Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times

Advertisements

The only step to becoming a SC resident is to move to the state and then say you are a resident. There are no official steps. However having done this, you are THEN required to change your driver's license, insurance, file tax returns, etc. However none of these are required to be a resident if you don't have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM

24 posts, read 76,134 times
In answer to traveling to skirt DC and Northern VA you can take 301 and then get back on 95 not too far above Richmond. You do go through a lot of towns in MD and there is some slow traveling through them, but we still prefer it to the mess on 95 around DC and Northern VA.
We take 95, go through the old harbor tunnel in Baltimore, pick up 97 and from there pick up 301. You can also pick up 301 right in DE and get off 95 there.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 11,153 times
where do we pay for the tax on auto's to get tags

Old 11-03-2009, 07:17 AM

343 posts, read 726,295 times
This personal property tax is paid at any Horry County Treasurer's Office (assuming you live in Horry County). They base the tax on the book value of your vehicle. There is an office on 21st Avenue North in Myrtle Beach (there are other offices throughout the county) which is right across the street from Motor Vehicles Dept. In the future the county will mail you your annual tax bill, which can be mailed in or paid in person at any of the county treasurer's offices.

When you pay the tax, the treasurer's office will give you a receipt which you must have for DMV to get tags, title, stickers, etc.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM

18 posts, read 83,360 times
When you go to the Treasurers Office to pay your vehicle property tax, remember to bring your title bc you need to transfer it from your current state to SC. It costs $15 to do this, and they mail it to you a couple of weeks later.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 19,840 times
Cool moving also,,,bucksport area

hi ,,,can anyone tell me about bucksport area? off 701 ? anything you can say will be a help in deciding do i want to buy in that area or not.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 11,053 times
We bought a house in Conway, SC this summer. I am retiring in June 2010. We will be snow birds, 6 months here, Pa. and 6 months down there in S.C. My wife wants to obtain a SC drivers license. But I want to keep my Pa driver's license. Pa doesn't tax state pensions, but SC does. I need to have my Pa. license for residency in Pa. Can anyone tell me how to beat the real estate law in SC?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
We are closing on a small condo in Naples Florida in March. I love Murrells Inlet. We will keep our townhouse here. But we fell in love with SW Florida also. Besides, it's still too cold winters in SC. We will work on ditching the home in NJ in then near future. The question is: Do we try to become Florida residents or SC residents?

There were some comments on car insurance before. I found this interesting.....

We carry three cars and three drivers on our Geico auto policy. I went on line and ran the numbers for Murrells Inlet and Naples Florida.

In NJ we are paying $1,255 for a six month policy.
If we relocated to Naples Florida, it would be $1,400 for six months.
If we relocated to Murrells Inlet, it would be $964 for six months.

+1 for SC. Florida's auto registration rates are high, at least that what I was told.

However, Florida does not have a state income tax. NJ or SC would tax my pension check.

Decisions, decisions........

Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,803 times
After another infuriating trip to the DMV, and still unable to switch my drivers license, I remembered seeing this thread on City Data. I thought I would look it up to see if anyone had experienced the same problems that I am going through. I am starting to feel like the state of South Carolina does not want me to become a resident.

Apparently the fact that the Federal Government, along with the state of PA and MD, believes that Denise Watt, Denise Kuryea, and Denise Watt Holcomb are all the same person is just not enough for SC. Now, not only do I need my marriage license from my current marriage (which I brought), but also the one from my previous marriage in 1984. I consider myself to be a fairly clear-minded and reasonable person but I can't figure out why the fact that I maintained the same Social Security number over my 45 years of life and all three names and I presented a VALID drivers licenses from the state of MD with my name from my first marriage along with a VALID amended drivers license with my current name isn't enough to prove that I am who I say I am. I could see if I was obtaining a new license but I am only transferring an already VALID one from another state.

Sorry ... I just had to vent a little

On a more positive note, the wait in line has been discussed on here and I didn't find that to be a problem. It took them no time at all to aggravate the heck out of me.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
I am probably going to buy a new 2010 vehicle. Since the vehicle I will trade in (my GMC Sonoma pickup) will probably not be making a trip to SC in the near future, I figured I'd make the purchase in NJ. We have our townhouse in SC, but we are still NJ residents with NJ DL's and all. No matter where I buy the vehicle, I was going to register it in SC. (Can do, correct?)

If I buy it in NJ I will pay NJ sales tax. Then I will have to pay SC a value fee of some kind when I register it there. Would I be better off tax and fee wise to purchase in SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area