Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM

46 posts, read 207,727 times

Advertisements

I need to vent as well as get someone opinion on this issue. I purchased my first home a few months ago in Teaneck. My neighbors have all been very nice and extremely accomodating. My issue is that very recently my neighbors purchased a car for their son, so now they have a total of 3 cars. They can fit up to 3 or maybe 4 cars in their driveway. What I do not understand is why the mom parks in the driveway, the dad in front of their house and the son in front of mine!! Why can't they park in their driveway or park their 2 other cars in front of their home which clearly fit. Am I overreacting? I mean, if I knew that there was not enough space I wouldn't make an issue of it and I know that the streets are public property, but I just don't understand why on a daily basis, the son has to park in front of my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,146 times
I had a similar issue years ago in Bergen County. Our neighbors across the street had this massive SUV that they would always park in front of our home. They had a two-car garage and two cars. The SUV could never fit into the garage, yet they never parked it in their driveway.
I have to agree, although the street is public property, it's still rude to assume that you can park your vehicle in front of your neighbor's house. One day I had had it. I walked over to my neighbor, who I was friendly with, and asked her to please consider parking her truck on her side of the street, as it was blocking my view. She had no problem with it at all, and parked her SUV on her side of the street. I think some people are just oblivious and don't mean to be rude.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 207,727 times
Thanks. I will probably just start parking one of our vehicles in front of my house until they get the picture.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
ITA with stmaarten. Speak up. Definitely do it now rather than waiting until you've been fuming for weeks and end up just storming over there. I mean you will most likely be neighbors with these people for a long time, you know?

Something like that will niggle at you constantly even though the other party might not be aware at it. So I totally hear you there. Best to just do it now. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
honestly, i find this weird. where i grew up, you RARELY got to park in front your own house - wherever you found a spot, that's where you parked, whether it was in front of your neighbor's house, or 2 blocks away (not uncommon).

Now - NOT using your driveway just to park on the street, thereby taking parking away from those who need it? that's rude, IMHO. i lived in a house where I had no driveway, yet neighbors would leave their driveways empty and park in front of their house just so I couldn't (and yes, I confronted them, that's how I know this). in the off chance the spot was available and i'd take it, they'd jump out and reclaim it when i left for work. gimme a break.

growing up after a snowstorm my neighbors would put cones up in the spots they shoveled out so noone would park there. my dad would move the cones and park . He didn't put up cones where HE shoveled, and it's public property.

i'll probably be the lone dissentor on this subject, but when you're in an urban area, you can't be expect the same level of "privacy" (for lack of a better word) than in a more suburban/rural area. I'm not sure how Teaneck is, so YMMV.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
honestly, i find this weird. where i grew up, you RARELY got to park in front your own house - wherever you found a spot, that's where you parked, whether it was in front of your neighbor's house, or 2 blocks away (not uncommon).

Now - NOT using your driveway just to park on the street, thereby taking parking away from those who need it? that's rude, IMHO. i lived in a house where I had no driveway, yet neighbors would leave their driveways empty and park in front of their house just so I couldn't (and yes, I confronted them, that's how I know this). in the off chance the spot was available and i'd take it, they'd jump out and reclaim it when i left for work. gimme a break.

growing up after a snowstorm my neighbors would put cones up in the spots they shoveled out so noone would park there. my dad would move the cones and park . He didn't put up cones where HE shoveled, and it's public property.

i'll probably be the lone dissentor on this subject, but when you're in an urban area, you can't be expect the same level of "privacy" (for lack of a better word) than in a more suburban/rural area. I'm not sure how Teaneck is, so YMMV.

Of course that makes sense if you're in an urban area. But parts of Teaneck are very suburban, where parking on the street is usually only done by those who are visiting. If you live in a single family home you typically have a garage and a driveway at your disposal. Same was true in the Bergen and Sussex County towns that I lived in. You weren't allowed to park in the street after or during a snowfall, because the snowplows couldn't clear the snow efficiently enough. I can't imagine this happening in a place like Hoboken, for example, where you park wherever there's a spot available.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM

329 posts, read 1,443,022 times
This is such a pet peeve of mine that sometimes I have to remind myself how small-minded it is to get irritated. It's an on-going issue for me. My neighbor has a work truck and 2 cars. He comes home from work and I am stuck with this massive work truck in front of my home every freaking night. Week-ends are the worst. My kitchen faces the street. My neighbor a few doors down is the worst, they have 5 cars and a tiny driveway. Their cars are all over the place. When I think of my situation, I say it could be worse.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
This is such a pet peeve of mine that sometimes I have to remind myself how small-minded it is to get irritated. It's an on-going issue for me. My neighbor has a work truck and 2 cars. He comes home from work and I am stuck with this massive work truck in front of my home every freaking night. Week-ends are the worst. My kitchen faces the street. My neighbor a few doors down is the worst, they have 5 cars and a tiny driveway. Their cars are all over the place. When I think of my situation, I say it could be worse.
No, it's really NOT small minded of you at all. I think it comes down to respect for other people. What makes your neighbor think you want to look at his truck when you're looking out of the window? What if you worked for Company X, that uses filthy, old trucks in their business? Would it even cross your mind to park a piece of sh*& in front of his window? No, because you have a conscience and you wouldn't do that. Unfortunately some people are oblivious and just don't care. Sometimes all it takes is a little "nudge" and they figure it out. Other times people can be downright disrespectful. That's when you have to make a phonecall.
Yeah, the situation could be worse, but nonetheless, irritating.
This is where HOAs can be a blessing.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
If someone parked a truck in front of my house every night, I'd be irritated also. Check with your town. Many have ordinances that prohibit commercial vehicles from parking on the street overnight.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Of course that makes sense if you're in an urban area. But parts of Teaneck are very suburban, where parking on the street is usually only done by those who are visiting. If you live in a single family home you typically have a garage and a driveway at your disposal. Same was true in the Bergen and Sussex County towns that I lived in. You weren't allowed to park in the street after or during a snowfall, because the snowplows couldn't clear the snow efficiently enough. I can't imagine this happening in a place like Hoboken, for example, where you park wherever there's a spot available.
ok - wasn't sure, which is why i said YMMV.

i can't park in the street either during snow here, and actually you're not allowed to park overnight between 11/15 and 4/15 (something like that). that's weird if you ask me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey