Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,820 times

Advertisements

What's the problem here? It's a public street and the car is not touching your property. Move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
What's the problem here? It's a public street and the car is not touching your property. Move on.
the problem is what is normal and customary in hoboken is not the same in suburban areas, it is a big breach of etiquette and custom to park in front of a neighbors home in many places and like some have offered it might even be against the law

Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the problem is what is normal and customary in hoboken is not the same in suburban areas, it is a big breach of etiquette and custom to park in front of a neighbors home in many places and like some have offered it might even be against the law
I lived in Belleville where everyone had driveways and there were still cars out in the streets. If there is no city ordinance stating cars have to be off the streets from XXPM to XXAM (Nutley does this) then there is nothing that can be done and it's busy body neighbors that this irritates.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 PM

223 posts, read 795,926 times
i gather that most home owners like yourself would love to own the street that occupies the front of their homes. in fact, many NJ home owners all ready believe they do, putting out garbage pails after a snowstorm to cordone off the "public" space they dug their cars out of to ensure a happy, painless return.

if it's space you crave, go west young man.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
I had a neighbor that lived across the street in NJ, that parked in front of my mailbox. I had to go to the post office. I told him he was causing me to go out of my way. He didn't care, so as he was getting out of his car, I turned on my sprinkler system, he never parked there again.
He had a huge driveway and lots of room in front of my home. I think he just did it on purpose. He had no idea that I turned it on when I saw him.

Here they can't do that, its against the Home Owners Accociations bylaws.
We have driveways, Garages, so no parking on street at night.

Diane

Last edited by Diane Giam; 10-01-2007 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-02-2007, 04:38 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaneckgirl View Post
I need to vent as well as get someone opinion on this issue. I purchased my first home a few months ago in Teaneck. My neighbors have all been very nice and extremely accomodating. My issue is that very recently my neighbors purchased a car for their son, so now they have a total of 3 cars. They can fit up to 3 or maybe 4 cars in their driveway. What I do not understand is why the mom parks in the driveway, the dad in front of their house and the son in front of mine!! Why can't they park in their driveway or park their 2 other cars in front of their home which clearly fit. Am I overreacting? I mean, if I knew that there was not enough space I wouldn't make an issue of it and I know that the streets are public property, but I just don't understand why on a daily basis, the son has to park in front of my house.
Because they are rude. Dennis & Judy were talking about this last year; while some understood, others didn't.

I'm from Union County. Sure we had a driveway with a 2 car garage, but when the kids drove, we needed more parking. Usually people parked right in front of their house on their own side of the street, this was common courtesy. When it snowed you shoveled your driveway & side walk, you also shoveled the street if you had to park there. For the most part, if you shoveled it, it was considered your spot.

We had this neighbor that insisted the spot in front of our property was theirs. Funny, it was right in front of our garden, and even though the garden was included in the land survey, the street parking belonged to them. Since they lived on a corner they not only had the spots in front of their house but on the side. No clue why they had to park where they did. They could fit a good 10 cars parking around their house.

They had it out with our tenants, swearing the tenant couldn't park there because it was their spot. They even put cones there. IDK, I feel weird parking in front of someone else's house even if I visit someone. You never know if someone with a bad back needs that spot since it is closer to their house & less of a walk. What if someone is coming in with groceries.

Treat people the way you want to be treated, this includes parking your car.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
Sure the street is public, but wouldn't it be nice if neighbors could be considerate?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:18 AM

48 posts, read 163,641 times
I would just say something. Most neighbors want to get along to a degree. If they don't know it bothers you then they won't fix it. Before you claim a town ordinance or call someone on them I would just mention it nicely to them and see if that works. You don't want your neighbors getting mad at you with Halloween coming up!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 AM

46 posts, read 207,670 times
I had to park in front of her house yesterday because her son's car was in front of mine. I had to wait for my husband to come from work so that i can park behind him since I leave earlier in the mornings, but I was sooooo upset that I left it in front of her house and you know what? I was looking out the window and saw her come out with a very upset face looking at my car! Are you kidding me???? If her son would park in front of her house, I wouldn't have to park there!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:08 AM

31 posts, read 49,110 times
This makes me laugh because it is so true... I don't understand why neighbors continue to park in front of other peoples homes when they clearly have enough room in their driveway or even a spot in front of their own home!

I grew up in a town where the homes were close together, and the driveways were only able to fit 3 squeezed in cars... We would ALWAYS have to do the car shuffle in the mornings when everyone left at different times for work/school. This was mostly due to the fact of all the illegal housing on our block and all the peoples cars who parked on the street and left their cars there for long periods of time, but also we were trying to be respectful and not park all the cars out onto the street.

After the horrific neighbors we had to endure, we finally chose to move to Wayne where you are not allowed to leave cars parked on most streets between the hours of 2am and 5am I believe. Since we have moved here, most people usually follow this rule. But a certain "much younger neighbor" who just recently purchased a property (and actually grew up across the street from this particular home where his family still resides) has him and his friends (usually around 4 - 6 cars worth) who stay over often park in front of 3 homes (one of the homes being ours) all night long.

We finally decided to call Wayne and let them handle it (and apparently several other neighbors did the same) and I have not seen the cars parked on the street since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey