Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me anything about "A Place at the Beach" Condos on Shore Dr. I have seen a few annual rentals for 800 per month and was hoping to find out if this place is thumbs up or thumbs down. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM

154 posts, read 389,800 times
I have stayed at A Place at the Beach several times over the last 25 years and are planning a family reunion in August with most families staying in these units. It really depends what you are looking for or expecting.

We have stayed in the APATB III phase 1 building (right next to Ocean Annie's).

We love them because they are cheap and right on the beach. Some of the units have the original 70's decor and some have been updated. One of the units we stayed in was renovated after the Ocean Annies roof tore up the place in Hurricane Hugo (?).

Pros: cheap, right on the beach
cons: no elevator, old decor (some units), no waterpark, no fancy amenities. "window-unit" AC

If you have more specific questions I'd be glad to answer.

EDIT: Don't know much about annual rentals. We have always gone for a week at a time on vacation.

Last edited by flamtap; 05-13-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: added info on annual rentals

Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks so much flamtap. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am moving from out of state and appreciate all the information I can get. I was not aware that there were units that were actually on the beach, I thought they were across the street. I am not sure I am crazy about the units being dated, but maybe I will be lucky enough to find one that has been renovated. How about the area? Could you tell me if it is more or less crowded than other areas (I know most of Myrtle Beach is crowded but relatively speaking)? Is it a nice area? Thanks again flamtap I appreciate your help.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM

154 posts, read 389,800 times
I'll try to answer your questions but as a one-week-every-few-years vacationer I may not be the best source!

The building we stay in is on the beach. Walk down the hall, down about 10 steps and you're on the sand. (More steps if you are on 2nd or 3rd floor)

There are no washer & dryer in the units but there are coin machines on one of the floors.

Ask for photos and info about the unit you are looking at.

Here are links to a variety of VRBO rental pages:
Myrtle Beach Vacation Rentals by Owner, Myrtle Beach VRBO®, Myrtle Beach Condo Rentals by Owner, Myrtle Beach Vacation House Rentals (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/south-carolina/myrtle-beach/myrtle-beach#a5733 - broken link)

Here's a "bird's eye view" of the complex:
Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

Shore Drive is a dead-end of sorts, so there's not too much traffic in the immediate vicinity. There are only 2 major roads out to Hwy 17, and these can get pretty busy at dinner times during the summer months. On one of these roads is a Kroger (grocery store) and the other is a Super Wal-Mart and outlet mall. There are several restaurants and beach shops in the area but getting to the restaurants, golf courses, and other MB attractions means you need to get to Hwy 17.

MB is crowded in general, but since these are low-rise units there won't be as many people competing for beach space.

If you are thinking of this for a long term stay keep in mind that the majority of people in these buildings and in the general area (for Summer anyways) are vacationers staying for a week at a time.

Nice area? I think it's fine. We've never had trouble, but you never know. For the money it can't be beat.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 AM

Wow Thanks so much! This is packed full of valuable information. Thanks for the bird's eye view, it can't get any clearer than that. I checked out the entire area.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,502 times
Units are a bit outdated, but some owners have updated them. Its Right smack on the beach and you can walk to a fun outdoor bar at the end of the road. Great neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks. We ended up settling in another location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area