Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM

455 posts, read 669,506 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you are pretty unhappy in Loris. Are you Tennessee dreaming?? If you need any info, maybe I can help. I am a transplanted northerner also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM

21 posts, read 56,830 times
Hey there! I am unhappy. This is not like me either! I have always been a very content,versitile person! This place really has beat me down. TN is where were hoping to go Maryville area. The crime here is unreal.Comming from NH we used to leave our cars running while grocery shopping in the winter,even though this is a small town the crime is up,some that never even makes the paper bc it's a corrupt local goverment here. I miss NH terribly the small town feel,kind friendly people,welcoming people,scenery ect.It's unlikely we will go back bc this place has broke us, But TN is the next best thing!! Thank u for your kind response, wasn't expecting that. I just get so tired of people saying I'm so lucky to live here by the beach when all the beach is, is strip joints,traffic & crime! Thanks again!! =)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 AM

455 posts, read 669,506 times
You know, that's how I felt about the MB area. The only place we could find that looked liveable was the Murrel's Inlet or Pawley's Island area. But then, you are so isolated from everything else. Charleston was still a drive away, nothing really close to get excited about..except the ocean of course, which I miss terribly being from the NY area. We're not golfers, so that did nothing for us either. And it seems like crime is all over the area. I have relatives in Socastee who had to put a flood light on the back of their house, in a nice development, because people were stealing copper off the back of homes there.
If you are from a small town in New Hampshire, I believe you will enjoy Maryville. It is very pretty and near the Smokies, yet a short drive to Knoxville. Maryville College makes for a peaceful setting too. Tennessee may not be quite as forward thinking as NH, depends what you're into. I live on the lake in Tellico, just south of Maryville. We chose this place over MB and I do believe we made the right decision. We have a boat and wave runner out the door and Vols games in the fall. It's a nice life. But, I miss the food and all the action of the NY area.. so I guess no one can be completely satisfied... I do hope you get to move to TN, but I suggest you do visit first. Every place has it's own vibe and it's good to know before you go! Good luck with everything...

Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 AM

21 posts, read 56,830 times
Thanks so much for your reply. I just get so tired of people thinking I'm living in this great area and all the people who think of it as a great area moving here. I don't like city life but I do like being close to everything. Husband is from Jackson,nj.They hate yankees down here! And it is not a life here at all.I'm so looking foward to tn...Somthing to finally appricate! TY

Old 06-20-2010, 06:13 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,569 times
Loris is a very very small town with high crime. We moved here back in Sept. There is really nothing here but farms and run down homes (minus where we live and a few other nice areas). We have to drive almost an hour to get anywhere decent to shop, but that's the price we paid to get away from Carolina Forest traffic, I guess.

701 is a deathtrap. People drive on the opposite side of the road into oncoming traffic like it's nothing! I see it every single day and I'm still amazed by it. I love my neighbors for the most part, however. We've had some issues as I've mentioned in other threads, but all in all, it's ok living out here.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 26,700 times
I was born in Loris and have lived here most of my life (lived in NMB a couple years). I just recently built here and I think it's the best of both worlds - small town but close to MB. The crime is what it is but no worse than Myrtle Beach or any other place. I feel very safe in my neighborhood and our neighbors are great. I think Loris is one of the places on the Grand Strand thats still relatively affordable as far as housing and it's only 20 minutes to North Myrtle / Little River. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Oh boy...wonder if you're my neighbor!!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,164 times
Default I Live in Loris SC

If I could sell my home and not lose money I would.

I've lived in large cities and small towns and knowing now what I know about Loris - I never would have purchased this house.

Drug dealers own the neighborhood. The number of cars making 3 to 5 minute round trips down the road is unreal. And - it's a dead end road; so they all drive past me with the windows down and the music blaring. All hours of the day and night.

There are very little land development regulations; 5 acres lot yields 5 unlicensed mobile homes. No permits issued. Call the County - oh, we will issue all permits when they apply for power - electricity.

At the moment, the closest structure to me is a mobile home with NO power, no water and a septic tank in the ground that is inoperable because there is no water to the home. AND - a daycare is being run out of this shack from 7 am to 6 pm. How safe can this be for the children? My vehicle has been broken in to. My storage shed has been broken in to.

ATV and motorcycle theft is rampant. Police raids don'y happen frequently enough - they haul the neighbors away and tow stolen ATV's away. Gunshots ring out at all hours of the day and night.

The County Police are wonderful professionals - there is just too much crime from druggies.

Run away. As far from Loris as you can. Or be prepared to set up a security system around your home and arm yourself.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 PM

I heard it was bad in certain areas, but I didn't realize just HOW bad. But after reading your post, I feel badly for those who have to live like that.

Both of my parents and my grandparents grew up in the Bronx, NY. When my dad was a kid they actually had a plot of land next to them that they grew a garden on. Eventually it all gave way to homes. Crime soon followed. Instead of nice, upstanding people moving in, you have thugs and drug dealers.

I grew up in Dutchess County, NY and I never experienced anything like I've had to face since I've moved down south. Severe poverty. Lack of income or poor wages. Racism. Poor educational system. High crime comparative to the area and population. The only thing I ever knew about was Kendall Francois, a mass murderer of prostitutes that did drugs...and of course...the Tawana Brawley case. But that was just stupidity, nothing real.

Seems like there's some new thing going on in this area. Someone kidnapped, raped, murdered. Stores broken into. Thugs. I am taking my life in my hands every single time I pull out onto 701. People truly pass each other with oncoming cars nearby. The police pull you over for speeding, but not for reckless driving. One would think that would bring them a higher fee!!

Loris has it's charm as a small town, but it's dead. Most of the businesses are gone or buildings long left unoccupied. They need a revitalization like Conway did, but unforunately, the unsavory people that live in the center of town keep businesses away.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,114 times
HI, Loris is defiantely a nice area and grown over the last few years. I live in Longs and work in Loris. I think I have the best of both worlds in Longs as I am close to everything. I would recomend checking our area out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area