Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,221,738 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Myrtle Beach in the 60s and 70s and I still have family who lives there. My Dad has been there since the 30s. There have been rumors like this, and especially about Disney for decades and none of them are true. Walt Disney never considered SC for Disney World because of the climate. It's too cold in the winter and Disney wanted a year round park. There have been a bunch of other rumors like this over the years. One that I remember very much is that the French were going to sell the Eiffel Tower to Myrtle Beach and they were going to set it up as a tourist attraction. However it is the Disney one that won't die even though it's been around for 3+ decades.

A theme park is not going to work in Myrtle Beach as Hardrock Park has demonstrated and several other now defunct ones (Pirate Land, Magic Harbor, etc) before it have proved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,563,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I grew up in Myrtle Beach in the 60s and 70s and I still have family who lives there. My Dad has been there since the 30s. There have been rumors like this, and especially about Disney for decades and none of them are true. Walt Disney never considered SC for Disney World because of the climate. It's too cold in the winter and Disney wanted a year round park. There have been a bunch of other rumors like this over the years. One that I remember very much is that the French were going to sell the Eiffel Tower to Myrtle Beach and they were going to set it up as a tourist attraction. However it is the Disney one that won't die even though it's been around for 3+ decades.

A theme park is not going to work in Myrtle Beach as Hardrock Park has demonstrated and several other now defunct ones (Pirate Land, Magic Harbor, etc) before it have proved.
Wow.... Downer. Something like that will never happen with attitudes like that.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM

899 posts, read 2,291,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
Regarding Disney, unfortunately, they are still considering the location east of OB, towards CT and MB. Orangeburg county is in the Top 10 Poorest in the U.S. and one of the most affordable.
I googled "Disney" and "Orangeburg" and came up with the themeparkinsider message board and your other post on City-Data on this subject. I remember hearing the rumors years ago about Disney to Myrtle Beach but I hadn't heard the one about Orangeburg. Sounds interesting and unbelievable at the same time! Does Disney actually own some land in Orangeburg, and I wonder for how long? It seems something like that would be in the news (although WIS has a story on its web page this week about Disney putting a new park in China).

Another thought is that it may be for another Disney Distribution Center like the one in Union County? I remember a/b 15 years or so ago when people were talking about Disney coming to Union County there were all sorts of grand ideas of what this would include. I remember some folks hoped it was going to be some giant Disney Emporium like you find down at WDW. Of course it's just a warehouse sitting out on a state highway away from any Interstates that used to have a small outlet store attached that sold returned or slightly-off products. Maybe the I-95/26 location is more ideal for something like this although Union can't stand to lose the jobs.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
I googled "Disney" and "Orangeburg" and came up with the themeparkinsider message board and your other post on City-Data on this subject. I remember hearing the rumors years ago about Disney to Myrtle Beach but I hadn't heard the one about Orangeburg. Sounds interesting and unbelievable at the same time! Does Disney actually own some land in Orangeburg, and I wonder for how long? It seems something like that would be in the news (although WIS has a story on its web page this week about Disney putting a new park in China).

Another thought is that it may be for another Disney Distribution Center like the one in Union County? I remember a/b 15 years or so ago when people were talking about Disney coming to Union County there were all sorts of grand ideas of what this would include. I remember some folks hoped it was going to be some giant Disney Emporium like you find down at WDW. Of course it's just a warehouse sitting out on a state highway away from any Interstates that used to have a small outlet store attached that sold returned or slightly-off products. Maybe the I-95/26 location is more ideal for something like this although Union can't stand to lose the jobs.
I talked to some people recently. All I can tell you that Disney owns land secretly in SC, but I can't tell you where exactly. Disney has closed some of their stores to purchase this land. Consider this, the rumours dislocate Disney anywhere between Neeses and Summerville, because the land is less expensive in this area between Orangeburg and Charleston.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Default Disney and Columbia's future growth towards South-West direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
For Disney to even consider doing anything it would have to be where the traffic is and that would be the Myrtle Beach area.
Charleston or Hilton Head doesn't get the traffic and are hard to get to from the North which is where the customer would be coming from.
Myrtle Beach is even hard to get to so that would another major problem for Disney.
I have heard this for a while now and my inside source in Myrtle Beach has told me that if Hard Rock is a huge success then you can bet one of the other companies like Disney or Universal will be seeing dollar signs.
They cannot even get the I 74 corridor finished so how could they handle another million people a year if Disney was there?
This is why they are widening parts of Hwy 321 between Columbia and Savannah. Take a look at your county's 25 year plans for the period until 2035. Here's one of them which you can see the future development from Lexington will shift towards Pelion by widening Hwy 6 southwards to connect it with Hwy 321 (future low country expressway) in the future towards Port of Savannah and Hardeeville/Bluffton/HHI:

Documents 1 to 10 of 100 matching the query "prioritized road widening projects".1. Rural Project Rankings 5-28-09.xls

Abstract: Overall CMCOG Widening Rank Route Route Name Length County Project Limits Existing Lanes Improved # of Lanes Total Score Estimated Project Cost with a 2.5% Inflationary Increase Running Total of Estimated Project Cost 1 SC 302 Pine St. /Edmunds Highway (B) 2.2 Lexington S-245 (Hartley Quarter Road)
http://www.centralmidlands.org/pdf/rural widening project rankings 5-28-09 ccp.pdf

See Project ID # 89 and Project ID # 27:

Abstract: Overall CMCOG Widening Rank Route Route Name Length County Project Limits Existing Lanes Improved # of Lanes Total Score Estimated Project Cost with a 2.5% Inflationary Increase Running Total of Estimated Project Cost 1 SC 302 Pine St. /Edmunds Highway (B) 2.2 Lexington S-245 (Hartley Quarter Road)
http://www.centralmidlands.org/pdf/rural widening project rankings 5-28-09 ccp.pdf
size 12217 bytes - 6/2/2009 1:06:42 PM GMT

Now please go here:

CMCOG - Transporation Planning

While there, click on CHAPTER 7 - HIGHWAY ELEMENT link.

Here it is:

http://www.centralmidlands.org/pdf/2...p/CHAPTER7.pdf

They are already working, widening parts of Hwy 6 in Edmund, Red Bank and Lexington, also parts of Hwy 321 as well. New county (countrywide?) standard is to create bicycle lanes and sidewalks on both sides of 5 lane roads everywhere.

In the future there will be speed rail network between Columbia (probably Greenville/Spartanburg as well) and Savannah and a bicycle route all the way to the coast in Bluffton and Savannah, HHI on the Hwy 321 future corridor. It will also be connecting Savannah with Charleston and with Myrtle Beach via coastal speed rail and bicycle route network.

Last edited by neonrider; 06-30-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Wow.... Downer. Something like that will never happen with attitudes like that.
Nope, had nothing to do with their attitude. Had to do with fact in point. In this case, they were absolutely correct. 2 failed amusement parks in 2 years. Great track record!

People don't want that type of attraction here. Water parks, maybe. Over priced amusement parks? Nope. This area just can't support it financially.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Of course, if a new development raises everyone's property taxes by a lot, then we don't need such development.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,243 times
Default Silly But Great

I'm from Greenville, S.C. and my family, I, and friends have been going on family vacations for 20 years to Myrtle Beach. I got back from Myrtle Beach just last night, and heard there might be a Disney Theme Park. There's really not enough places to have good clean fun. I like Disney, and would move there if there was a job opening. Our favorite vacation place is Myrtle Beach.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,149,862 times
That would be great

Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda samples View Post
I'm from Greenville, S.C. and my family, I, and friends have been going on family vacations for 20 years to Myrtle Beach. I got back from Myrtle Beach just last night, and heard there might be a Disney Theme Park. There's really not enough places to have good clean fun. I like Disney, and would move there if there was a job opening. Our favorite vacation place is Myrtle Beach.
There is no Disney type park here. Both amusement parks failed and went into bankpruptcy/forclosure. Like I said earlier, this area cannot sustain a Disney type park. They really rely more on favorable weather year round. We actually have a minor winter here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area