Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 07:27 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,552,036 times

Advertisements

Can't she do some kind of traffic school to at least get the points knocked off? I got a "failure to yield" ticket once (even though the oncoming car was at least 500 yards away - can you spell quota?) but they let me go to traffic school. Still had to pay the fine, but that was okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 08:26 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Can't she do some kind of traffic school to at least get the points knocked off? I got a "failure to yield" ticket once (even though the oncoming car was at least 500 yards away - can you spell quota?) but they let me go to traffic school. Still had to pay the fine, but that was okay.
NJ does let you go to various traffic schools, mostly online, but in my opinion she should not get any points to begin with.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:32 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,552,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
NJ does let you go to various traffic schools, mostly online, but in my opinion she should not get any points to begin with.
Totally agree.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:46 AM

20,150 posts, read 9,043,504 times
just a question ... I'm not judging....

if the rationale for this being a BS ticket is there was no one effected by her speed wouldn't that expectation also hold true for someone driving 95mpg on a deserted highway?

In regard to her case in my mind it would be a bogus ticket if she was driving 15 in a 35 for 300 yards but if she was doing it for a quarter/half a mile that's another story. Only the OP knows that. The cop probably has a dash cam of the incident.

Best of luck!

Old 06-07-2023, 02:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,609,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
just a question ... I'm not judging....

if the rationale for this being a BS ticket is there was no one effected by her speed wouldn't that expectation also hold true for someone driving 95mpg on a deserted highway?

In regard to her case in my mind it would be a bogus ticket if she was driving 15 in a 35 for 300 yards but if she was doing it for a quarter/half a mile that's another story. Only the OP knows that. The cop probably has a dash cam of the incident.

Best of luck!
Speed laws are typically based off speed of car alone, unsafe operating speed (of an individual vehicle), or violation of posted speed. There doesn't need to be other cars present for those conditions to be violated.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:07 PM

The original poster mentioned it was an "internal roadway".
To me that brings up the question as to if their is any proper jurisdiction regarding speed or most other laws that affect public shared roadways.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:40 PM

21 posts, read 19,560 times
The current update still shows 7/5/23 as the Plea/Pay by date. However, there is no option of payment anymore.

What does "A decision must be submitted at the charge level" mean? Found that inside my plea status page.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3 View Post
The current update still shows 7/5/23 as the Plea/Pay by date. However, there is no option of payment anymore.

What does "A decision must be submitted at the charge level" mean? Found that inside my plea status page.
Never came across that before but remember these days 99% of the time you don't even physically attend or appear in a courtroom. Everything is on Zoom meetings, you sit down at home or wherever and court is held online over your PC or cellphone.

Its been that way since Covid started and still is.

My guess regarding your question is they have to negotiate what to actually charge you with,,, usually they offer the NJ zero points deal but that opens the question will they offer you the less expensive one.

And IANAL,,, (I am not a lawyer)

Old 06-09-2023, 12:44 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I am no expert by any means, however everytime I have gotten a ticket the prosecutor has lessened the ticket. I even fought a parking ticket once and lost and the judge lessened the ticket. I will say though its up to the town some are good and some are bad.

Dont tell your wife to frett,she wasnt causing harm to the public and the prosecutor will take it lightly most likely with no points. I once got a driving to slow ticket by going the speed limit in NJ. I was a younger driver (in college) on a two lane road down the shore with the speed limit was 35mph. I was in the left lane and a cop pulled behind me so I drove 35mph (the speed limit) in traffic and got a ticket for impeding traffic by driving the speed limit.

At the time I had out of state tags and points/tickets didnt transfer to my home state so I just paid the ticket.
Your issue was driving the speed limit in the passing lane. He probably should have given you the ticket for driving in the left lane instead. Maybe slow driving was a lesser charge and he was being nice?

Old 06-09-2023, 07:06 PM

5,161 posts, read 3,769,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I'm not an expert in NJ traffic laws, but IME in traffic enforcement, if what you're staying is true at face value, and there is nothing more to the story, I would push to get this dismissed. If you can prove she was slowing to make a turn, this is a dismissible cite for even the dumbest of attys. Note that my experience is in another state so YMMV

Section: 39:4-97.1: Slow speeds as blocking traffic

No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
Absolutely I can't believe the cop even gave her a ticket. Most women I know might have been able to talk the cop out of issuing. I don't know what court costs these days. Last time I went in it was something like $35. That would be a fair fine for the prosecutor to allow. Any more than that is extortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey