Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

I and my family live in Myrtle Beach. We moved for work last year and things were booming. My mother in law is a cpa and found a job in a week. I am in plumbing and heating and found work in a week then found better work in another week. My sister in law found a job at a title office or att. office that workes in title. This winter I have seen my company lay off all but 3 of its employes, my sister in law has been layed off for lack of sales of homes.
My mother in laws office has talk of shutting down. and her sister has been layed off. My boss said in his 28 years of running his plumbing bus. he has never seen anything like this.
I moved from Michigan where the state is and has been going down the toilet.
I am a bit on the scared side watching things go bad here.
Has any one else seen the slow down in Myrtle Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,488,410 times
I'm sorry to hear that. I just stopped in the SC forum to see if there's more news on the new amusement park entertainment and your post caught my attention.

That is so surprising that things would be going downhill there now with the extra 3,000 jobs that have come in to town. Have you or anyone in your family checked for employment there? They should be needing people from several occupations.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM

215 posts, read 546,296 times
A few places that I can think of to check:

1. The new JC Penney's at the Grand Strand Mall. Believe they will be opening soon.

2. Market Commons is a tremendous shopping complex opening in March or April at the old Air Force Base. Bunches of trendy nat'l chain and local shops will be hiring. Some may be hiring now.

3. Hard Rock Park is the big complex out on Hwy 501, opening in March or April. They are hiring now, I believe. Lots of people, maybe hundreds.

The season is getting ready to start. Spring Break and Easter comes in March this year so local businesses, geared to the Tourist Season, will be hiring.

David

Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 6,433 times
these are all low paying tourist jobs. The higher paying jobs that are real estate related and construction related seem to be having a hard time, It also seems this is the way it is across the nation.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,486,871 times
Yeah, Myrtle Beach's economy revolves around building things, and tourists. When times get tight, vacations and new construction are a few of the first things to go.

I live in Wilmington, just up the coast, which has a more diversified economy like Charleston. We've been hit in those same industries, but not nearly as hard as MB. I'm sure it'll bounce back, though.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,700,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I just stopped in the SC forum to see if there's more news on the new amusement park entertainment and your post caught my attention.

That is so surprising that things would be going downhill there now with the extra 3,000 jobs that have come in to town. Have you or anyone in your family checked for employment there? They should be needing people from several occupations.
I will be posting some pictures shortly. I took them of the Park.......but I have to put them on disk and go through that process. I am only on an older computer here on vacation and .......can't do it the simple way. LOL

Actually, here where I am at in Oceanside Village, I see homes selling left and right. Everytime I go to peek at one, It is already pending.
So, I am not sure that the home market is all that bad right now. I do know that while looking at a few areas in N. Myrtle.......the homes seemed over priced. Something that is falling apart for almost 300......to me is ridiculous.
I really think there is a need of a "correction" time. Im sorry........I have llived in NJ and Pa I always look at pricing. But, if I am spending $300......the home can be small, but it should be painted, and more finished.....not falling apart at the seams. This needs TLC......railing falling apart, paint faded, insides outdated. I won't spend $300K for that. A sincere reduction is needed.
Prices have come down, and some, don't want to hear it....

Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,488,410 times
Summering, thank you. I'll be checking back for the pics.

I really do agree with you. The housing market was just a run away and it's easy to see why taxes and insurance are astronomical with the high cost of a home.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,700,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Summering, thank you. I'll be checking back for the pics.

I really do agree with you. The housing market was just a run away and it's easy to see why taxes and insurance are astronomical with the high cost of a home.
I have a Valentines party tonight......but, I'll get the disk tomorrow and put them on.......
Thanks

Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,971,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derspinnaswin View Post
I and my family live in Myrtle Beach. We moved for work last year and things were booming. My mother in law is a cpa and found a job in a week. I am in plumbing and heating and found work in a week then found better work in another week. My sister in law found a job at a title office or att. office that workes in title. This winter I have seen my company lay off all but 3 of its employes, my sister in law has been layed off for lack of sales of homes.
My mother in laws office has talk of shutting down. and her sister has been layed off. My boss said in his 28 years of running his plumbing bus. he has never seen anything like this.
I moved from Michigan where the state is and has been going down the toilet.
I am a bit on the scared side watching things go bad here.
Has any one else seen the slow down in Myrtle Beach?
Yes yes and another yes. We moved to MB last July, we loved it but there's no work for my husband who happens to be in Construction. We had to pack it up and move back to Phoenix. It was getting worse by the day, thank God we moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area