Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times

Advertisements

Which of these is worse and will swine flu be the one that wipes out a portion and/or most of the population of north america?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
neither

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Which of these is worse and will swine flu be the one that wipes out a portion and/or most of the population of north america?
No flu will wipe out most of the population of north america, not even the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic did that. The swine flu does look serious, and it can kill millions. Even the normal flu kills thousands of Americans each year.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
No flu will wipe out most of the population of north america, not even the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic did that. The swine flu does look serious, and it can kill millions. Even the normal flu kills thousands of Americans each year.

I was exaggerating.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I was exaggerating.
So why create a thread about your exaggeration? Just to see your name in internet lights?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
So why create a thread about your exaggeration? Just to see your name in internet lights?

I didn't start a thread to exaggerate, I just wanted to see everyones thoughts on this serious issue.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
First of all, being a "this vs that" type of question, it's being moved to the right area.

Second, we've had no deaths so far in the U.S. or Canada from the "new" swine flu. All deaths have been in Mexico. The theory being that we have regular flu seasons here and over time, most Americans and Canadians have been exposed to numerous variations of the flu. We apparently have certain "remnants" in us that MIGHT dilute the swine flu when we get it, making our immune systems better able to handle it. They do not have regular flu seasons in Mexico the same way and frequency that we have them here, so their native immune systems are slightly different in the way they're reacting to this strain.

The avian flu is completely different and has a higher mortality rate among all age groups, however, it's believed that once it mutates to the point it can be easily transmitted from person to person, then it too might be watered down a bit and not be as potent as the avian strain people are getting directly from close contact with birds overseas.

Regardless of WHAT flu strain - if you're sick, stay home. If your kids are sick, keep them home. Do not go out to eat, travel, go to the mall or to work or school. If you're really sick, get to a doctor so they can check you and prescribe proper meds if needed. Wash your hands frequently. Don't cough open-mouthed into the air, and don't allow your kids to do so. VERY common sense stuff that not everyone seems to "get", which is why the swine flu is spreading.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
...AND CANCEL YOUR SPRING BREAK TRIPS TO MEXICO! A week of drugs, sex, and parties isn't worth the risk to yourself and your country! It makes me SICK! (no pun intended)

Old 04-28-2009, 02:16 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Swine and Yes.

I haven't left the house in the last 3 days except for a few things and I wore a mask. This is VERY SERIOUS. And please folks, remember to stay far far away from any swine or mexican.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Swine and Yes.

I haven't left the house in the last 3 days except for a few things and I wore a mask. This is VERY SERIOUS. And please folks, remember to stay far far away from any swine or mexican.

I have to put myself at risk everyday since this is spreading among NYC schools. I have tons of mexicans where I teach who regularly go to and from Mexico. Cooping yourself up in your house isn't really the right thing to do. You're miles and miles from where the cases are spreading anyway. 28 kids just got it a few towns from me. But I can't not go to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City