Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:01 PM

158 posts, read 590,713 times

Advertisements

I'm really resenting this latest storm and just days before I was supposed to get my new fireplace insert.

My town just about recovered from Irene and now this. Absolutely unreal. It's impossible to get ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,684,516 times
Anyone near the Lakewood/Brick area for Irene? How was it over here? This will be my first storm near the shore - I was in Ridgefield for Irene and we didn't even lose power. Some flooding in spots and a mess with downed trees and branches but nothing we couldn't deal with. This should be interesting to say the least....

Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 PM

4,169 posts, read 4,184,914 times
poop... i wish I pull the trigger and got the generator. Just hope nothing will happens in my area.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,444,024 times
i just plopped 400 bucks on once from amazon,should be here monday...

Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,166,487 times
I think I will order one, nothing around town here.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM

244 posts, read 598,443 times
Ok - this may be a dumb question but I have been renting apartments in Hoboken and NYC for the past 12 years so not up to speed on what to prepare for in a house. My husband and I purchased a house in NJ 2 months ago so we are new to this. There is a sump pump in the basement - do we need to test is? Sounds like a generator may be hard to come by now...obviously food and water...what else?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM

667 posts, read 1,745,923 times
Ok, another silly question. Don't you have to have your electric panel 'power ready' for a generator? Or is it just a matter of a powerful enough generator and a bunch of extension cords?

.....yes I know I would be the first killed by the zombies

Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,114,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Ok, another silly question. Don't you have to have your electric panel 'power ready' for a generator? Or is it just a matter of a powerful enough generator and a bunch of extension cords?

If you want to have the outlets in your house work off the generator, yes, you should have your house properly wired by an electrician to be setup for it.

Technically, you can (very, VERY illegally) backfeed into your house by turning off the main and using your dryer/240V outlet to connect the generator into. However, this has literally every safety issue you can possibly think of involved, and seriously.....DON'T DO IT, especially as someone who isn't highly knowledgeable on electrical topics. You will most likely burn your house down, kill a lineman working outside or kill yourself.

The proper solution for you, since you don't already have a transfer switch + generator setup on your home electrical, is to get heavy duty extension cords (the big, thick, expensive ones) and run them to the things you need to power. Don't do stupid things like run the refrigerator off the little extension cords you run your Christmas Lights on, or daisy chain 10 power strips and extension cords together.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM

7,222 posts, read 11,945,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post

Regarding the zombies. We have a full arsenal here (shotguns, rifles, handguns ammo etc.). When the zombies come, we will be waiting.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
famous last words...?
Well Winds will still be low , between 20-30mph and gusts up to 45mph ...i'm not worried about the winds but the NJ Gold Coast and low lying NYC and Coast areas could be under water by 6 feet....and the River flooding with be very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey