Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM

283 posts, read 667,289 times

Advertisements

Retriever:

We discussed about 2-zone heating with a lady for upgrade at Summerfields. She is knowledgeable and honest. She told us it is not necessary, since all homes are energy-star rated and the bergen house is small. The upgrade for 2 zone heating costs $6,400 and involves installing 2nd furnace in attic with thermostat control on 2nd floor. The main furnace is in basement with thermostat on first floor. Since only me and my wife (kids are in other states) will be staying, we can keep temp. low or use poortable heater or wear sweater.

The heating cost depends upon:
1) House size and heating volume
2) Large windows and how insulated home is (new homes are much better)
3) Any high ceiling (cathedral ceiling) for family room, etc.
4) heating temperature setting. Some people keep 75F! Every one degree rise in set temp. will cost 10% more on heating expenses.

Yogesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Care to guess again on the size of the service entrance conductors?
Why do people insist on throwing out numbers when they don't know what they are talking about?
please enlighten me master of NEC. I was under impression 100 amp was #4, and 200 amp was 2/0.

Tell me why costs arent negligible when upgrading provided you havent done any of the work yet?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM

11 posts, read 54,334 times
Default summerfield prices/lot sizes/

hello everyone.
just discovered this new development after searching the area for a newer home. we really wanted a new construction and from all the posts i've read, you all seem pretty happy with your choice.
my question is whether they have the lot sizes, for each model. i heard someone say small back yards. are there any pavers/decks included or is this all extra.
also, how long does it take to build a home, for those of you already living there. finally, what is the extra price for a corner lot, which yogesh has said is larger than the average lot??

anyone who is already living there, i'd appreciate some feedback, any recommendations for us, still pondering the purchase.
also, have they increased the prices or are they still the same from the previous thread?
thanks.
33 spring

Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 AM

To 33 springs:

Most of the lots are of the size 60 x 110 ft. Our Bergen home has also the same plot size. May be bigger models (Mercer/Somerset/Sussex) come with bigger plots. Please check with builder. Corner or larger plots have premium on it. Bergen home size is about 40ft x 40ft. The same small plot sizes one will find at Heritage Homes piscataway also. It seems new home owners prefer smaller lots, as most of the times remain indoors. It is also good for builders who can builde more homes per acre.

We booked the home in end of December 2011. Closing is expected in first week of September. Thus assume about 8 weeks for construction. Our home construction is going on as expected with outer walls have come up. The early bookings were made in May 2011 and people have started living there.

One thing I can say that people, including Abby are very honest and truthful in info. The construction is modern and energy efficient.

Yogesh Upadhyaya

Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,404,163 times
Shameless sales pitch

Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM

19,145 posts, read 25,367,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
We discussed about 2-zone heating with a lady for upgrade at Summerfields.
When I bought my house in 1996, I couldn't afford the upcharge for 2-zone heating and cooling. In retrospect, I am glad that I avoided it. My next-door neighbor, who did opt for a 2-zone system, finally admitted what I knew to be true--namely that having to go into the attic during the summer, in order to change furnace filters, was...shall we say...not pleasant, in view of the reality that the attic can easily reach 130 degrees on a hot summer day.

And, although this would probably not be a factor nowadays, his 1996-era attic furnace relies on an old-fashioned pilot light for ignition, even though our basement furnaces all have electronic ignition. My neighbor has frequently had to go into the attic on frigid days in order to relight the pilot light that was blown out by air currents.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Shameless sales pitch
To PDD:

I am just a home buyer and not connected with any builder or a real estate agent. I am writing what I feel is correct and there is nothing to gain from it.

Yogesh Upadhyaya

Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I bought my house in 1996, I couldn't afford the upcharge for 2-zone heating and cooling. In retrospect, I am glad that I avoided it. My next-door neighbor, who did opt for a 2-zone system, finally admitted what I knew to be true--namely that having to go into the attic during the summer, in order to change furnace filters, was...shall we say...not pleasant, in view of the reality that the attic can easily reach 130 degrees on a hot summer day.

And, although this would probably not be a factor nowadays, his 1996-era attic furnace relies on an old-fashioned pilot light for ignition, even though our basement furnaces all have electronic ignition. My neighbor has frequently had to go into the attic on frigid days in order to relight the pilot light that was blown out by air currents.
Retriever:

Thanks. We also originally planned to have 2nd heating zone furnace but after discussing with builder's representative, discussing with experts, online reasearch, etc. dropped the idea. Our Bergen home is 2,655 sq ft (US median home floor is about 2,600 sq. ft). The second furnace would have cost $6,400 and would be placed in attic, the original one is in basement. The reasons are:

1) House is not big enough to have necessity for 2nd zone. Plus we do not have cathedral ceilings (like Essex/Merce/Somerset/Sussex models). The modern houses are well insulated despite large windows.
2) Attic furnace may develop condensation buildup problem during winter season
3) Financially there is hardly any savings and the capital cost will be recovered in many years.
4) Efficiency can be achieved by lowering the thermostat on first floor at night. As warmer air rises, the 2nd floor room will be about 3-5F hotter than the first floor. In cathedral type ceiling in family rooms, the temp near the roof can be 10-15 F hotter than the ground floor.
5) Two furnaces means there will be at least more utility cost, as both will be running most of the time, and even if not running, there will be operating cost of pilot buner, some power consumption, etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
To PDD:

I am just a home buyer and not connected with any builder or a real estate agent. I am writing what I feel is correct and there is nothing to gain from it.

Yogesh Upadhyaya
Not your post, the one that was deleted.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 54,334 times
Default Time frame accurate? Small lots and is it right for children?

Hello all
For those who have already moved in, was the time frame that you were told on schedule? Or was it delayed? I am considering a purchase as well, after my house closing goes through, and need to find a rental while they build.

Next question, I'm worried that the lot sizes are too small and the houses close together. I have 2 young children and would hope that they could have some room to run around. It's hard for me to get a feel because there arent too many owners living there yet.

Finally, the drive through the industrial area getting there, doesn't really give it a home neighborhood feel.
ny thoughts, experiences, words of wisdom would.be greatly appreciated. Ths is a huge decision and just want feedback to be sure I'm making the right one.

Tks yogesh for your thoughtful input and information!!!:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey