Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:45 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times

Advertisements

Can some of you old timers to Myrtle Beach share some hurricane stories. I'm a little worried about the upcoming hurricane season. Has Myrtle Beach ever taken a direct hit and what kinds of damage has anyone experienced. I did some research and have't been able to find a whole lot. Also is tornados an issue in the Myrtle Beach area. I researched those also and I came up with one a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
The closest hits MB has taken from hurricanes in the last couple of generations were from Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and from Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Hazel's eye crossed the coast at the NC/SC line about 25 miles northeast of MB and the center of Hugo's eye crossed the coast in the neighborhood of Bull's Bay, just northeast of Charleston. This is about 60 miles southwest of MB. MB sustained damage and storm surge during both storms, but the damage was only bad right along the coast in MB proper. North of MB had severe damage during Hazel, but it was very sparcely populated at the time. Charleston was in the western eyewall during Hugo and suffered severe damage. If another category 4 hurricane either had its eye pass directly over Myrtle Beach or within 30 miles southwest of MB, the damage there would be severe with a very bad storm surge. MB is, for all intents and purposes, on a barrier island in that it has no protection from the ocean. The coast is also concave at MB, which would help worsen a storm surge.

If you are planning on moving to the MB area and are concerned about hurricanes, you would experience much less damage if you were several miles or more inland of the intracoastal waterway. There would still be wind damage, but if you were away from rivers, creeks and tidal marshes you should be ok as far as water damage is concerned.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The closest hits MB has taken from hurricanes in the last couple of generations were from Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and from Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Hazel's eye crossed the coast at the NC/SC line about 25 miles northeast of MB and the center of Hugo's eye crossed the coast in the neighborhood of Bull's Bay, just northeast of Charleston. This is about 60 miles southwest of MB. MB sustained damage and storm surge during both storms, but the damage was only bad right along the coast in MB proper. North of MB had severe damage during Hazel, but it was very sparcely populated at the time. Charleston was in the western eyewall during Hugo and suffered severe damage. If another category 4 hurricane either had its eye pass directly over Myrtle Beach or within 30 miles southwest of MB, the damage there would be severe with a very bad storm surge. MB is, for all intents and purposes, on a barrier island in that it has no protection from the ocean. The coast is also concave at MB, which would help worsen a storm surge.

If you are planning on moving to the MB area and are concerned about hurricanes, you would experience much less damage if you were several miles or more inland of the intracoastal waterway. There would still be wind damage, but if you were away from rivers, creeks and tidal marshes you should be ok as far as water damage is concerned.

Thank you so much for the info. Yes I am moving to Carolina Forest on the other side of the Intercoastal waterway. It's about 10 minutes from the coast.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm not sure where that is, exactly, but if it isn't a low-lying area you'll only have to worry about the wind.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM

153 posts, read 769,511 times
If you're going to be living in Carolina Forest, you should not have any problems with a storm surge for hurricane damage. Wind will be your biggest concern with all of the tall, thin pine trees that easily snap during a Category 4 storm. Alot of my hometown's trees suffered damage after Hugo. If you have insurance for wind, then you'll be just fine.

MB has had some good fortune of not having a direct hit, unlike Chas.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
I survived Hugo. Of course were were in the Andrews area visiting family when it hit. Was the worst thing I've ever been through. Here lately in MB, we have had minor storms. I still worry about another 3 or 4 storm hitting this are.
I can tell you that our insurance went up $28.00 every three months on our home this year. Which sucks!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:04 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
The MB area has been spared for many years, regarding significant damages, be it wind or water related.

We did have a freak tornado in 1999, or at least I think it was 1999.

I've lived here, in MB, for 15 years and I've never left. Of course, during those times, I have been in a position that required my staying here for business reasons.

I simply can't believe that any one coastal area is any more or less likely to be the victim of a major storm. Luckily enough, look at the northern coastline of SC and you'll see that it sits in a 'bowl'. I think that this may play a part in why we have been spared the damages incurred by Kure Beach & Wrightsville Beach in NC.

Being in Carolina Forest, you'd be more concerned with wind related damage as opposed to water damage, unless, of course, your roof blew off.

I don't think I'd be worried about hurricanes as much as I would be worried about build quality..

Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 PM

While the concave nature of the north coast of SC may lessen the number of hurricanes that hit there, the same thing would worsen the storm surge if a major storm hit the area head-on. Being inland of the intracoastal waterway is smart.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM

Thanks to everyone this was very informative, I won't be staying in any hurricane but I'd sure hate to come home to a big mess. Well we are renting this weekend, they are already turning on the electric and the internet. They move fast in MB.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
We have friends who live between the two 17s (business and bypass) and they rarely evacute during a hurricane threat. They just bring everything outside in and put up plywood over their windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area