Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,469 times

Advertisements

So when you don't grow up somewhere, the unknown is always more scary I think. For instance, a lot of people I met while living in the south were afraid of earthquakes. I would take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornadoes any day... but i think it's cause you live through it right?

Well I'm thinking of moving back to Myrtle for a long time this time... I didn't experience any bad weather last year, so I'm just wondering how serious are hurricanes there? I know they have them, as i see the "hurricane evacuation route signs" driving west...

But my real concern is alligators. or crocodiles, do you even have them? i know Florida has both.... This is because I have two dogs who absolutely love the water, not to swim in... just to kinda splash around in... I know they are not in the ocean, and ive read things about "fresh water", but again I didn't grow up with anything like that and that is my biggest concern (along with the annoyance of bugs... UGH)... So i kinda get to stay away from lakes and rivers and such... but ALL of them? i mean that pretty limits what my dogs can do and go? and those water ponds behind the houses that i saw all over the place, that look man made... are those not safe either?

i appreciate any info, and sorry if i sound dumb, i just have no knowledge of these creatures since I never had to worry about it. This is a big deal in my move or not.
Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Hurricanes are not serious until you are involved in a big one. Many people experience small Cat1's and Cat2's, and then become very cavalier about the potential danger of a hurricane, and you get something like Katrina, and everybody whines... ohh we had no idea hurricanes would flood New Orleans... So the issue is preparation, every time.

Gators are typically scared of you, until you become bold and begin to aggravate them, at which case they become dangerous. I'd be a little more wary of gators that hang out around suburban areas, you might have some idiots feeding them, which makes them aggressive.

Crocs are always aggresive, but extremely rare.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
rubber_factory is dead on with his comments re: hurricanes. From a selfish perspective, it's always a good year unless one happens to hit where you live. On the other hand, if the hurricane season passes with only one storm, and you happen to catch it, it can be a really lousy year. No other way to look at it. We had a Cat 1 pass thru several years ago. For most of us, it just meant a lot of yard clean-up. Unfortunately, one neighbor had one big limb break out of a tree, dropped like a spear thru his roof and into his living room. He was out of town and by the time neighbors could get interior access, the accompanying rain had really done a number. The only hurricane that came close that year, but for him, it was a lousy year. The big difference between earthquakes and hurricanes is the notice you get ahead of time. With hurricanes, you might not be able to stop the damage, but at least you can get out of the way. Not always so with earthquakes or tornadoes.

Down here, gators are part of daily life, except during the colder months. Crocs are not found much further north than the Everglades, and it's extremely rare to find a gator on the beach, but you can expect to see them anywhere else, including some of the salt marshes that mix with fresh water. We have several man-made ponds in our neighborhood. One of them is not much bigger than a swimming pool. It's also the favorite hangout of one of the gators that call our neighborhood "home". The only real problem we ever had was when a house was being built near a pond, and the workers fed a gator for several days on their lunch break. That gator had to be killed. BTW, SCDNR no longer "relocates" gators. If a gator is declared a nuisance, DNR contracts with private individuals to capture and kill it. Don't seem quite right when they were here long before we moved in on their territory. Small dogs and roaming cats can both be a problem. Gators are known to be attracted to both and can move very quickly for short distances.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,469 times
thanks for the info. my dogs are not small, both about 55 pounds. i figured this does not matter if it comes to an alligator. so, are my basic options, they can run around the beach (there is a dog beach i assume - have yet to research) and then take them on walks leashed? i mean... im talking like, is an alligator gonna just come walking up behind me, you know? lol.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Not that we have been here that long, and not that we are living in a nature preserve (Murrells Inlet), but our townhouse has quite a buffer of dense woods behind it and our developement seems to be surrounded by marsh land (especially recently, with all the rain). Anyway, the only gators I have seen are the ones that hang out along the causeway in Huntingdon Beach State Park. I'm not too supprised at that. But I am supprised that I have really not seen much wildlife at all. Sure, it has been too cool recently. But back in the warm months, little lizards. One small snake. Turtles in the run-off ponds. Sure, lots of birds (however, nothing bird wise like SW Florida we just returned from). I'm kind of dissapointed. I expected to see snakes and other more exotic wildlife daily. Then again, I have not seen nearly the amount of bugs I expected either. In Central NJ, the bugs are much more of a problem that what I have seen here.....

What's going on? Road kill??

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
The only gators I have seen have been at the state park. However, I do remember reading about a guy who had a very unfortunate encounter with one on a golf course. Coincidentally, just this morning, my cousin sent me an email with pictures about it. I tried to post them, but don't know how and don't have the copyright, etc. But here is a link to a website that shows them. Warning, very graphic!

What Is A Golf Ball Worth? - Big Picture's posterous

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
I wouldn't expect problems with a dog of that size, even though the gator may outweigh him. Usually the problem is with small dogs or cats hanging around the edge of creeks or ponds. If a gator has been fed by humans, it may swim toward other humans, and that's a warning sign. At one time, Huntington Bch St Park allowed visitors to crab off the observation pier. That was stopped 8 or 9 years ago because the chicken necks were attracting and holding gators around the pier. I've also been told that they can get very protective when young have just hatched, but I have never experienced that situation, and it's odd behavior for cold-blooded animals. During summer, we frequently come across them when kayaking or walking a path near the river, but they always know we're coming and get out of the way before we get close. IMO, they are far less a risk down here than the dangerous species known as Blue-Haired Towncar Pointers.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
IMO, they are far less a risk down here than the dangerous species known as Blue-Haired Towncar Pointers.
Haha, that was funny. Well, being basically a city boy from NY, I have enjoyed the wildlife I have encountered since moving here. We live on a "lake" aka retention pond that has a gator or two. The neighbors have told us that they used to sun on edge of our backyard, but between the kids & the dog they have moved to other areas. We do get a variety of birds, including blue herons, several species of ducks, snow egrets etc.

Somehow we wound up with a couple of pet ducks that we kept in the yard last spring until one went missing. Raccoon, alligator, who knows?

I have seen a small alligator on the beach at Pawleys that probably came out near Prince George or Debourdieu & was caught up in the current. It swam away but I learned later on that it popped up in a yard on Pawleys Island. A police officer was able to catch it & brought it over to the river. I have a photo of it which I will try to find.

If you get a chance to cruise the Waccamaw river near Sandy Island you will certainly find some very large gators... 12-15 feet. Once, while tubing in the river I had fallen off & looked over to see a dorsal fin about 15 yards from me. I almost crapped myself. Then I saw a few more swimming in the familiar up & down motion of dolphins. I was surprised to learn that they came that far up the river.

If you get the opportunity to view a loggerhead turtle nest inventory (or even more rare by witnessing one come ashore to lay eggs) I would highly recommend it. The turtle people collect the newly hatched turtles & you get to watch them crawl into the ocean.

I cannot be certain but I am quite confident that I saw a couple of coyote run across Willbrook Blvd in front of my car one night last year. And there are plenty of deer around, too.

Last edited by baylovers; 01-27-2010 at 01:45 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,516 times

Photo of small gator (about 3 feet) that washed up on Pawleys Island beach.

Sunset over the creek on Pawleys Island.

Took this last week while visiting with a friend at the boat ramp at Cypress River Plantation in Socastee. This is where the Waccamaw River splits from the Intracoastal Waterway.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 AM

245 posts, read 761,642 times
lovely pics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area