Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,965 times

Advertisements

so check it out. i currently live in erie, pa. its great june thru august. but once the snow starts to roll in around september, i want to off myself. the night life is decent and the lake is a blast, but it only lasts for a short time. i love my friends and fam, but its time for a change in scenery.

i am a (polite*) single 22 year old male with apx $25,000 in the bank. i have no outstanding debt or payments. i have a full ride college scholarship to anywhere in the U.S.

i am seriously considering moving to myrtle beach. i have been there briefly on 2 seperate occasions. i plan on moving into an appartment and going to college. i have previously lived in jacksonville, NC (trash-hole USA) and wilmington, NC (very nice, but too close to camp lejeune).

is there any good colleges around myrtle beach i should research?? i want to pursue a career in communications/ advertising.
is it easy to get around myrtle beach (i have a car*) ??
how is the the nightlife for young ppl like myself?? (i want to go to college and learn, but i also like to have fun)
should i be looking at charleston or a different part of SC?? maybe FL... maybe L.A.??
any additional questions i should be asking??

thankyou for your support SC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM

i recently got off the phone with a good friend who moved to the surfside area. he really likes it. he also said to check into garden city. colleges he recomended include horry and coastal carolina... apparently charleston is also a great place to be.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 PM

32 posts, read 123,584 times
Of the places you mentioned, your age, and the $25,000 you have saved consider this advice (BTW, I'm 26 but have done a lot in life as far as success and living places):

LA - Since you mentioned nightlife / parties, etc, you will want to live near the "scene" which is W. Hollywood or Beverly Hills. That is going to easily run you $2,500 a month for a decent one bedroom apartment. Your going out expenses will be very high as well, easily $250 or more a night ($1,000 plus for bottle service) if you ever want to hit the hot places like Area, Hyde, etc. Also, take into consideration fashion expenses. Your attire will be much more expensive just to blend in compared to other places.

However, the school choices are great.

Myrtle Beach- Cheap apartments (like $800 a month will get you a very nice 2br 2bath unit). Many nightlife choices.. Not anywhere near the quantity or quality of a major city, especially LA but you will have a good time. Checkout Club Kryptonite or any of the Broadway at the Beach bars to hookup with easy college and tourist girls..

Florida- The state is so large but break it down by section. Personally I only like Southeast Florida from Palm Beach to Miami. Its the Beverly Hills of FL and full of NY-Wall St. wealth abd not cheap to live.. The rest of the state varies from Orlando being the theme park capital (Disney, Universal, etc) and the most visited summer tourist destination in the summer.. to all other average larger city areas like Tampa, etc.

Consider Las Vegas.. Biggest party scene, fashion, experiences, etc. It offers everything in a dry heat climate.. It did snow an inch in January of this year, but that is unusual. I hit the strip in nothing more than a light sweater on the coldest days while visiting.. Its a place you can find any lifestyle you're seeking..

Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,610 times
Quote:
i have a full ride college scholarship to anywhere in the US...
Let me see if I've got this right... You can go free to any US college, and you're going to make that selection by finding a party town you like, then going to school nearby??

I'm sure it's just a dumb*** old-fart suggestion, but have you ever considered choosing a school with a good reputation that will give you the best chance of being successful and happy in your chosen field? Live there 4 years, study hard, graduate high, then find a job in a location where you'd like to live. It really works better that way.

Quote:
any additional questions i should be asking??
Yep, ask yourself whether your priority is a good education or a good party? If you choose the second one, ask yourself whether you're willing to spend the rest of your life paying for that choice... Good luck.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:05 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,978 times
Default Gotta say...

I totally, completely, absolutely, agree with PawleysDude. You need to base your decision on the college itself and the quality of the education you will get there. Your priority should be getting the very best education possible, in preparation for a good-paying job that you will want (and hopefully, get.) Then worry about how much fun you'll have where you're living. You won't have much fun in life if you go to an inferior school, based solely on location.

On the other hand, you can base your decision on the fun factor and afterwards find that the school of "hard knocks" is another way you can learn.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Let me see if I've got this right... You can go free to any US college, and you're going to make that selection by finding a party town you like, then going to school nearby??

I'm sure it's just a dumb*** old-fart suggestion, but have you ever considered choosing a school with a good reputation that will give you the best chance of being successful and happy in your chosen field? Live there 4 years, study hard, graduate high, then find a job in a location where you'd like to live. It really works better that way.

Yep, ask yourself whether your priority is a good education or a good party? If you choose the second one, ask yourself whether you're willing to spend the rest of your life paying for that choice... Good luck.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,978 times
Also, just curious, but what's with the * after polite and car? I'm not sure what that means.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 PM

32 posts, read 123,584 times
Depending on your career choice don't worry about school. If you plan to become an attorney, doctor, etc., then yes it is important. But even the best (highest net worth) financial brokers I know were dropouts or the other extreme, Ivy educated (Harvard).

I know very few successful business owners who finished or even went to college. However, I know a ton of middle America losers (meaning like 50 years old and couldn't find even $1M net worth if their primary home was paid off and their stock portfolio was back in October 2007 at 14,000 DOW) who did the four year public school thing...

And I think I give the best advice on this subject.. My life line is "kicked out of high school at 17, bought first Ferrari at 24".

Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 AM

great advice all, thankyou. the (polite*) part has to do with the fact that ive seen many a**hole transiantes move to seaside SC, and i dont want to stereotype myself as one of those ppl.

the school vs. party aspect. well approached.

kats in partcular. the "finished college guy vs. successful dropout guy" is a great point. a persons level of success is often determined by drive, not education. excellent life line statement. how exactly you dropped out at 17 and bought an italian supercar at 24 is a story i can only guess about. however its a story i would like to hear, in a more private environment.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hats View Post
Depending on your career choice don't worry about school. If you plan to become an attorney, doctor, etc., then yes it is important. But even the best (highest net worth) financial brokers I know were dropouts or the other extreme, Ivy educated (Harvard).

I know very few successful business owners who finished or even went to college. However, I know a ton of middle America losers (meaning like 50 years old and couldn't find even $1M net worth if their primary home was paid off and their stock portfolio was back in October 2007 at 14,000 DOW) who did the four year public school thing...

And I think I give the best advice on this subject.. My life line is "kicked out of high school at 17, bought first Ferrari at 24".
I agree with you....I never went to a 4yr college but the college I did attend only taught me there was another way to make it in the world....a way 9-5ers will never understand.

Don't ever buy into college reputation....they are a business that like our credit rating system in america is flawed but its the only unit of measure in the career world so its required unless you fall from wealth. I have seen networking get people a lot farther and combining education and networking can create a lot of wealth.

Advice to the poster above....its 2009 as I post this. Im in Ohio right now and know what you are talking about the weather thing as much as the seasons make you feel at home it makes you feel short changed on living life if you are into getting outside and doing things. Just get a couple cities together and write everything on the wall so to speak and just pick whats best for you and what you want.....don't go to a school cause of their reputation go to a school because of its education and location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area