conclusion. Under the right circumstances, it's possible that your wife was a danger to traffic even if there were no vehicles observable behind her.
Many thanks to people who responded and guided me here. Like you and others, I too have second hand information and can only take my wife's words on face value. I was not with her and as a dutiful husband I have to believe what she told me .

As I posted before, I did go to that road/place and especially at around the same time she went, in the afternoon. The road was deserted at best, even with shops on both sides of the road. I could see plenty of roadside parking available.

I intend to call the Court on Monday and check for updates. Will post what I found.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:50 PM

I actually ,,, well like most everyone else hate going to court, but at least with court being all online, you can take some of the uneasiness out and relax at home.
With faster computers Zoom allows you to select a background, I take a pic of my office with bookshelves and electronic gear, while sitting at home,,, lets you put a positive spin on it.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:02 AM

Called the court for an update. The hearing is set for 7/5 on Zoom. Will update the outcome.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:11 PM

Here's the final on this. Thanks to all for helping. Date was today's and time 9am

1. Started my laptop and checked the zoom link for accuracy at 8am. Wife and I (the great moral supporter/mouse pusher/keyboard helper/zoom operator/water bearer) logged in at 8:45am
2. Court started promptly at 9am. The greeter started calling people one by one and by 9:30am, we were done. Some were in cars, some like us were at home, one person was mowing the lawn and two ladies were exiting a grocery store . The court person had to shout multiple times to ask people to go on mute. It was fun filled 30 minutes
3. Then a video of how the court proceedings will be conducted was played in English for 10 minutes. Repeat of the same in Spanish for another 10 minutes
4. Judge appeared out of nowhere (yes, all of a sudden) and she says people will be divided into 3 groups - a. criminal, accident, pressing and urgent cases, b. moving and parking violations and c. sundry business
5. She then called a bunch of names one by one and asked them to see the prosecutor in the break-out room. We were the lucky ones to be called out
6. Break out room - the prosecutor was a nice gentleman, spoke with compassion and care. He started calling one by one and from what I observed, each and every one's offense was reduced a notch. Those who had multiple tickets, some were dismissed and some were reduced to a lower offense. This took 30 minutes.
7. Then he called for Spanish interpreter and asked her to check who needed language help. About 5 sought out. By the time they were done, another 5 appeared and then again another 2. Not sure why the Prosecutor couldn't pause the language interpretation and switch to English and then go back to the translator (may be the translator was paid by the hour?). It was 11am by this time and our patience was getting thin. I was about to suggest on the zoom chat that the Prosecutor switch to English for some time and then go back to Spanish but better sense prevailed (aka wife) and I curbed my enterprising instincts
8. Once he was 10 times sure that no one needed language assistance, came the English speaking turn. We were 3rd in line and he did ask my wife what happened. After hearing her, he said the ticket will be reduced from 39:4-97.1 to 39:4-67 Obstructing Traffic. No points but $55 fine plus court charges of $35, a total of $90 to be paid. We agreed and he asked us to exit the break-out room which would take us back to the court
9. Back to court. The judge was smart. She did hear a few of Spanish translated offences and then asked the translator to wait for English souls
10. Our turn came at 12:15, she quickly read out the reduced offense and asked my wife to raise her hand for oath and agreement to pleading "guilty" to the obstructing traffic charge. We agreed and case dismissed.

Paid $90 and done with. Downloaded the case summary with the help of case lookup tool.

Let me know if anyone wants other info....it was an experience, to say the least

Old 07-05-2023, 08:25 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times
I would say that you got the best possible outcome. Good for you.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:08 AM

The NJ version of Let's Make A Deal,,, you got the better lower cost no points option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey