Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
(there is a dog beach i assume - have yet to research)
There is a really nice dog park (The Bark Park, I believe it's called) somewhere near the Market Common. I'm sure with a little research you could find more information on it, but I do know it has a pond and you can let your dog run off the leash and interact with other dogs.

As far as the ocean beaches, there are leash laws and on certain beaches dogs are not allowed at all until after 5:00 p.m. Each town/city along the beach has their own dog/animal ordinances. You can check their web sites for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,451 times
sooo am i wrong or does it not seem like MB is that dog friendly of a city? I mean, leashed at all times on the beaches? that's crazy! I understand fully the time restrictions, but geez what dog doesn't want to frolic and frap in the waves and sand! well anyway, onto another curiosity... are there state parks... are there places to hike with my dogs? (OFF LEASH lol).... or do i have to worry about gators and such in these places as well? oh man im beginning to rethink my moving thoughts... my dogs are my babies as i am not a mom yet so i do think about them when making decisions.

i do come from a place with abundance of outdoor activities so i guess that's a main concern of mine...
thanks for everyone's input on all subjects!!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
sooo am i wrong or does it not seem like MB is that dog friendly of a city? I mean, leashed at all times on the beaches? that's crazy! I understand fully the time restrictions, but geez what dog doesn't want to frolic and frap in the waves and sand! well anyway, onto another curiosity... are there state parks... are there places to hike with my dogs? (OFF LEASH lol).... or do i have to worry about gators and such in these places as well? oh man im beginning to rethink my moving thoughts... my dogs are my babies as i am not a mom yet so i do think about them when making decisions.

i do come from a place with abundance of outdoor activities so i guess that's a main concern of mine...
thanks for everyone's input on all subjects!!
I come from the Jersey Shore. Just returned from SW Florida. Our dog travels with us everywhere we go. My impression is that the Mrytle Beach area is the most dog friendly place we have found. Especially the State Parks! I take our Pug to Huntingdon Beach State Park all the time. In Jersey and on most Florida beaches you cannot even bring a dog, leash or not.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Baylovers - Luvved the pics, thanks for sharing. I envy you happening upon the dolphins in the river. I kayak out there a good bit and have never run across any. A couple years ago, the newspaper had photos of a dolphin that had strayed into the creeks behind Waverly Mills. I think they were finally able to get it turned and headed downriver.

Quote:
am i wrong or does it not seem like MB is that dog friendly of a city?
Last year, Pawleys Island changed their regulations to require dogs be on a leash at all times. That was based upon the town attorney's review of SC state laws that prohibits an owner from allowing "his dog to run at large off of property owned, rented, or controlled by him." Apparently, provisions are made for dog parks but not for public places such as a beach. Counties are not permitted to pass local regulations that are more tolerant than state regulations.

To date, I don't recall seeing any other municipality take that position, but I'm a little surprised no one has pushed the issue. Besides, I don't recall seeing much enforcement anywhere - Pawleys, state park, etc.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Yes, a leash on the beach.........But, on days of no crowds I have seen an unleashed dog jump into the surf and we all were happy for the pet.
The pet park is fun. We use to take our two dogs there.
I have to say just over the border we were parked at the back side of a golf course. We usually saw a huge, huge, alligator there.........He wasn't there this day. But........right by the edge where our car was parked we saw eyes.......
My huband said, " Is it"........and lo' and behold' it was. Right there where one would perhaps let their dog out of the car to romp, or walk.......was one hiding. Hubby got a bit too close also.......but, I took pictures that day. I think they are home on a disc........A bit too close for comfort.
Loving our dogs too, I'd never walk them by the edges of one of the ponds or lakes.........cause' like this one, you just don't know.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I come from the Jersey Shore. Just returned from SW Florida. Our dog travels with us everywhere we go. My impression is that the Mrytle Beach area is the most dog friendly place we have found. Especially the State Parks! I take our Pug to Huntingdon Beach State Park all the time. In Jersey and on most Florida beaches you cannot even bring a dog, leash or not.
Very true........Huntington Beach SP and the general Myrtle Beach area is the most pet friendly we have ever come across also.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,033 times
saw a picture of a 15' alligator killed at Pawleys Island dated September 20th on Facebook.. can you find this picture?

Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 AM

29 posts, read 43,917 times
Just reading thru this thread and I have a question...I am looking to buy a house in Carolina Forrest in a subdivision that has the man made lakes, if my house is not on one of these lakes what are the chances of seeing alligators, or even snakes for that matter? And if I have woods behind me, will we have a lot of bugs ( Mosquitos )? Are there any bears in these areas?( just asking)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area