Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times

Advertisements

I was in that Hermitage House when it stood by the marsh......We had to make an appt. and there were a few of us there. I took a few pictures of the inside bedroom. At the time I knew it was haunted but I didn't know the romantic story.
I understand from a local that it was moved to the other side of 17.....I hope to have time to look for it soon. I remember it well.
I have no idea where the smaller grave site is. That is interesting to know.
When our friends took us to Alices grave last year, I started to put my past visit to that home and Alices story together. It had been so very long since I roamed inside that home.......
The entire story is so interesting........
I actually went to the cemetery twice.......so much interesting history there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 12,623 times
You can here all about these stories and more if you take a tour with us in the Mystery Machine as we travel to 16 different haunted locations in North Myrtle Beach, SC. to find out more just visit our website at http://Myst3ryINc.yolasite.com.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
How exciting what a fun thing to do. I didn't realize that there was 16 haunted locations in our area.
Alices story is so interesting and so involved. I always wonder if it is totally true, partly true or just a tale. I imagine some of it is true after all.
I have to remember that one picture I have of her bedroom shows a "sort of " image on the back wall. At least that is what people who looked at it have told me. Yikes!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
When I visited Alice's grave about 20 years ago, I had been told to walk backwards around her grave 10 times and after doing so would be able to feel Alice's ghost tug at the ring on my finger. Has anyone else ever heard this variation of the legend? And by the way, whether it was the power of suggestion or dizziness, I DID feel the ring on my finger being pulled.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 838 times
When I was there last week. My husband and I went to visit Alice. This was our second trip there. It is so interesting to see what people have left there. I two made a wish. You get a real feeling of sadness if you know the tells that are told about Alice. Just to know she love so much that she died with a broken heart. Rip sweet Alice. My heart goes out for you for never to know what might have been for you. If you ever get to visit her grave, I know you will also fill this same feeling that I did.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,234 times
It makes a great story, but alas, it's probably nothing more than that. Not to play the crotchety old dude role here, but there is no local factual information to support the legend of Alice Flagg. All Saint's records do not include her burial, and this plot is marked as commemorative. No one would blame All Saints for discouraging the rumor, but it's unlikely they are flat out lying. Also, family records indicate Alice died and was buried in January, 1849 at Cedar Hill, which was the plantation where Belin United Methodist is now located in Murrells Inlet. The Hermitage was not completed until late 1848 or early 1849. Since Rev Belin lived there for awhile before he sold it to Dr. Flagg (Alice's brother), it's highly unlikely Alice ever actually lived in Hermitage, although she probably visited her uncle while he was living there. Apparently Alice did leave home to attend boarding school in Charleston, but that was common among wealthy plantation families in this area because there were very limited educational opportunities here.

Sister Peterkin, a truly delightful storyteller and author, lived with her family in the Hermitage until she died a few years ago. She attributed the story to a "ghost story" created by one of her family members (father, maybe, I can't remember) to entertain young family members when they came to visit at the scary old Hermitage back in the 40's. As I recall, other researchers found no written or oral record of the "Legend of Alice" prior to about this time, including interviews with many area natives.

Still, it's a neat story, and local tour guides continue to nurture it as dependable way to draw tourists.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:46 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,674,170 times
Parade cancelled due to rain.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:23 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,812 times
PD, you are not helping the marketing of the "The Ghost of Alice Flagg" coming out next year. A neighbor/friend (Freakin' Deacon) of my dad will be playing a tour guide (or at least that is what I think he is playing). It is a cool story, though. I am looking forward to the movie!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:38 AM

253 posts, read 470,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
It makes a great story, but alas, it's probably nothing more than that. Not to play the crotchety old dude role here, but there is no local factual information to support the legend of Alice Flagg....Still, it's a neat story, and local tour guides continue to nurture it as dependable way to draw tourists.
Ah, PD, where's your romance?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,234 times
The truth always hurts. ~ The RainMaker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area