Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 19,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
What town was this in?
This was at Scotch Plains near US-22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 19,513 times
Here is today's update:

The $85 fine mentioned in the portal NJMCDirect.com is gone. Under court appearance details, there is no date mentioned but "Contact court for the date" is written. When I opened the plea, the "plea/pay by date" has changed from 6/22 to 7/5.

Shall I wait for a few days or call the court? I hope the case is dismissed.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:02 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
sounds like it was just rescheduled.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:47 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
This really gets to the point of extortion,,, I mean if you were driving fast and looking for a destination at the same time, you would be driving unsafe. As you mention there was no one behind to obstruct or impede.

Your wife drove properly and responsibly.
It all depends on how HONEST the local court is.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:34 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3 View Post
This one should be interesting. My wife was driving to her Dermatologist's office in the afternoon. The GPS messed up the location and she was trying to find the doctor's office. It was a 35mph internal road and she was doing 15 or 20mph and trying to turn right to the lane that leads to the Doctor's office.

A cop showed up and cited her for "39.4:97.1 driving at slow speeds impeding traffic". Funny part was, there was no car behind! He was understanding and actually showed my wife where the doctor's office was but still ended up giving a ticket.

Seems the ticket has a penalty of $85 and 2 points, not including the potential increase in insurance premium (which is in my name as primary insured)

We have entered a "not guilty" plea online with court date set for 6/22. This is her first offense and understandably, she's pretty shaken up.

What are our chances of winning the no guilty plea? Will the prosecutor consider first time offense and since it's not a serious offense, can the case be dropped?
I would think she'd be able to go to traffic school and keep the points off of her record.

The last moving violation I got was in the late 2000s in New Jersey, and your wife's violation isn't any more serious than mine.

I wanted to go to traffic school (the cop, the instructions on the ticket, and calling various city, LEO, and court entities (I got a lot of repeatedly regurgitating pre planned responses rather than actual answers to my questions) were not helpful at all). I finally got the correct lay of the land from an insurance industry person. I would have been eligible to go to traffic school re my violation, but I was ineligible because I'm not a 'tri-state' resident .

Old 06-06-2023, 05:52 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I am no expert by any means, however everytime I have gotten a ticket the prosecutor has lessened the ticket. I even fought a parking ticket once and lost and the judge lessened the ticket. I will say though its up to the town some are good and some are bad.

Dont tell your wife to frett,she wasnt causing harm to the public and the prosecutor will take it lightly most likely with no points. I once got a driving to slow ticket by going the speed limit in NJ. I was a younger driver (in college) on a two lane road down the shore with the speed limit was 35mph. I was in the left lane and a cop pulled behind me so I drove 35mph (the speed limit) in traffic and got a ticket for impeding traffic by driving the speed limit.

At the time I had out of state tags and points/tickets didnt transfer to my home state so I just paid the ticket.
Probably about 10 years ago I was going east on SH105 going towards I-45 (coming back from Lake Conroe) in Texas.

A cop followed me for miles, and I was consistently going the speed limit or 1 MPH under the speed limit.

The cop pulled me over and said he thought it was suspicious that my speed was so consistent re the limit. .

I told him I saw him following me and wouldn't I and why wouldn't anyone drive in a manner that would keep me from getting a ticket. He told me to have a nice day.

A few months later I got into a conversation at the Panera Bread on that street with a couple of people. One of the guys told me that he had had that same thing happen on that road, and had responded in the same manner.

That road in that direction has a lot of speed limit changes that one might miss if not paying close attention. I wouldn't be surprised if cops follow people there hoping that drivers will pay enough attention to the cop following them that they won't be aware of the speed limit change.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:57 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
NJ 39 4 56 is the delaying traffic ticket that is lowest priced and truly zero points, while NJ 39 4 97.2 I think is the other one, unsafe driving, that most deals are made on that is about $475 and no fun,,,

Check various websites

https://www.southjerseylawfirm.com/3...unicipal-court

Old 06-06-2023, 10:18 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
I am no expert by any means, however everytime I have gotten a ticket the prosecutor has lessened the ticket. I even fought a parking ticket once and lost and the judge lessened the ticket. I will say though its up to the town some are good and some are bad.

Dont tell your wife to frett,she wasnt causing harm to the public and the prosecutor will take it lightly most likely with no points. I once got a driving to slow ticket by going the speed limit in NJ. I was a younger driver (in college) on a two lane road down the shore with the speed limit was 35mph. I was in the left lane and a cop pulled behind me so I drove 35mph (the speed limit) in traffic and got a ticket for impeding traffic by driving the speed limit.

At the time I had out of state tags and points/tickets didnt transfer to my home state so I just paid the ticket.
You wouldn't have gotten the ticket if you were in the right lane. NJ law is keep right except for passing. If you were only going 35, you most likely weren't passing anyone.

Quote:
NJ Rev Stat § 39:4-82, drivers in New Jersey must drive in the right lane unless they are passing another vehicle or turning left.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:03 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You wouldn't have gotten the ticket if you were in the right lane. NJ law is keep right except for passing. If you were only going 35, you most likely weren't passing anyone.
I understand that, however in my case it wasn't a highway it was Long Beach Island. There's two lanes and a traffic light every 1/5 mile throughout the 18 miles of island in an entirely residential area and traffic builds up as cars move in herds with all the lights. You really have two options, either speed up over the limit and move over or merge into the right lane of extremely close moving traffic. Its really a catch-22 situation because without a cop behind me I probably would have went 45mph in a 35mph and with that cop behind me I probably would have gotten a speeding ticket going 45mph. In my specific case I was in the left lane because I was making a left turn maybe a mile up the road and there is heavy traffic in both lanes.

I was 21 or 22 in a beatup old honda with 4 friends in the car. Regardless I was getting a ticket for something in a town that has no crime going on.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:29 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
I understand that, however in my case it wasn't a highway it was Long Beach Island. There's two lanes and a traffic light every 1/5 mile throughout the 18 miles of island in an entirely residential area and traffic builds up as cars move in herds with all the lights. You really have two options, either speed up over the limit and move over or merge into the right lane of extremely close moving traffic. Its really a catch-22 situation because without a cop behind me I probably would have went 45mph in a 35mph and with that cop behind me I probably would have gotten a speeding ticket going 45mph. In my specific case I was in the left lane because I was making a left turn maybe a mile up the road and there is heavy traffic in both lanes.

I was 21 or 22 in a beatup old honda with 4 friends in the car. Regardless I was getting a ticket for something in a town that has no crime going on.
Ahh. OK. Sounds like you were just easy revenue for the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey