Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM

593 posts, read 893,775 times

Advertisements

First of all, I believe that this is a suburb issue, not an urban/city issue. It's only an issue where most people have a driveway, and it is caused by cars that are not parked on the driveway.

Streets are indeed public property, and there is no law prohibiting anyone from parking unless there is no parking sign.

I think it is an issue of etiquette, and that's why people disagree on what's proper. There is no gold standard that everyone agrees.

Here is MY understanding of good etiquette: It's okay to park in front of someone's house from time to time IF you have no other space to park and IF your car is NOT in anyway making it difficult for your neighbors car to get in and out of their driveway. If you have sufficient space on your driveway, you should park ALL of your cars there even if it means shuffling the cars in and out sometimes. I consider it rude if someone parks their car in front of my house regularly even though they have space on their driveway. If it's when they have guests and there is no place to put their cars, then I wouldn't care less if their guests park their cars in front of my house for a couple of days, again assuming their cars are not making it difficult for me to get in and out of my driveway.

I'm sure some people agree with me while others don't. I would be interested in learning in what way people disagree with my etiquette standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 08:39 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This thread, as old as it really fascinates me. I have lived in Manasquan for most of my life. No one cares where you park on the street as long as you are not blocking a driveway. The notion that someone would be bothered by a car parking along the public road in front of a home is unimaginable to me. Maybe its a function of how far back your house is? Most of the houses here have a decent sized front yard, so could that be it?
Same here. I have never lived in a city where there is a law that states that a homeowner also owns the curbside street in front of their house. And I now live on a block where all off the house except maybe one or two don't have driveways (because they are of 1890's-era vintage), so it is on-street parking for 98-99% of the folks who live on that block.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM

593 posts, read 893,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This thread, as old as it really fascinates me. I have lived in Manasquan for most of my life. No one cares where you park on the street as long as you are not blocking a driveway. The notion that someone would be bothered by a car parking along the public road in front of a home is unimaginable to me. Maybe its a function of how far back your house is? Most of the houses here have a decent sized front yard, so could that be it?
I'm curious to know how you know "no one cares?"

As I wrote in my other post, I believe this is a suburb issue, not an urban issue. When we lived in Downtown Jersey City, we parked wherever we could find a spot (but no one had a driveway there).

And in suburb while there is no law against parking your car in front of your neighbor's house (if there is no sign), you'll never know how your neighbor feels about it unless you ask them.

I do mind people regularly park their cars in front of my house even though they have driveway to park, and I assume most people share the same sentiment.

Again, this is an issue of etiquette, and that's why people disagree.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM

103 posts, read 76,404 times
I had a neighbor who always had her workmen (painters, landscapers, etc.) park on my side of the street in front of my house.

She didn't want their "old cars" polluting the look of her property. LOL. Neighbors.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,630 times
Wow I found this from 15 years ago lol
It’s amazing how entitled people are.
I could never picture complaining about not being able to park in front of my house. Not unless your town is super spacious. Like your nearest neighbor is 200 feet away. Idk.

It just seems like such a little thing to get mad about. You own a home. Literally piece of property where you can live your life. Owning a home doesn’t mean the public street in front of your home is yours too. I understand there is more space on the street to park but let’s all be real here people.

If you reallly want to park in front of your house and youre losing sleep over it, I suggest you time it perfectly as soon as the spot is available TAKE IT. And then leave it there for a bit. Let it sink in. Take a deep breath and smell the air around your car being parked right in front of your house.

THATS YOUR HOUSE SMELL THAT ****

If you don’t want to do that, then stop complaining. You’re from Teaneck Nj. You’ve never had to park 2-3 blocks from your house with bags of groceries. It’s always clean and beautiful in Teaneck. Gorgeous. Get over it. People have real life problems they have to deal with everyday.

To everyone that’s has replied to this. Hi. How do you feel about this issue now?
Am I spitting facts or am I steady tripping?

Old 01-04-2023, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
I'm curious to know how you know "no one cares?"

As I wrote in my other post, I believe this is a suburb issue, not an urban issue. When we lived in Downtown Jersey City, we parked wherever we could find a spot (but no one had a driveway there).

And in suburb while there is no law against parking your car in front of your neighbor's house (if there is no sign), you'll never know how your neighbor feels about it unless you ask them.

I do mind people regularly park their cars in front of my house even though they have driveway to park, and I assume most people share the same sentiment.

Again, this is an issue of etiquette, and that's why people disagree.
Ok you see here. I’m completely ok with you going to the town hall and paying for the reserved spot. They could put signs up or whatever you want them to do. But for you to think it’s not right or ride for people to park in front of your house is one of the most entitled things I’ve heard. Lol it’s so funny to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey