Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM

57 posts, read 198,333 times

Advertisements

I just recently sold my house in Bergen County with an underground oil tank. I researched through the town ordinance and found that the quick solution was to have the tank emptied, not taken out. The excavaition alone would've cost us thousands. Instead, we had it emptied for a fraction of the cost and the buyers were satisfied with the end result. The tank was refilled with silicone or something like that. You might want to investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 05:28 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez View Post
I just recently sold my house in Bergen County with an underground oil tank. I researched through the town ordinance and found that the quick solution was to have the tank emptied, not taken out. The excavaition alone would've cost us thousands. Instead, we had it emptied for a fraction of the cost and the buyers were satisfied with the end result. The tank was refilled with silicone or something like that. You might want to investigate.
...and when those people go to sell and the next buyer forces them to take the tank out and find that it was actually leaking... be prepared to get a letter from an attorney putting you on notice that you are responsible for the cost to clean it up! Very bad recommendation Jose! I'm working on a very similiar case at the moment... tank was "abandoned-in-place" by a previous owner..two owners prior and they are going after him for the monies!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
...and when those people go to sell and the next buyer forces them to take the tank out and find that it was actually leaking... be prepared to get a letter from an attorney putting you on notice that you are responsible for the cost to clean it up! Very bad recommendation Jose! I'm working on a very similiar case at the moment... tank was "abandoned-in-place" by a previous owner..two owners prior and they are going after him for the monies!
Wiley, And they should. That should not be passed on to anyone.

Diane G-

Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sorry dude! I was just sharing what worked for me. To my knowledge, the tank only becomes an issue if it is full of oil. I may be wrong, it worked for me nonetheless. Legally, I might add.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM

75 posts, read 465,961 times
Default Underground tanks by actank

[SIZE=2]It does not matter if the tank has fuel in it or has been filled in place with an acceptable material if the soil around or under the tank exceeds limits for petroleum in the soil the tank and soil must be removed. This can be a costly clean-up. We test soil on approximately 3000 tanks a year just in NJ. Many of these tanks have been closed in place with the proper paper work and are found to have contaminated soil. The problem is people think they are saving money by not removing the tank and fail to have the soil evaluated because that cost would have made it more beneficial to remove the tank. In some cases people close the tank in place to hide the fact the tank was leaking.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-16-2009, 02:40 PM

57 posts, read 198,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actank View Post
[SIZE=2]It does not matter if the tank has fuel in it or has been filled in place with an acceptable material if the soil around or under the tank exceeds limits for petroleum in the soil the tank and soil must be removed. This can be a costly clean-up. We test soil on approximately 3000 tanks a year just in NJ. Many of these tanks have been closed in place with the proper paper work and are found to have contaminated soil. The problem is people think they are saving money by not removing the tank and fail to have the soil evaluated because that cost would have made it more beneficial to remove the tank. In some cases people close the tank in place to hide the fact the tank was leaking.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Ok cool point, but let me ask you this, if soil is contaminated, how long does it stay contaminated after it has been emptied and refilled with an accepted material? For example, if a new homeowner buys a home with contaminated soil and decides to sell after say, 10 years, is the soil still contaminated??

Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSEKNOWS View Post
Sorry dude! I was just sharing what worked for me. To my knowledge, the tank only becomes an issue if it is full of oil. I may be wrong, it worked for me nonetheless. Legally, I might add.
Not a dude
What actank stated is correct... regarding your question as to how long it takes for natural attenuation or biodegradation - there are too many factors to consider in order to answer that question - i.e. Soil type (clay, sand), how much and/or how bad was the contamination at the time the tank was decommissioned, etc. Plus NJDEP standards are constantly changes... exceptable levels seem to drop to even lower numbers every year or so. If it worked for you initially, great! Just don't stop looking over your shoulder as this can come back to haunt you down the road!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM

A decommisioned tank should only be left in the ground and filled in place if removal will create a problem because of its location. As stated by Not a Dude it could take more years than you count to have the contamination reach an acceptabvle level. If you plan to stop using your underground tank only hire companies that have NJ licenses. The State of NJ now requires any one testing or removing/closing in place an underground tank to be licensed. Demand to see the license.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actank View Post
A decommisioned tank should only be left in the ground and filled in place if removal will create a problem because of its location. As stated by Not a Dude it could take more years than you count to have the contamination reach an acceptabvle level. If you plan to stop using your underground tank only hire companies that have NJ licenses. The State of NJ now requires any one testing or removing/closing in place an underground tank to be licensed. Demand to see the license.
Or look for the company's name/lic. no. on the NJDEP website

Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Wileynj is correct you can verify that the company is licensed on the NJDEP web site. If you hire a company in NJ to evaluate and test a home owner's underground tank a company like the one I work for will send a NJ licensed technician to do the testing. This technician's license cannot be found on the NJDEP web site, therefor it is important to ask the technician for proof that he is licensed to do testing in NJ. The following states do not require a license to test home owners tanks NY(under 1100 gallons), PA, CT,DE, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey