Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,684,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I hope this is the right thread for some of my questions. It appears there is a feud going on here, which I hope to avoid. Thanking you in advance.

My sister bought a house in Lavalette last year for $500k, right smack dab on the water. It was on leased land for $15,000 per year. I told her she was crazy but my brother obviously had more influence on her at the time so she went with his plan to buy a house and make a fortune in rentals while the house appreciated in value.

Anyway, now the house is gone. It was bulldozed yesterday. My boneheaded brother is supposed to be helping her arrange having a new house built, which she says now she'd like to sell upon completion.

Does anybody know any details about Governor Christie's buyout plan?
A rebuilt house will likely require pilings in order to avoid $30k annual insurance premiums. Who pays for those? She seems to think the government is picking up the tab for that.
She had flood insurance. Will it cover re-building costs?
Has the infrastructure been replaced yet? Electricity, cable, water, sewer?
Are people being reimbursed for loss of rental income, payment of leases, taxes, etc?

She seems to think she'll come out of this in one piece. I am so pizzed that she bought the house in the first place that in a way I hope she learns a hard lesson about not doing enough research before jumping into another one of my brother's hare-brained schemes.
As far as the pillars for elevating the home they are still in talks debating how high they need to be based on the locations of the homes and I believe the home owner is responsible for that cost. Pretty sure most of the utilities are up and running in that area. Doubt she will come out of this even - it will cost her money in the end, even with insurance/FEMA assistance, especially if she has to raise the foundation. I've heard a lot of people complaining about that - that their insurance companies are already screwing them and now this additional cost of raising their homes on top of it is going to lead to many people selling since they can't afford it. But it's something that needs to be done - the raised houses suffered much less damage than the others in this storm so it's a proven theory that it does work. Others can chime in for the rest of your questions as I don't know the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Seriously CaptainNJ, do you have no sense of shame? You mocked people in preparing for Sandy, trivialized the entire storm, and now you keep going in the same thread -- "saddened" that a restaurant won't be back and giving trite food reviews of shore restaurants? That NPD is showing again.
this is my lbi thread now. maybe someone can change the thread title. im also saddened by the loss of charles seafood garden. i remember i was just a lad when upon seeing their sign advertising "angus beef" my dad asked whats special about that. the waittress said that they are one of only 200 restaurants in nj to serve angus beef.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Charles Seafood Garden is gone? I used to love that place. At least Buckalew's is open.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Charles Seafood Garden is gone? I used to love that place. At least Buckalew's is open.
it was sold to another restaurant. i think that place lasted 1-2 years and then they bulldozed the whole building so its just an empty plot now.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,154,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
As far as the pillars for elevating the home they are still in talks debating how high they need to be based on the locations of the homes and I believe the home owner is responsible for that cost. Pretty sure most of the utilities are up and running in that area. Doubt she will come out of this even - it will cost her money in the end, even with insurance/FEMA assistance, especially if she has to raise the foundation. I've heard a lot of people complaining about that - that their insurance companies are already screwing them and now this additional cost of raising their homes on top of it is going to lead to many people selling since they can't afford it. But it's something that needs to be done - the raised houses suffered much less damage than the others in this storm so it's a proven theory that it does work. Others can chime in for the rest of your questions as I don't know the answers.
There's some information about the pilings in here:

New Jersey formally adopts federal advisory flood elevation maps for rebuilding after Sandy | NJ.com

I also found an interesting Facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyShoreHurricaneNews

https://www.facebook.com/rebuildourshore

Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,684,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Jersey Shore Hurricane News is an awesome FB page! I highly recommend it.

Here's some other articles talking about the costs and what people are going through:
Rising Costs Have Sandy Victims Contemplating Walking Away - Ocean City, NJ Patch

http://www.app.com/article/20130423/...ng-after-Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey