Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 13,046 times

Advertisements

I just got back from MB and it was a big difference from last year, I stayed at spring towers in NMB and it was packed this time last year, the bikers were every where by now, this year I counted 10 bikes from georgetown to NMB.
Last year I could not get a parking spot in the parking area for spring towers, this year my car was one of 5 in the parking garage. I wonder how it will be this summer? will the tourists come for only the big holidays? Gas at 4 a gallon is taking its toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:37 PM

11,714 posts, read 24,900,941 times
Count the number of highrises that have stalled down there. LOL. You'll lose count before you're finished.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM

882 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Bike week hasn't even started yet.. which is why you haven't seen that many bikes around. It kicks off SATURDAY.

Not sure what effect gas is going to have on our numbers this year. Very little, based on the past years. There has been such a building boom here over the last few years, the room count has increased and the tourists are spread out a bit more than in the last couple years.

I think our numbers will be flat, if anything, which is still good, considering that the proverbial sky is falling.. ;-)

Old 05-09-2008, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,141 times
I talked to a couple of realestate agents and was told that sales are down quite a bit.
Oil hit a new high today and at 4 a gallon it will not help. I can tell you that if the experts are correct and we are peaking out in oil, things will only get worse. Many people say things are fine we are awash in oil. I don't think this is true, I wish it was true.
We have waisted the last 8 years with a president who is more concerned with giving his buddies contracts and appointments than running the country. Some one should keep him bussy with shoots and ladders in the back of the oval office and do something. Problem is they are all former big oil people to the man and woman.
I was there in Myrtle Beach for bike week last year and things were very busy several days before the week it kicked off. I see that the tents are not even up yet in many of the parking lots. that says something.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM

5,598 posts, read 15,440,096 times
As most of you probably know already, tourism is one of the first industries negatively affected by the surging fuel price and dropping dollar value. Myrtle Beach might need to seriously think about attracting additional industries with more stability so that it will be able to remain healthy during a potentially long economic downturn or even a recession.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Bike week hasn't even started yet.. which is why you haven't seen that many bikes around. It kicks off SATURDAY.
Wrong: MyrtleBeachOnline.com | 05/10/2008 | Myrtle Beach bike rally off to slower start (broken link)

Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Ya know Gman.. I've bit my tounge about long enough...

I must have missed the memo that you are the resident expert on Myrtle Beach. No matter what gets posted on or about MB, you seem to have some sort of quick quip or comeback to offset the post or comment.

Oddly enough, I can cut/paste links from the Sun News myself, but seeing that I live here, I make my comments based on personal observations. Several of the vendors, bar owners, etc that I happen to know personally have reported that their numbers are up considerably from last year... but you won't read that in the Sun News, just as you'll rarely read the fact that hundreds of thousands come down here with no problems at all.. but let there be one fatality...

Personally, I thought our numbers would be relatively flat this year due to a number of reasons, but so far, so good.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Ya know Gman.. I've bit my tounge about long enough...

I must have missed the memo that you are the resident expert on Myrtle Beach. No matter what gets posted on or about MB, you seem to have some sort of quick quip or comeback to offset the post or comment.

Oddly enough, I can cut/paste links from the Sun News myself, but seeing that I live here, I make my comments based on personal observations. Several of the vendors, bar owners, etc that I happen to know personally have reported that their numbers are up considerably from last year... but you won't read that in the Sun News, just as you'll rarely read the fact that hundreds of thousands come down here with no problems at all.. but let there be one fatality...

Personally, I thought our numbers would be relatively flat this year due to a number of reasons, but so far, so good.
Hey, just doing my job to tell the truth over opinions.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Truth over opinions.. with the smilie.. I'll let that one slide by...

Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 AM

4 posts, read 11,072 times
Well the facts are in, this should have been a big week end. Traffic was very low here.
Traditionally the next or last weekend is a low turnout compared to the first.
There is no doubt that oil is taking its toll on tourism.
I would like to see how things are selling on the condo front. I would bet tomorrow's milk money that they are not.

I can tell you ocean street was not very busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area