Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2006, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 75,029 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Myrtle Beach, SC. Hows the crime rate? I read that it was not good. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you. Also, any comments about Longs, SC are appreciated too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,440 times
I guess all thingss are relative... I moved down to Pawleys Island after checking many areas around Myrtle Beach & found it to be pretty safe in comparison to NYC! But in reality, you will find that most areas of MB are safe but you can find some crime in the resort areas. Obviously, the more transient population tend to draw the drugs and therefore crime. You may want to check North Myrtle Beach or Surfside. Close enough to MB without the trouble.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:35 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,789,699 times
Where are you moving from? I just moved right outside Myrtle Beach and so far love it here. Friends of mine bought a house in Longs and they really like it also. Myrtle Beach is a very busy area with lots of traffic but also lots to do. Longs is not far from there and more rural.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 AM

197 posts, read 958,958 times
Default MB, Longs

The data on this site suggests a pretty high crime rate for Myrtle Beach. That is really kind of surprising. I would have thought Wilmington had a higher crime rate, but obviously not. (I have lived b/w the two most of my life except when I lived in Raleigh NC and Columbia SC, and in both of them at different times!! mb 1990s; wilmington 2003-06) Myrtle Beach just doesn't seem to have that general reputation--- maybe it's mostly the
vacationers/transients causing/affected by the crime?? Not sure about that one.

Longs used to be (20 years ago) an intersection of two country roads
with a gas station. The station is still there.
Now it is an intersection with a two lane road and 4 lane highway (9).
It is about 10 miles inland from North Myrtle Beach on Highway 9,
b/w NMB and Loris. Loris is a small "traditional" town(business district,
traditional neighborhoods, etc.).

Now, there are golf course and housing developments sprouting up
everywhere between NMB and Loris on Highway 9.
So, basically, Longs is outgrowth/"suburb?" of North Myrtle Beach, and most houses with a Longs address are either in the "country" or are in a housing or golf course development.
There is a grocery store near the Longs intersection, near the post office, and shops are popping up here and there, on Highway 9 everywhere b/w NMB and Loris, but, there is no real "town" of Longs.

Nice if you want to be near the beach but not right on the beach.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:23 AM

19 posts, read 64,643 times
Surfside is a nice area and Murrells Inlet. Need to have lots of money to live around there but they are both beautiful areas!! With the rising cost of insurance, taxes and the cost of homes in general on the coast we can't afford to live here. It is a great place to visit. My mother retired here and bought her home 4 blocks from the Ocean and she loves it! She got in at the right time for buying her home. She could sell the home for more than double what she paid 4 years ago! CRAZY!! I wish I would have or could have bought some property and had that kind of a turn around!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,699,829 times
The crime rate in the MB is skewed by the tourist industry. There are hotel room break-ins, pickpockets, etc. that aren't found in non-tourist areas. As a whole, the area is very safe.

I'd suggest, as some others have, looking outside of MB proper. When we were thinking of moving there we looked to Socastee, Surfside, Forestbrook and Carolina Forest. They all have excellent schools, if that's an issue for you.

Murrells Inlet is mostly in Georgetown County, although some neighborhoods are in Horry County. The Garden City area between Surfside and Murrells Inlet is also nice. Pawleys, south of Murrells Inlet, is also in Georgetown County.

Longs and Loris are nice, small-town America areas, away from the high traffic and other "cons" of the tourist scene. Buying property there might be a great investment as the tourist sprawl will inevitably move westward.

Conway is also another option for a nice community with good housing values and lower insurance and taxes than closer to the beach.

Good luck with your search!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,201 times
Default relocating

Hi,
I need a lot of help. I am relocating from Connecticut to the Myrtle beach area. I am very interested in the Carolina Forest district but am concerned with taxes, house insurance and community fees. Do you have any idea about these things. I have looked into Conway but know absolutely nothing about the town and its safety and schools. I have a son who will be starting school in a couple of years so school and safety is very important to me. My other concern is that my son is spanish, I know there is racism every where but is it very promident in those areas.

I am looking for advice from any one. thanks.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,789,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingct-sc View Post
Hi,
I need a lot of help. I am relocating from Connecticut to the Myrtle beach area. I am very interested in the Carolina Forest district but am concerned with taxes, house insurance and community fees. Do you have any idea about these things. I have looked into Conway but know absolutely nothing about the town and its safety and schools. I have a son who will be starting school in a couple of years so school and safety is very important to me. My other concern is that my son is spanish, I know there is racism every where but is it very promident in those areas.

I am looking for advice from any one. thanks.
I moved to Conway from NJ less than two months ago and love it here. I have been to CT several times and I have to tell you it's a lot different here. Not bad or good different, just different. If you can, you should come here a couple times before moving and check out the area. Like anywhere there are pros & cons but so far I have seen mostly positive things here. The weather is so nice and so are the people. I don't know much about the school system but I'm sure you can look that up on the internet. I did hear there are some good schools in this area but I couldn't tell you which ones they are. Prices on houses and the taxes are probably the best thing about the area. As far as your son, when you live in a metropolitan area people are usually more open minded and less judgemental because there are a lot more people of different cultures so not that it would be a problem here but it's not the same as CT/NJ/NY. I don't know how old your son is but if he is a positive, secure, friendly person then it shouldn't matter. Good luck and if you have other questions, send me a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area