Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 08:38 AM

401 posts, read 426,643 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion I lived in Kearny, NJ in the 1980’s and recall all the talk about the place during the planning process for the site. Never visited the mall, really hate shopping, ..lol. But I find it amazing they charge for parking. I now live 20 minutes from The King of Prussia Mall in Pa. No change for parking the few times I have visited Apple Store in the mall.

Based on this article the King of Prussia Mall is 3rd largest mall in the US.

https://www.worldatlas.com/places/10...n-america.html

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 06:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Interesting discussion I lived in Kearny, NJ in the 1980’s and recall all the talk about the place during the planning process for the site. Never visited the mall, really hate shopping, ..lol. But I find it amazing they charge for parking. I now live 20 minutes from The King of Prussia Mall in Pa. No change for parking the few times I have visited Apple Store in the mall.

Tom
I think the mighty King of Prussia Mall is actually second (to Mall of America) by rentable retail space; the amusement park stuff inflates American Dream's total square footage by quite a lot.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post

Tom
Wait, are you telling us, the American Dream/Xanadu has been in planning since the 1980s?

Old 01-10-2023, 07:37 PM

401 posts, read 426,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Wait, are you telling us, the American Dream/Xanadu has been in planning since the 1980s?
Was it the same owners I have no idea, but yes they were planning the mall way back then. I recall the owners/ builders talking it up to the planning board in the local newspapers back when all local news was in the papers.

I went to Mall of America about 10-15 years ago, my 2 daughters were all excited about going to a mall on vacation, me not so much I got out voted 3 to 1, wife and girls won! Thanks for the memory…lol.

Tom

Old 01-11-2023, 05:56 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
It was first proposed in 2003, even though construction didn't begin right away, and then construction continued--in fits and starts, and under several different owners--for quite a few years.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:40 PM

Well, lets just see how long it will take for the current owner or the next owner, and the one after that to make all the money, spent on it, back.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:09 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
I don't think this mall is ever going to survive. One, it is going to take a complete financial overhaul and a start from scratch. Based upon the history, nobody can come in "assume" and of the previous debt and make a decent go at this. It needs to be taken over by a lender and a new buyer will have to come in at a feasible price-point and start from scratch.

The second factor is size. You can't fill a substantial portion of that space overnight. So, as tenants come in slowly, there's not enough foot-traffic and captive audience for them to do well. They can't support it and wait for more tenants and more people. And so it goes. It's just too big to fill. Couple that with today's day and age. An up and running mall might be struggling, but they already have the occupancy and foot-traffic to survive. Starting from where this mall is, it's just too big to get up and running. Close down sections of it. Start to fill it in phases. Don't open the next section until the prior one is close to full. I think that might be the only way it could work, and even that's a longshot. It's just one of those "doomed" projects, locations, etc.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I don't think this mall is ever going to survive. One, it is going to take a complete financial overhaul and a start from scratch. Based upon the history, nobody can come in "assume" and of the previous debt and make a decent go at this. It needs to be taken over by a lender and a new buyer will have to come in at a feasible price-point and start from scratch.

The second factor is size. You can't fill a substantial portion of that space overnight. So, as tenants come in slowly, there's not enough foot-traffic and captive audience for them to do well. They can't support it and wait for more tenants and more people. And so it goes. It's just too big to fill. Couple that with today's day and age. An up and running mall might be struggling, but they already have the occupancy and foot-traffic to survive. Starting from where this mall is, it's just too big to get up and running. Close down sections of it. Start to fill it in phases. Don't open the next section until the prior one is close to full. I think that might be the only way it could work, and even that's a longshot. It's just one of those "doomed" projects, locations, etc.
How will "starting from scratch" be like? Kick all the current tenants out, and try to refill each section slowly like you state, and keep other sections closed?

How will a lender come in unless they assume the debt of previous owner?

Old 03-26-2023, 05:42 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Quote:
How will "starting from scratch" be like? Kick all the current tenants out, and try to refill each section slowly like you state, and keep other sections closed?

How will a lender come in unless they assume the debt of previous owner?
Starting from scratch means taking over and trying to fill the entire property from day one. So far, it hasn't worked. I say, leave who is there, pick the most ideal section or phase, change your parking and infrastructure, pray, and start leasing, LOL.

As far as the new owner, and whoever they bring in as their lender -- the previous debt is meaningless. It will not sell for 100 cents on the dollar (meaning the previous debt). If the current lender takes over and they are underwater, that's their problem. If they are owed $1B and can't sell it for that, then what? If they are not underwater, lucky them. But nobody is coming in at anywhere near the previous numbers being thrown around. The place is not profitable at those kinds of numbers. Hence the repetitive takeovers, bankruptcies, workouts, or whatever you want to call it.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Starting from scratch means taking over and trying to fill the entire property from day one. So far, it hasn't worked. I say, leave who is there, pick the most ideal section or phase, change your parking and infrastructure, pray, and start leasing, LOL.

As far as the new owner, and whoever they bring in as their lender -- the previous debt is meaningless. It will not sell for 100 cents on the dollar (meaning the previous debt). If the current lender takes over and they are underwater, that's their problem. If they are owed $1B and can't sell it for that, then what? If they are not underwater, lucky them. But nobody is coming in at anywhere near the previous numbers being thrown around. The place is not profitable at those kinds of numbers. Hence the repetitive takeovers, bankruptcies, workouts, or whatever you want to call it.
Which means no one is going to come in a takeover from current owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: