Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 05:22 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times

Advertisements

Apparently the medical community is advising us to take down our bird feeders:

Take Down Your Bird Feeders to Reduce Spread of Bird Flu: Experts

Kind of a bummer, but okay. I usually only stock mine during the winter months anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 06:16 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
I've been thinking about this lately as I've been reading about the bird flu. I think I'll let the seed I have in my feeders now get used up, then leave them empty for a while.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:44 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Default Why experts say you should immediately stop filling birdfeeders

avian influenza. it's in at least 27 states now.

Quote:
Experts are issuing unusual advice – quit filling your bird feeders.

The reason, according to Dr. Victoria Hall with the Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota, is an “unprecedented outbreak” of highly pathogenic avian influenza, or HPAI, strain H5N1 in wild birds.

“In areas with HPAI transmission in any avian species, consider pausing the use of bird feeders and baths for the next couple of months until the rate of virus transmission in wild birds dramatically decreases,” Hall said. “Not only will this action help to protect those beautiful feathered creatures that visit your yard, but will also help all wild bird species that are already having it hard this spring because of HPAI.”
https://www.al.com/news/2022/04/why-...rdfeeders.html

daily running totals for wild bird positives here: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...pai-wild-birds

Old 04-20-2022, 10:04 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Feeding wildlife rarely has a positive effect on anything but feelings of self-gratification.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I feel like I'm having a brain block...

Sincerely asking...how is ME not filling a bird feeder going to stop the spread? It doesn't stop birds from coming in my yard, or building nests and so forth. I guess I could see the point if it keeps birds from congregating...but many of the birds I see in MY yard and neighbors yards congregate without bird feeders already.

I guess I'm not seeing how my actions make a difference one way or another. Wild birds don't seem to succumb, most of the time, to the disease. It's pretty much all domestic birds that are susseptible to dying from the disease. So yeah, if you keep chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese...take precautions. But I don't understand, regarding the wild birds.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:49 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
And sometimes has negative effects as harsh as death. My husband stopped to help a man who had a turkey smashed in the windshield this morning. Someone feeds them corn to keep them around. There's one less crossing the road now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Feeding wildlife rarely has a positive effect on anything but feelings of self-gratification.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:02 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Well, I've read articles ASKING people to stock bird feeders, in previous years because migratory song birds weren't getting enough food from their usual sources, do to cleared fields and forests, etc. So...I'll keep doing what I'm doing until someone can tell me why NOT filling bird feeders is bad. And this article isn't making it clear to me why I should stop.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Then Spread the Bird seed on the ground!

Like not letting your cats eat out of the same bowl. Thats how Feline leukemia virus spreads!

Old 04-20-2022, 01:25 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I feel like I'm having a brain block...

Sincerely asking...how is ME not filling a bird feeder going to stop the spread? It doesn't stop birds from coming in my yard, or building nests and so forth. I guess I could see the point if it keeps birds from congregating...but many of the birds I see in MY yard and neighbors yards congregate without bird feeders already.

I guess I'm not seeing how my actions make a difference one way or another. Wild birds don't seem to succumb, most of the time, to the disease. It's pretty much all domestic birds that are susseptible to dying from the disease. So yeah, if you keep chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese...take precautions. But I don't understand, regarding the wild birds.
shared feeders serve as a source of inoculum:

Quote:
Infected birds can shed the virus through their saliva and feces, leaving shared surfaces contaminated for other birds to pickup and further spread the virus.
https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...-flu-rise.html

OTOH, i've read other other sources claiming songbirds aren't a greatly affected as waterfowl and predatory birds like owls, eagles, etc.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:32 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
shared feeders serve as a source of inoculum:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...-flu-rise.html

OTOH, i've read other other sources claiming songbirds aren't a greatly affected as waterfowl and predatory birds like owls, eagles, etc.
The songbirds that are infected can spread it around. There is a huge risk to commercial poultry flocks. This virus is so contagious that if even one bird is confirmed to have it, the whole flock has to be destroyed. It's already spread to >31 states, and is hitting poultry flocks in the midwest very hard. 22M birds have already had to be euthanized. When this happened in 2015, it cost the country half a billion dollars.

Why risk another disruption to our food supply chain if not filling your feeders may help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature